Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

140955-cinemadisplay_400.jpg

Confirming last minute rumors, Apple introduced their first LED-based Cinema Display today.
“The new LED Cinema Display is the most advanced display that Apple has ever made,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “It is a perfect fit for our sleek new line of aluminum MacBooks with its 24-inch LED-backlit screen, aluminum and glass enclosure, integrated camera, mic and speakers, MagSafe charger, three USB ports and Mini DisplayPort.”
The 24" LED Cinema Display adds a built-in iSight video camera, mic and speakers. Other features include:

- Mini DisplayPort
- MagSafe connector that powers and charges your new MacBook.
- Tthree self-powered USB ports
- 1920x1200 resolution
- LED screen

The new screen is priced at $899 and will be available in November and requires a new MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air with the Mini DisplayPort connector. More details can be found at http://www.apple.com/displays/

Article Link

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Applecare

When purchasing a display and a notebook on the same receipt Applecare is ALL encompassing :)

Pieira

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2003
"requires a new MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air with the Mini DisplayPort connector."

eh? really?

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Don't get me wrong... I want one... but $900 for a 24" monitor? You've GOT to be kidding me! Dell's, HP's, etc. cost less than half of that! And they work with more than one type of computer... this one is tied to APPLE laptops!?!?!

Seriously though, I still want one.

dam0dred

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
I was really hoping to get one of these... until I read I'd need a new MBP to run it. Bummer, they look beautiful.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Surprised Apple is not touting SWOP certification on this model as on previous.

Looks as if they are leaving the pro graphic market behind to an extent.

Understandable, as this market is now probably quite small.

WoFat

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
Nary a Desktop in Sight!

Didn't spot anyone using a desktop in that crowded room. I'm such a dinosaur.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
Apple must really be living in a parallel universe where the global economy is not in meltdown mode.

$899 for this? $1000 for 3 years' ago MacBook? You've got to be kidding me.

We are entering a long period of consumer pull back, there aren't enough fan boys in the world to keep up Apple's growth under these economic conditions at these prices.

Just like they cut down the insane $600 price of the iPhone 3 months after introduction, watch how they cut down the price of these computers by $300 in January.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I really like the "docking station" cord idea. Leave everything else plugged into the monitor and you just have to plug in the 3 headed cord. A little more elegant than it was.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
"requires a new MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air with the Mini DisplayPort connector."

eh? really?

surely this can't be true????

No company would release a display that can only be used with computers that nobody even owns yet????

I dont understand why they didn't include a DVI connector, other company have both display port and DVI on the same monitor

WildCardPix

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Professional Photographer's Lament

What will us pro shooters do now that Apple appears to be removing matte screens across the line? Especially for the MacBook Pro's, it now looks like we'll no longer have the ability for true color editing on the road. Apple really needs to offer an HD-matte option for at least their 17inch MBP, if not the 15" as well. Their cinema displays should also be available in both flavors too. Thank you :(

~Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.