Apple Introduces "Find My Friends" Feature

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2011

macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple's rumored "Find My Friends" feature has arrived as an App to locate (with permission) iOS devices on a map, much like Google Latitude.

Users can easily set privacy controls including only sharing location during certain times of day and more. "At the end of the day, location sharing stops automatically. Easily locate friends and family, temp sharing options, simple privacy controls..."

Image courtesy GDGT

Article Link: Apple Introduces "Find My Friends" Feature

2. macrumors 6502a

djrod

What's with the faux leather obsession?

3. macrumors newbie

a virtual leash thanks apple my kids will love it

4. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe this is a blessing for parents whose kids will stop begging them for Apple gadgets!

5. macrumors G5

nagromme

A couple times a year I really wish for something like this on my iPhone!

For the conspiracy nuts who think that this feature lets Apple track you (and give your realtime location to the Koch Brothers) even if you opt out... how do you know they weren’t already tracking you long before this feature was given to us :) Adding a highly-public user-facing feature is not the way to hide evil schemes.

6. macrumors regular

Conspiracy?

Hidden in plain sight :)

7. macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Stalkers dream, or one for the distrusting spouse.

8. macrumors newbie

I actually welcome this with open arms, and rested thumbs... I got nothing to hide as far as my location, and during the day I get close to 30 texts with "Where are you?" I'll just set this to cruise, and enjoy the ride! :D

9. macrumors 6502

zachlegomaniac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just in time for my favorite holiday!

To paraphrase Dave Eggers: We have sacrificed our ambiguity for accessibility.

10. macrumors 6502

Ditto, and I think most sane people think the same way. The practical uses are excellent, such as knowing when your other half will be home from work, exactly where the kids are, how far away from the pub your mate is when you're wondering whether to order another drink etc.

The usual "moon landing is fake" nutters will no doubt be up in arms though.

11. macrumors regular

How is this going to be different than Find My iPhone?

12. macrumors 6502

It's different because that feature finds your own phone. This finds the location of other people's phones IE finds them.

I think back to many not-so-sober nights in the city where there was a lot of 'Where is so-and-so?" and how with this we could see where they stumbled off to at the end of the night.

13. macrumors 603

Is it a separate app?

14. macrumors newbie

According to the Apple presentation the other day, you have to request someone's location and they have to accept your request before their phone will share. Also, the presentation said the sharing of location expires at the end of each day, so you have to re-request each day. Good idea. This will keep new friends or friends of friends from following you after the same day that you allow them to follow you.

I just wonder how this works with "12:00am." If you give someone permission at 11:00pm and hangout until 2:00am, will it cross the 12:00am point or reset?

15. macrumors 68000

NightFox

Is this an iOS-only feature, or will there be a desktop app?

In other words, can my friends and family find me from their Macs, or do they need to have iOS devices?

16. macrumors regular

i hate how this is limited to only iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad users because I dont know enough people with these devices and the people I do know that have them I really dont want to share my location with.

17. macrumors 65816

MOFS

You hate how this iOS feature is limited to only Apple products?:confused:

18. macrumors regular

Wait, Google Latitude wasn't (isn't) available on the iPhone?

19. macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Well, it was all over the news a couple months ago that they do.

20. macrumors newbie

Find my iPhone is more of an app for the owner of those devices themselves, and not to give away to others. I personally wouldn't want to give anyone the ability to wipe, lock, or set a passcode for my phone remotely.

Find my Friends is an app where you can give people your information so they can see where you are real time. I'd think it's based off of phone numbers or Apple IDs.

21. macrumors 68000

So I installed iOS 5 GM ... where is this app? Or do we have to wait until the official release of iOS 5 before it's available?

22. macrumors 6502

It'll be available as a download from the App Store on the 14th, I believe.

23. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

fud

24. macrumors 68000

thewitt

Find my Friends and Cards are optional apps, not part of iOS 5

25. macrumors 68000

thewitt

This is ludicrous since NFC technology to be used in a phone, the one that supports paying with your phone, has a 10 cm maximum range, with 4 cm optimal.

Means your phone could talk to her phone only if you two were already embracing...

Another rumor simply started by someone who hates Apple.