Apple Insiders CONFIRM 970 Use - says Wired

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by law guy, Feb 28, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

law guy

Jan 17, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    In an article from October '02, Wired ( posted the following:

"What, exactly, Apple plans to do with the new chips is unknown. Though sources close to the company confirm that Apple will be using the PowerPC 970, the company did not return calls requesting comment and has been tight-lipped about its 64-bit processor plans. "

The link is:,2125,55722,00.html

Similar hints have been made before (e.g. sources expect apple to be a customer, etc.), but I had not read anything so definitely phrased to date. The article is actually better than much of the cut-and-paste reporting out there.

In the same article, Pete Sampson - IBM Senior PowerPC architect states: "This design is aimed at four-way (systems)," said Sampson. "It can certainly support eight-way. It's intended for SMP."

Sampson also notes that the 970 will issue 8 instructions per clock cycle compared to the G4's 3.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2002
    well i think its pretty obvious that they will have to use the 970, otherwise Apple is pretty much screwed.
  3. macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Or in the suprise move of he century Motorola released the G5 oh yeah with 3MB of L4 Cache... and uh... have AGP 12x and uh... runs at 2.6 GHZ with a 4 stage pipeline.

What, its gonna happen!
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    Torrance, Californizzel
    " There is a little Steve in all of us!
    I got a 800 MHZ 17" 768 MB Ram iMac.
    Fold as if your life depended on it, and it might soon enough.
    Fold Now! Click me! "

Sure one clicks here, but that doesn't give ANYONE an idea of what the hell folding means....
  5. macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2002
    seattle, wa
    sounds pretty awesome. now i am off to go troll at a pc board
  6. macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2003
    mpls, mn
    I really like the way that sounds... how about a 4 way/2 ghz ppc-970/4 terabytes of ram configuration :) If apple adopts the ppc it sure will be powerful.