Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
From time to time, Apple can be really surprising. Not only did I not expect Apple to introduce such a feature, I also did not expect to see so many options for it. After the low-power mode, I would have expected a simple on/off for this feature, but it turns out that you can now set the colour temperature permanently and you can set up a schedule or use one that is based on location and time. An amazing development.
Doesn't really surprise me. I think Craig Federighi's software engineering group is probably more open user customization than the old regime was.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
On my iPhone 6s the "Sunrise to Sunset" option is missing from the schedule menu.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
On my iPhone 6s the "Sunrise to Sunset" option is missing from the schedule menu.

Seems like that was addressed in one of the other threads where you posted about this.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
He's quite obviously being sarcastic about Apple yet again consuming a 3rd party dev's idea. At least F.lux weren't earning money from it.

It doesn't matter if f.lux is making money or not, they got it out first and changed the way users thought about blue screen and how to reduce impact on the circadian cycle.

What Apple did was a b---h move. Why block F.lux from going iOS and then do a 180 creating their own? Only thing allowed was the OS X version which is still in circulation and one in which I use. It's very effective.

And second, the poster I responded to didn't show sarcasm. If he did, he should've said so in the first place using an emoticon of sorts and then it would've been understood.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Cure my insomnia Apple!

So what does the cooler v warmer toggle do? Doesn't blue light reduction mean warmer tones by nature?

Yes, warmer but how much warmer. In theory more is better but it takes time to adjust. If you go to warm to soon it will feel weird and you'll just turn it off.

Put flux on your Mac and practice a bit. Start with a bit of adjustment and add more every few days.

Reactions: tennisproha

jimlat

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013

Settings...Privacy...Location Services needs to be on...then System Services...Setting Time Zone needs to be on...

NoahK17

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
Westeros
Apple has a history of taking the best jailbreak apps and putting them into the core OS.

Now I'm just waiting for that Candy Crush cheat to be added...

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Prove it's not a placebo effect for those who consciously use this feature (or f.lux).
That's not how it works. You're the one who posited that it was a placebo.

Hey, if it makes you feel better to enable this feature, go for it. The placebo effect is real, after all.
Your claim. That means *you* are responsible for providing evidence that it *is* a placebo.

It doesn't seem the creators of f.lux are going out of their way to warn people who do color-accurate work that f.lux isn't for them. It's more of an assumption that they will know. Their only FAQ that touches on this is way at the bottom of the list. It's nice that they've included a setting that temporarily disables the app (for image editing). I think I might be annoyed that it returns automatically after just an hour.
Are you seriously of the opinion that "people who do color-accurate work" don't already know that changing the color profile of their display will change the color profile of their display?

Whether Apple or f.lux, changing the color profile undoubtedly has an effect on color rendition, and "the masses" are not going to know why their edited photos don't look quite the same when printed, viewed on other computers, or viewed during the daylight hours (f.lux is just one of a number of contributing factors). It's a small thing in the big scheme, but I'm sure someday we'll see a few "evil Apple" threads related to this.
The 'masses' are already used to the fact that their photos don't look quite the same when printed, viewed on other computers, in different lighting, etc. It won't be anything new for them. (They may or may not understand why, but the idea of the 'masses' suddenly being shocked/surprised by something that they've been observing for a couple decades is quite a stretch.)

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Interesting to hear so many cry about something most the population never even heard of before.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
why f.lux didn't patent the idea is beyond me ?

I remember reading a blog post or something from the creator of f.lux where (s)he explained how (s)he used a feature like this on a different system and wanted to make a version for Mac, or that it was a paid app and (s)he wanted to make a free version, or something. f.lux didn't originate the idea.

So basically Apple blocked f.lux from releasing their app and then baked the idea into the OS instead.

It's nothing unusual that Apple prevents app developers from making features that Apple wants to make themselves. In this case it makes sense too, a feature like this requires low-level access to the OS which is something no 3rd-party developer gets, ever.

blue light ? really ? I fall asleep straight away without any help... This psychology crap has no effect on me.

...but i would enable this just to see the colors.. :D

Good for you! Many of us are not as fortunate, I suffer from severe insomnia and f.lux on the Mac has been a huge help and alleviated some of it.

Reactions: tennisproha

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Are you seriously of the opinion that "people who do color-accurate work" don't already know that changing the color profile of their display will change the color profile of their display?

The 'masses' are already used to the fact that their photos don't look quite the same when printed, viewed on other computers, in different lighting, etc. It won't be anything new for them. (They may or may not understand why, but the idea of the 'masses' suddenly being shocked/surprised by something that they've been observing for a couple decades is quite a stretch.)
For someone who is not a professional, I do tons of photo editing on my Mac. I have F.lux installed, and I love it. In the past I just disabled it when I needed to work on photos at night, but I've since added my photography programs to the exclusion list (F.lux automatically disables when they have focus). Either way, the point is that even "people who do color-accurate work" can love F.lux.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
How about you turn the damn thing of and hug your partner? Oh wait, nevermind.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It doesn't matter if f.lux is making money or not, they got it out first and changed the way users thought about blue screen and how to reduce impact on the circadian cycle.

What Apple did was a b---h move. Why block F.lux from going iOS and then do a 180 creating their own? Only thing allowed was the OS X version which is still in circulation and one in which I use. It's very effective.

And second, the poster I responded to didn't show sarcasm. If he did, he should've said so in the first place using an emoticon of sorts and then it would've been understood.

The poster very very much showed sarcasm. It ended with a winking face, every person who liked his comment got - he was taking the mickey out of Apple constantly stealing 3rd party dev ideas - which they do many many times (including with my own app Auganizer) - just Google the term "Sherlocked" and you'll see.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Why not just give us a dark theme integrated?

Who in the world likes waking up to an eye-scarring white alarm clock app with thin light-grey font...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Why don't they just put in a dark theme for gods sake? It's not rocket science, it really isn't. I'd really love to sit down and have a conversation with the designers who decide to make everything blinding white on off white. Cool, so now when I use my phone in bed I will wake up my wife with the blinding white theme, but with less blue light maybe she will go back to sleep more quickly.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
f.lux works great on non 64bit devices, screw apple for using the jailbreak community as unpaid interns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.