Apple Initiates Replacement Program for 3rd Generation Apple TVs With Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 15, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has notified its retail stores, authorized resellers, and AppleCare employees about WiFi issues being experienced by a small portion of its third generation Apple TVs, reports 9to5Mac. The units are having issues locating and joining WiFi networks and maintaining a connection.
    Apple technicians are authorized to replace affected products for two years from the original date of purchase at no charge to the customer after verifying that the devices are running software version 5.2.1 and that there are no third party interference issues.

The Apple TVs experiencing connectivity problems feature the following serial numbers:

[​IMG]
    The third generation Apple TV, which features support for 1080p video, was first released in March of last year. It was later tweaked in late January to include a smaller A5 chip.

Update: According to several readers, Apple has acknowledged that it initially erred in referring to the character pairs appearing the third and fourth positions of the serial number. The listed pairs would actually occur in the fourth and fifth positions.

Article Link: Apple Initiates Replacement Program for 3rd Generation Apple TVs With Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues

2. macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

first. haha naw apple tv is a good product never had wifi issues with mine

3. macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Oh wow, I've actually had mine replaced twice due to this. My third unit seems to be doing well, but this is great to know.

Also: what's the best news about this is seeing Apple actually acknowledge a problem. Too often they just remain silent or deny there's a problem, which is extremely frustrating :(

4. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Glad to know they are admitting there may be an issue and are replacing units which have the issue. Mine seems to be okay. :)

5. macrumors regular

...How about getting rid the HDCP so I can actually use mine without running it through a Faroudja and manually selecting the input in order to, in the end, obtain a slightly messed-with image?

6. macrumors 6502

Is there any chance this also affects the iPhone 4S? My 4S has terrible transfer speeds while connected to my home router. Two MBPs connect without issue.

7. macrumors 6502a

Where are instructions for fixing an AppleTV "bricked" by the last update?

8. GenesisST, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Although I don't have trouble connecting, I do notice that sometimes NetFlix will downgrade to crappy. blocky video... Even if speedtest.net shows a constant speed of 30 mbps...

Will check my serial number now...

EDIT: nope... had it been 4th and 5th alphanumerical it would have been yep... Feels like missing the last number of the lottery.... well, maybe not...

9. macrumors regular

typical apple response

This is a welcome change from their old reliable "you placed it by your tv wrong"

10. macrumors 68040

D.T.

Yeah, I just picked up two new ATV3s, and neither are having any issues yet, but I'm going to cross check my serials just to know I have an option _if_ they do start acting up...

11. macrumors P6

Peace

ahh..So close. I was off by one character.

There goes getting a free Apple TV.

Ha !
    :D

12. macrumors 603

Carlanga

Mine didn't last 5 mins connected. I had already sent it for replacement about 2 months ago and my 'new' refurbished replacement unit has been working great so far.

13. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Same here, but it is not a free Apple TV, you did pay for it before...

14. macrumors G3

charlituna

To their staff. They haven't sent a public notice like the Seagate hard drive thing. And there is nothing yet about refunding out of warranty repairs etc

15. macrumors 6502

soya

16. macrumors member

Mine works but more often buggy, and can not connect to my itunes most of the time. That is a pain in the rear being the main reason I own an apple tv. Tons of netflix connection errors where i'm about ready to give up on using it at all. I have no idea if mine is bad it seemed ok before the last update.

I like to add mine has no problem connecting to my home network/extreme base station just connecting to my mac ( waking it up), and netflix servers.

17. macrumors 65816

My serial is DY5H9DT2DRHN. Am I eligible? It says the 3rd and 4th but the H9 is the 4th and 5th alpanumeric letters.

18. macrumors 6502

the timing couldn't be better . ill be within a mile of the Apple Store this Friday and will be replacing this Badboy .

19. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Well, crap. I'm on the list. Apple just can't do Wi-Fi. Be it a signal loss on my MBP or the inability to sync with iTunes. :(

Yeah, I know... I'm probably holding it wrong.

20. macrumors 6502

did you try connecting rabbit ears to it ?

21. macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Mine ends in DRHN but does not have the other alphanumeric characters. Seriously the ********* airplay ever, songs just stop. Guess I'll bring it down to them and have it checked out for sure

22. macrumors 603

I wouldn't think you are officially eligible, but if you're having problems it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Mine is covered in that group but I haven't ever had a problem with WiFi, save for the occasional Netflix bug. I'll try to remember to take it in next time I'm by the Apple store, but it isn't really a priority for me.

23. macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Just called them -- they're overnighting a new one to me for free and they gave me AppleCare for $19 instead of $29.

[​IMG]

24. macrumors 6502

do you have to send the old one back ?

25. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

... Surely you're kidding.

Of course you do.