Apple Installs XP on Apple Store iMacs

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 4, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Software
    Link: Apple Installs XP on Apple Store iMacs
    Description:: According to numerous reader submissions, Apple has reportedly installed Windows XP running Boot Camp on at least one Mac in each of its retail stores. We have as of yet been unable to confirm this for ourselves in person, but the number of reports seems to hint this is likely true. The majority of installations seem to be on iMacs, from what we are hearing. We are also getting reports that by default the iMac is running OS X, and only after a customers requests to see a Windows XP-on-Mac demonstration does an employee come over and reboot the system. Thanks for the tips, guys!

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors member

rodpascoe

A good thing.....

Hopefully help a few more converts........:)

3. macrumors member

oh yeah, tons of people need only a few programs for windows. it will help push the maybes over the edge.

4. macrumors regular

Now if only they would load the Adobe CS2 suite on an Intel mac...

5. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

CS3 would be better :D

Cmon Adobe pull your finger out. Next you'll be saying you need to recode again to take advantage of Leopard! :rolleyes:

6. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Only a matter of time before the Apple Stores start selling shrink-wrapped copies of Windows.

7. macrumors 6502a

I think this is BS (been a BS type of day). If they tell a unknowing customer that they, in no way, support that machine running XP, then I take back my BS statement.

8. macrumors member

rodpascoe

Think this will only happen when you can take your snowboard down the slopes of hell! :D

9. macrumors 6502a

Makes sense

As everyone knows, Apple's going to switch to Vista in January anyway ;-)

10. macrumors 6502a

I thought that happened when they release iTunes for windows, again with iPods for Windows, then again with the move to Intell chips, then again with Windows on Macs.....:)

11. macrumors regular

C00rDiNaT0r

I think during Fifth Avenue Apple Store grand opening, I saw a customer sitting at the genius bar installing XP while Steve Jobs was walking around the store. And I think he was getting some help there.

12. macrumors 603

solvs

I'd prefer a nice OEM discount with it preinstalled, but we all know that won't happen. Probably.

13. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well then, you'd better suit up!

I predicted this when Apple announced Boot Camp, and now it seems even more certain. It's not such a big deal -- you can already buy Windows at the Apple Store, as a part of VPC.

14. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's a possibility I suppose, but Microsoft has a nasty habit of extracting pounds of flesh from their OEMs. It's not as bad as it used to be, but still I'd rather Apple stay clear of that kind of relationship with Microsoft. PR-wise, it probably wouldn't be a very good deal. Too easy for the media to misrepresent and the public to misinterpret.

15. macrumors 68020

Hey, I dig it. (Not Digg, though.)

I think that it will only help Apple's hardware sales.

16. macrumors newbie

VPC XP work with boot camp

I have VPC 7. I haven't been using due to the speed issues. Does anyone know if the license for this version of XP could be used with a boot camp installation?

I realize now that this might not have been the proper place to post this question. I did find an answer for any one interested here.
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/
    Thank you for your patience.

17. macrumors 6502

From a legal perspective, your XP license for VPC7 is valid for bootcamp for the following reason...

If you had a PPC Mac that had XP loaded in VPC7 and then threw away your old PPC Mac for an Intel Mac, then you could not Legally use your old copy of XP in either VPC7 or Bootcamp because it would have been licensed for your old PPC computer.

Sure, you could make the argument that your copy of XP is fully legitimate as it is only loaded on one computer at one time and would be completely within your rights to do so under the Fair Use laws in the United States, however Microsoft's license agreement disagrees with you.

So, it all comes down to which legal document you agree with more...
    Microsoft's EULA or the United States Government's FUoCW.

18. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Not a chance. Apple isn't going to actively promote Windows sales. They are trying to promote Mac sales which is why they have a single system running Windows.

Which is an app that runs ON OS X not an app that run next to it. Remember at the end of the day Jobs is in charge. Look at his personality. He will only go so far with supporting Windows and that won't be in store copies of it. They don't need to do that. All a customer needs to know is that the system runs Windows and can do it by popping a CD of Windows into the drive.. They can go anywhere else to pick up a copy. Apple doesn't need to cater such sales because it won’t drive Mac sales which is, at the end of the day the single reason they have boot camp to begin with.. Sorry dude but it isn't going to happen.

19. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

No one is going to give a crap the least of which is MS. You call up and tell them that you migrated your license from one computer to another they will still reactivate it. I've done this several dozen times on new PC's I've build for friends.

20. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Interesting, since Apple is promoting Parallels instead of Boot Camp as the primary way to run Windows...

I've been very happy with Boot Camp, but picked up Parallels at Fry's earlier this week and finally got around to installing Win2K into it last night. I must say I'm very impressed! It's extremely responsive, and I even tried running a DirectX 8.1 game my kids enjoy and that worked flawlessly as well. Surprising since I still only have 512MB of RAM in the box.

In some ways this is a far more compelling demo since you can run Windows without losing OS X.

B

21. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We've debated this point before I think. I'm happy to wait and see who guessed right.

Just for the record, the reason I believe I'm right is because Apple will be rolling the Boot Camp technologies into Leopard, which means that they are already planning on actively promoting this solution. It doesn't make any retail sense for the Apple stores to be able to demonstrate a product that they don't sell. If a salesperson demonstrates Windows dual booting on the Mac on the floor, and the customer wants to buy it, then Apple will want to sell it to them, right then and there -- not send them away empty-handed, which more often than not represents a lost sale.

It's not such a big deal, really. As I pointed out, you can already buy Windows in an Apple Store.

22. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

I can see this confusing a few mums and dads out there who may be browsing the computers.:D I have seen a few people in stores looking at iMacs on display and asking where the 'Start' button is on screen. It is not until I point out to them that it is a Mac and not a PC that they say 'oh, gosh they look the same don't they' before moving on to somthing that they are more familiar with that has more software for it like a PC ;) . All of the school kids I have seen don't have a problem though since they spend all day. Good for Apple though, it might fool a few people.:rolleyes:

23. macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Its true, I was in the Birmingham Bullring store last week, was playing with Garageband with one of the shop guys, when just as I left, I heard the famous XP Logoff jingle, and thought "No way, they didn't?", turned around,m and there was a G5 with the XP logon screen! I was well amused!

Cheers

24. macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

A G5? How did a G5 get the XP login screen?

25. macrumors 6502

So I went to compusa today to pick up a new itrip and lo and behold look what i saw. Took the pics with my camera phone, just in case you folks wanted some verification.

Attached Files: