Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is asking its suppliers to manufacture a massive number of 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhones in anticipation of high consumer demand, reports The Wall Street Journal. The company is seeking between 70 and 80 million units combined of the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 by December, its largest order to date and a major jump from last year, where it ordered between 50 and 60 million iPhone 5s and 5c models.
Its forecast for what is commonly called the iPhone 6 is significantly larger than the initial order last year of between 50 million and 60 million versions of the iPhone 5S and 5C--which had a display measuring 4-inches diagonally, these people said. Both of the coming models are expected to feature metal cases similar to the iPhone 5S and likely come in multiple colors, these people said.
With high iPhone 6 numbers, Apple is likely hoping to avoid the supply/demand crisis it saw last year with the iPhone 5s. After the iPhone 5s launched in September of 2013, Apple saw unexpectedly high demand for the flagship device, likely due to its new Touch ID fingerprint sensor. The phone was in short supply for much of 2013, and Tim Cook later admitted that Apple had expected a more balanced demand between the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c.

iphone_5s_6_grass.jpg
4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 mockups compared to iPhone 5s
Demand for the iPhone 6 will likely be extremely high, as it marks both a redesign and the introduction of a larger screen, a long-awaited feature that could cause a massive spike in upgrades from both iPhone upgraders and those switching from Android. According to analyst estimates, Apple could see a 15 to 20 percent jump in unit sales year over year.

Apple partners Foxconn and Pegatron are said to be hiring massive numbers of new employees to help assemble the iPhone 6, with main supplier Foxconn taking on an additional 100,000 employees and Pegatron adding 10,000.

The 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is expected to enter production in July, while production on the 5.5-inch version will begin in August or September. At this time, it remains unclear if the two iPhone 6 models will launch simultaneously, as rumors have suggested production issues may push back the launch of the 5.5-inch iPhone to late 2014 or early 2015.

In-cell display technology for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 has been said to be causing significant problems and The Wall Street Journal suggests there may be additional complications if the larger device also uses a sapphire display. Apple is reportedly asking component makers to prepare enough parts for up to 120 million iPhone 6 models in order to compensate for high failure rates.

Article Link: Apple Preparing Between 70 and 80 Million 4.7 and 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Units to Meet High Consumer Demand

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I wonder how they are distributing this 70-80 million unit output between the 4.7 and 5.5 models.

Hopefully they do a better job in estimating consumer demand than when the 5c and 5s came out.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Can't wait to hear how Ive will explain that you'll need two hands to operate such a big phone. :cool: How will he bs his way out of it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Now that is some news. Yes we've heard it before. But I think this is a larger number and the WSJ is a more reputable source. Lets show some nice sales for the last quarter, get a nice bounce, and then watch this stock shoot past 100.

Apple is going to realize they should have just done the 10 to 1 stock split. Boy they really are cautious guys when it comes to corporate finance matters. Should have done those stock buy backs in even bigger numbers as well.

icolove

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
Can't wait to hear who Ive will explain that you'll need two hands to operate such a big phone. :cool: How will he bs his way out of it? :rolleyes:

Apple always finds a way to BS its way out of things..... I'm cringing at the thought of his dumb promo video where he back pedals just like the rest of the Apple fanboys. :)

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I'll be anxious until I see some part leaks of the 5.5. I want a 5"+ iPhone, or I'm switching to the Galaxy Note.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm having obsessive compulsive urges to yell, "Get those iPhones off of the ground! This is just disgusting; they're all going to be filthy now!" :eek:

nWyKy5h.gif

Whew, I was almost too late, but now everything is okay… </OCD>

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'll be getting the 5.5" iPhone 6! iOS 8 + jailbreak on a big screen...(f) yes!

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Prices need to be $600-650 for the 32 GB version off contract. Most likely they will charge $850 for the 32GB 5.5 off contract.

$850 for a phone.

Ok Apple you talked me into it. Give me that 5.5".

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Apple always finds a way to BS its way out of things..... I'm cringing at the thought of his dumb promo video where he back pedals just like the rest of the Apple fanboys. :)

My point exactly ^^ Somehow it'll turn out you never wanted anything smaller than a 4.7'' iPhone.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Now it's from WSJ, Apple's official news outlet, there should be no doubt about it. Apple better prepare more gold colored phones this time. We will hear more from Apple indirectly tomorrow on their earnings forecast for the Sept Qtr.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Just leave the 5.5" iphone out of the conversation. We all know it's not getting released. Only the 4.7" model for the next 2 years. After that a 5" model for another 2 years and then maybe a 5.5" in 4 years. Why should Apple release 2 models when we all know that the 4.7" will be sold out for months?
If you look at Android we are (Note 3 owner) pretty much at the max size for a phone that our hands can handle and before we call it a tablet. Why would Apple rush to that same conclusion? But this might actually work for Android because now you're going to have to concentrate on making your product better; not bigger.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Nice

This should help Angela Ahrendts goal of walking into any Apple Store and being able to purchase from stock any time. After launch day of course. :apple:

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Where is everyone thinking the 5.5-inch doesn't exist now?

I've questioned it since the beginning, it's not something Apple does by introducing different screen sizes in one launch.

Also take a look at the image in this article.
iphone_5s_6_grass.jpg

Look at the distance between the bottom of the screen and the home button on all 3. Using 5s as the control, you can see 4.7 is making use of the available real estate by making things tighter - the screen is closer to the button. This way you keep the actual phone size as small as possible (something Apple does consistently, keeping the phone thinner and smaller). Then you get to the 5.5, and all of a sudden we have extra room to spare? With more distance between the button and the bottom of the screen? Not only that, the button isn't even centered between the bottom of the phone and the bottom of the screen. Apple/Ive/any designer would not allow something as important as the home button to not be centered, especially when there are barely any elements on the front to begin with.

Older straight on shot from this article.
BqEdyw7CcAAysnR.jpg

Every single iPhone button is centered between screen and bottom:
iPhones.png

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
My wallet is ready. Time to ditch out the 4S, and get the most badass iPhone ever ON DAY ONE! :cool:

While it makes more sense to get the 4.7", I think I'll just go all the way and get the 5.5" one!

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Can't wait to hear how Ive will explain that you'll need two hands to operate such a big phone. :cool: How will he bs his way out of it? :rolleyes:

I'll be able to use the 5.5" one handed..... you won't be able to?

Just leave the 5.5" iphone out of the conversation. We all know it's not getting released.
So you'll come back later when it is released and eat some crow? I heard it goes well with BBQ!

Look at the distance between the bottom of the screen and the home button on all 3.
You do realize these aren't real pictures of real iPhones yes? So to make comparisons about the button or the spaces is silly. It's especially silly when you toss in the famous "Apple/Ive/any designer......" quote so many like to say and you've done it..... Calm down.... let the date come and then you can start trashing the design.

I used to be against a larger iPhone but we all need to grow up some day and so does the iPhone. Waiting for a 5.5" to land in my hands...... can't wait.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.