Apple Introduces New 'Night Shift' Feature in iOS 9.3

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's latest beta, iOS 9.3, brings quite a few changes to iOS 9, including a new "Night Shift" feature. Night Shift is designed to cut down on the amount of blue light an iOS device is putting out during the evening hours, based on studies that have demonstrated that blue light can negatively impact sleep by altering the body's circadian rhythm.

With Night Shift mode enabled, when the sun goes down, the iPhone's screen will automatically change towards the warmer (yellower) colors in the spectrum, reducing blue light. In the morning, the display automatically turns to its normal temperature color, mimicking natural daylight.

[​IMG]

Many people who use f.lux on the Mac are likely already familiar with the type of visual changes to expect with Night Shift mode. f.lux is an app that has been available for free on the Mac for several years, successfully cutting down on the amount of blue light that users see at night.

In fact, f.lux recently attempted to introduce an iOS app that featured the same functionality, but because it used private APIs, it skirted the App Store by asking users to side-load the app on their devices using Xcode, something Apple asked f.lux to put a stop to shortly after it was released.

At the time, Apple said that asking users to side-load an app violated the Developer Program Agreement, and f.lux was forced to stop providing the app to iOS users. F.lux appealed and asked Apple to allow the necessary APIs for a legitimate App Store app, but it appears Apple was working on its own in-house solution instead.

Night Shift is currently available to developers who have downloaded the iOS 9.3 beta. Today's beta also includes several other important features, including the ability for an iPhone to connect with more than one Apple Watch and improvements to Apple News, Notes, Health, and CarPlay.

Update: The Night Shift feature appears to be limited to iOS devices that have a 64-bit processor. That includes the iPhone 5s and later, the iPad Air and later, and the iPad mini 2 and later.

[​IMG]

Article Link: Apple Introduces New 'Night Shift' Feature in iOS 9.3

2. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

assuming they implement as well as f.lux this is mind blowing
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2016 ---
    has anyone tested it yet?

3. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

4. aldrinjtauro macrumors regular

If they implement this in OS X as well, it'll be even more mind-blowing.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

have had this from jailbreaking for years now. Its about time.

6. fenderbass146 macrumors 6502a

fenderbass146

Fantastic, a completely original and innovative idea from Apple. I can't wait for them to implement this....;)

7. YouCanCallMeBigDaddy macrumors member

YouCanCallMeBigDaddy

I wonder where they found that gem of an idea... cough, flux, cough.

EDIT: and thats what i get for not reading the entire article before posting... Yes, I know flux was mentioned...

8. Mikey44 macrumors newbie

Mikey44

This is freaking awesome! I hope that it's close enough to F.Lux and functionality is similar enough that you can set how yellow you actually want it.

9. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

just use f.lux

10. divideby macrumors member

11. Marvive macrumors newbie

Marvive

12. iWillNotUpgrade, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

iWillNotUpgrade macrumors newbie

iWillNotUpgrade

Built in f.lux in iOS? Finally! I was truly in dire need of that. On my Mac, I couldn't live without it anymore.

13. BiAry macrumors newbie

why f.lux didn't patent the idea is beyond me ?

14. drumcat macrumors 6502

drumcat

15. Bhatu macrumors regular

Bhatu

[​IMG]
    No more at night! :cool:

Though the name sound more like its meant for asian call-centre people.

16. RamGuy macrumors 6502

RamGuy

Yes! The best freaking iOS news in a very, very long time! Hopefully they will get around and add this directly into Mac OS X and tvOS as well.

17. Pilgrim1099 macrumors 6502a

F.lux already beat Apple to the punch for several years with this. Nothing innovative about Apple implementing it. They waited until the last minute.

18. alent1234 macrumors 603

ha ha

i've been looking at getting glasses with Prevencia lenses for the blue blocking just to get rid of eye strain. tried them on yesterday and didn't like the yellow tint too much. now i guess i'll just get the regular lenses and coatings

19. RMo, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I'd be curious about this as well. With f.lux you can customize the color temperatures to your liking (I find the late night mode too warm sometimes, particularly if I'm intentionally staying up late). Apple's description says it "automatically" adjusts, which--unless they're talking just about the "when" aspect--leaves open the possibility that you can't control how strongly it adjusts. I hope I'm wrong, because this is a neat feature otherwise. (Or maybe they could just open the APIs up to third parties, though I could why allowing one app to control system-wide display settings may be a cause for concern.)

EDIT: Now that there are screenshots floating around, it looks like you can customize both the color temperature and the timing. Good job, Apple!

20. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

21. jsavvy macrumors member

jsavvy

I haven't been this excited about an iOS feature in a long time. I'll join those before me...finally!

22. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I like that Apple seems to be more willing lately to put major features on point releases, at least for iOS. Rolling out features when they're ready rather than to coincide with a big update might help with their software quality.

23. bennyprofane macrumors member

This is the single best iOS news update ever! Any way to install this without having a dev account?
    Has anybody tested it and can confirm that the warmth level (color temperature) can be adjusted?

24. GucciPiggy macrumors regular

GucciPiggy

So basically Apple blocked f.lux from releasing their app and then baked the idea into the OS instead.