Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thechungster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Yes another one of these threads (Sorry!) but I'm planning to get an iPad when it's released in the UK and I'd like a case. I'd like to put it into my shoulder bag when transporting it and it might be filled with stuff like chargers, laptop etc so which case is best for protecting something whilst in my bag?

From what I've seen, the iPad case has been getting mixed reviews. I've felt it and it doesn't feel too bad but it does feel a bit cheap. I'm considering this option (Or maybe the Macally book stand if they release it in the UK) since there's that little flap that covers the screen. Another option I could get is the Belkin Grip Vue. It looks like a very decent case but will the screen cope without any protection of some sort?

Thanks for the help.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

It all depends on what you're going to be using the iPad for. Two ways to think about it from a functional (not aesthetic) standpoint:

The Apple Case gets in the way for two-handed operation. If you type with thumbs in a vertical orientation, holding the iPad in your two hands you will find the flaps/bulk of the Apple Case getting in your way and interfering with typing. If you're a gamer, using the iPad to twist/turn with sweaty palms, again the case will be an impediment and the sweat will discolor the case.

The Belkin Grip Vue is the ideal solution for two handed operation as described above. Better protection and better grip and nothing to interfere with typing or gaming.

Conversely, if you don't hold the iPad in two hands and/or keeping the screen protected is important and/or cloaking the iPad in a case that doesn't scream "I have an iPad!" then a case like the Apple Case is a win. Similarly, if you want to prop it up to watch movies the Apple Case is perfect for that. The Grip Vue can't prop and the Grip Vue can't cover the screen.

Facing your dilemma, I did the best of both worlds. Installed the Belkin Grip Vue permanently, bought a Griffin Elan Passport leather folio case which can accommodate the Grip Vue + iPad together due to its unique 'elastic four corners' design.

This way, I get home from work and my kids can easily slide the iPad + Grip Vue out of the Folio and start gaming with dirty, sweaty kid hands. When they go to bed, I wipe it off and slide it back into the Griffin Folio, ready for transport in my backpack and appearance in the boardroom. Point being that you don't need to struggle with this decision; you can have the best of both worlds.

As far as screen protection, the screen's don't scratch. You can scrape it with a rusty nail, it won't leave a trace. If you're paranoid, you can get a clear film but I've got 3+ years experience with iPod Touch's in the hands of 6, 9, and 11 year old kids and despite all their abuse, never had a screen scratch.

BJ

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
For me the apple case does exactly what i need it to. It's thin, grippy and looks good. I dont like the other cases with a strap hanging off.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Just got an Apple case last night at the Apple store. Got lucky that a shipment came yesterday as these things are sold out everywhere. They were flying off the shelf.

I liked that it isn't too bulky and has the 'tripod' options to prop it up on a table. It's also nice that the edges are all covered, where most of the other folder-type cases with the 4 elastic straps don't protect the edges much.

thechungster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
The Apple Case gets in the way for two-handed operation. If you type with thumbs in a vertical orientation, holding the iPad in your two hands you will find the flaps/bulk of the Apple Case getting in your way and interfering with typing. If you're a gamer, using the iPad to twist/turn with sweaty palms, again the case will be an impediment and the sweat will discolor the case.

The Belkin Grip Vue is the ideal solution for two handed operation as described above. Better protection and better grip and nothing to interfere with typing or gaming.

Conversely, if you don't hold the iPad in two hands and/or keeping the screen protected is important and/or cloaking the iPad in a case that doesn't scream "I have an iPad!" then a case like the Apple Case is a win. Similarly, if you want to prop it up to watch movies the Apple Case is perfect for that. The Grip Vue can't prop and the Grip Vue can't cover the screen.

BJ

Thanks for the reply. Still a bit of a hard decision :/ For protection+from what you've said, I think the Belkin Grip Vue would be a better decision since I think I'll be typing a lot (Mainly for Twitter). There's still part of me that wants to get the Apple case since I'd love to know that something is covering the screen whilst it's in my bag and it's not being exposed to other stuff that could potentially scratch it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.