Apple iPhone Components Shipping in April?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Appleinsider relays a report by China Economic News Service which claims that iPhone component suppliers are expected to begin delivery of their materials to manufacturing facilities by "early April."

If true, this could suggest that rumors that the iPhone may begin shipping early might have some truth to them.

That being said, Apple has maintained that the iPhone will be shipping in June. This expected date was again reinforced during their recent television ad.

Meanwhile, it is important to remember that these component reports tend to be unreliable. A previous China Times report in November had claimed the Foxconn would be shipping 500,000-600,000 iPhones starting in February 2007.

2. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

3. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

It'll ship in June, sure, they could do it earlier, but why bother?

Stockpile the things so that way when they DO go on sale, you dont have disappointed people because they cant buy it because you didnt release as many as you could if you stuck with the original release date.

4. macrumors G5

AidenShaw

To get it out before it gets stomped by the Gphone from Google? :eek:

5. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Especially since that recent iPhone ad said that it would be available in April that i just don't see them shipping early. That was the second official confirmation of June, i just don't see early happening. Perhaps they are starting manufacturing so they have the necessary amount to satisfy the high demand. I think Apple wants to avoid people having to wait any longer than they've already had to these few months since its introduction until June.

6. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yeah I agree with what most have said, the iPhone will be out in June. There are more factors to add than simply making the phone.

7. macrumors 6502a

Of course they are starting the manufacturing process early. They want to make a lot of them so there isn't a shortage. Common sense.

8. macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

9. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The question is: What is the typical time between first shipping of components for a new product and the release of that product? No doubt, the answer is "it depends", but having a general idea based on past products would give us some idea of whether or not Apple seems to be on track with the iPhone.

10. macrumors 68020

EagerDragon

I like to know how they plan to handle repairs, specialy of the battery. People are not going to want to sent their phone to Apple for 3 to 7 days (round trip).

I would assume at Cingular and Apple stores, they are going to have to handle the repair in house.

11. macrumors member

if they could release it earlier, they probably would, it doesnt seem that shipping and manufacturing is holding them up, fcc approval takes a while, so even if they do have them stockpiled, they need the greenlight from the feds before they can sell them

12. macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

The question I want an answer to is when it will arrive in Europe. Locked phones are the invention of the devil. :mad:

13. macrumors 68020

samh004

That's what I was thinking, they don't always make their shipping times on popular products, and this will be a big seller for them (or at least they hope so), so getting started on making them earlier is better.

I don't think it'll ship early, this is just a build-up so it ships on time.

14. macrumors 6502

jonharris200

15. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Meh...

Umm. Okay... is it out for Sprint yet... guess not... um... who cares. Let's move on to the Mac Book Pro Mini or whatever smaller form factor notebook Apple will make. Or the full screen iPod that has the iPhone features or something else that actually applies to a rumor. Not trying to be an A**hole or anything... Just want to get over the fact that I am not getting an iPhone:mad:

Can't afford it.:(

16. macrumors member

iPhone CAN NOT ship until June.

For the same reason that it was introduced in January: the 6 month FCC approval.

Right... I mean, I'm no expert, I'm just saying...

17. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

FCC approval can take much less than six months...two months is routine.

18. macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

I agree with others. Having components ship in April allows Apple to ramp their manufacture and stockpile millions of units in time for launch. This is by far the most hyped product Apple has ever released. If it sells as well as some people are predicting, they could run into a major embarrassment by only having a modest stockpile at launch.

19. macrumors 6502

iphone
    ipods
    ithis ithat

idon'tcare anymore

just give me 10.5, CS3 and let me crawl back in my hole ...

20. macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Well said. Not to mention, if the iPhone is like all the other recent Rev. A Apple products lately, it will no doubt be plagued with hardware issues and lots of early adopters will end up with buggy or outright faultly phones. I still like Apple don't get me wrong, however I don't think the iPhone is worth the price or the risk.

21. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Given that Apple has a 10m unit delivery schedule by EOY 2008, they might need considerable inventory before mid-June initial shipments.

This rumour of initial massive component shipments only reconfirms mid/late-June to be "somewhat realistic".

My only question is is this really 4/8GB or is this UPOD? I am not optimistic.

Rocketman

22. macrumors 6502a

Bonte

Makes sense, they'll need millions of them at the start and more millions the rest of the year. The projected 10 million iPhone sales at the end of 2008 will be very conservative i think.

23. macrumors regular

24. macrumors newbie

Your right Rockitman. Having worked in electronic manufacture for 20 years I know that to get to a reasonable stock level before launch they will need to start production prity soon. Still think June is reasonable, but dont think it will be shipped in the first half!

25. macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Yeah, that's what made the PS2 and XBox so popular....
    That must also be why Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft didn't have any supply issues with the PS3, Wii and XBox 360...

:rolleyes:

Nobody sits on product they can release in order to stockpile just so a few people might not be disappointed because they can't get one.

Not even apple.
    ;)