Apple iPhone Ad on the NYC 5th Avenue Store

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Looks like Apple is continuing to build awareness for the Apple iPhone. On Monday March 12th, workers at the 5th Avenue Apple Store in New York City posted a large iPhone ad on one full side of the glass structure.

The ad showed an iPhone with the words "Introducing iPhone. Apple reinvents the phone." Photos were taken by Matthew Yohe:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

For unknown reasons, the ad was removed later in the day.

Full size images linked from article
  2. macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    links don't work...

edit - it works now. I can't stand see ads for the iphone, it makes me want one really really bad... i can't wait!
  3. macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2006
    The high desert, USA
    Man, is that going to look cool at night...

edit: Had it not been taken down...
  4. Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    The entire Ad was taken down? Oh well, Steve Jobs probably wants the bolts replaced again. :D
  5. macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
  6. macrumors 68020

Oct 12, 2006

Yeah it was very weird.. I took the photos around 2 EDT today and was out an about later in the evening for some dinner (around 9 EDT) and it was gone. There were though people still on the scaffolding and they were obviously doing "something"

Ill try to get out there tomorrow.. I assume something will have changed.
  7. macrumors member

Nov 16, 2005
    Sweet! Awesome promotional idea! WOW! ...I'm sure they'll put it back up!
  8. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    If anyone's in new york city, run by and take a look in the morning to see. It may have gone back up. Matt (the guy who took the pictures) said the ad wasn't there around 9pm, but the scaffolding was still up.

9. macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    Apple are strange fellows, I wonder why it was removed.
  10. macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2006
    Odd that the TV "Hello" ad had "AT&T" in the upper left of the iPhone's screen, and this ad still says "Cingular."
  11. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
  12. macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2006
    Maybe the folks who put up the iPhone ad were the same ones who jumped the gun by listing the 8-core Mac Pros on the Apple Store website.

13. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    That would be a very strong reason to take it down. A "new at&t" rep walked by and said WTF!
  14. macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2005
    Western North Carolina
    On [where the text in the top left still says, "Cingular"], the bottom of the page states:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

They aren't putting a price or anything on the display [nor the Oscars TV ad], but couldn't both the TV ad and this one be seen as going against the FCC text above. It can't be offered for sale until it passes all the tests. Do TV and "glass" ads count as being offered for sale?

15. macrumors 65816

Dec 27, 2006
    I DID build that!
    Cool Advert

Looks like it was "etched on frosted glass" and light enough to see through. Very ingenious of Apple. Although it looks kind of like something out of George Orwell's "1984".

However, a better advertising campaign would be for Apple to hire former Star Trek TNG actors that portrayed "The Borg" and they can stand next to "The Cube", Apple's Cube, with the iPhone ad and the Borg character's can hold iPhones during the June launch, showing it to passerbys, saying, dare I say...

"You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!":D

Go :apple:
  16. macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2006
    for sale means that it can actually be bought in a store. Advertisement doesnt necessarily mean it is for sale.

I'd like to see a big X on the cube on the day of Leopard's release. That'd be totally cool. It'd be like an "X-Box"
  17. macrumors member

Jan 8, 2007
    Cingular and AT&T are one the same.

Cool ad weird that they took it down. Can't wait to hear what is up tomorrow. Probably something about eight core Mac Pro's that will be taken down an hour later.
  18. macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2006

What a literally brilliant concept. That ad will be back in a similar form, if not the original design, I'm sure. I wish I could have seen that ad at night. Maybe workers put it on the wrong side of the store, uh, front or in this case, side. Better yet, maybe Apple’s creatives thought of a way to slam Microsoft AND promote the iPhone. Someone has to update us tomorrow…
  19. macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2006
    they probably took it down to put up the mac pro ad now that someone has messed things up lol.Looked cool while it lasted,oh well.
  20. macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    I don't think that saying "coming soon" counts as offering it for sale. The photo of the iPhone, along with all the marketing materials, have been on Apple's website since it was announced. That's not an offer for sale, either.
  21. macrumors 65816

Dec 27, 2006
    I DID build that!
    I look at it as an upcoming event. Kind of like how you can view a movie trailer that is coming in April but you can't buy a ticket today. It's coming, it's just not here yet.:rolleyes:
  22. macrumors 65816

Dec 27, 2006
    I DID build that!
    "X-Box", Now that's FUNNY!:D
  23. macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    Forgive me for caring about picayune little things like preserving the public's rights and having companies uphold their legal obligations to the people, but isn't this overstepping the bounds of their legal usage rights?

That clear open courtyard space was mandated by the government in exchange for allowing the builders of the sky scrapper to build their building so high. When Apple got approval for building their store there it was because their structure was a clear glass cube that preserved the sight lines and openness of the public area that was granted to the public. Now by turning the structure into basically a giant billboard Apple has really abused the special grant they were bestowed when they were allowed to build a commercial structure on what was legally supposed to be an open public space.

I'm a huge fan of Apple products, but they're really abusing the special permission they were granted and are abusing the public's trust.
  24. macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2003
    Hmm, the city may have asked them to take it down. There are some strict regulations regarding advertising on buildings like that.
  25. macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    It's fine, as long as they don't say they're taking orders or deposits or reservations or anything like that. The only real consequence of this kind of promotion is that the FCC won't give Apple full confidentiality for their application. Apple chose to disclose the product themselves, so it's not that big a deal, but they also lose some flexibility in keeping implementations details private before release.