Apple install-base is 16%

Discussion in 'Community' started by sjjordan, Jun 5, 2005.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I found this Article on slashdot today and didn't see it posted here, so I thought I'd post it. It's pretty interesting. 16% is a lot higher than I thought it was.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, the article doesn't say much about how that number was arrived at. The "macs account for 18 percent of software sales" stat seems more reliable.

3. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

16 % certainly is a lot higher than what I've ever heard before ( max 5%)... but at the school of architecture I attend it's around 33% (and possibly rising). So perhaps there's a lot more macs out there than we've imagined :)

A

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, nothing new here... other than the fact that the last time I saw the number it was around 13% (ca. 2001). Mac users tend to stay with their systems for extended periods of time. Consequently, we don't get counted in things like market share very often (I haven't been counted in market share since the third quarter of 2000).

Personally, I'd rather keep this type of information quiet. We are less of a target for malicious attack if we are thought of as only being 3%*.

* Note: At 3% any virus would move very slowly through the mac community and could be quickly traced back to the writer... which is a deterrent. The higher the percentage, the less likelihood of finding the start of a virus/worm and the more the likelihood that someone will make an attempt. This makes 16% (or even the previous 13%) a scary number. :eek:

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Installed user base (the 16% number) is different than market share ('bout 3%). Installed user base is how many people are running Macs while market share is how many people purchased Macs during a given time period.

Lethal