Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MobileTechNews reports on recent data from Strategy Analytics on 3rd quarter 2007 marketshare data for mobile phones.

Strategy Analytics states that the iPhone has been the top selling phone for AT&T accounting for 13% of all AT&T phone sales, which makes it the 4th top selling handset in the U.S.

Strategy Analytics David Kerr notes that the iPhone does appeal to a broad demographic:
While the largest percentage of iPhone buyers is between 20-30 years old, the fact that nearly 25 percent were between 50-60 years old demonstrates that the device attracts buyers across a broad age spectrum

Article Link

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Only 4th!? Shame on you Apple for again letting down your investors! How much longer until it is #1? 2-3 more quarters? Thats an entire YEAR. Way to go, I have lost all faith in you...

belovedmonster

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
I wonder at what point the guys who turned down the iPhone will start kicking themselves, if they haven't already.

tekcor

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Never

I wonder at what point the guys who turned down the iPhone will start kicking themselves, if they haven't already.

Verizon doesn't care. They've got their large salvo of amazing phones to dominate the market... like the upcoming Juke...

*Please note: sarcasm*

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
This is good news, but does that mean they're on target for their 1% in a year or not, that really is the question. I haven't seen any real figures except what Apple has stated on only two occasions, but I don't think they'll get there, I think they'll be close, but just shy of 1%.

We'll have to see what the figures are this Monday :)

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
Even if there is no iphone nano, by the time this one is replaced, the original iphone will be offered discounted, and that will make up a product line. That alone will break the 10 million mark, if it already hasn't by then. Once apple has its typical 3 model line-up (budget, mid, pro) the 1% marketshare they're aiming for will be a distant memory.

ilogic

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
New Jersey
The figures could be better, but many people haven't purchase an iPhone because they're afraid that as soon as they buy one, a new model will come out, typical of the iPod class, and the 200$ price cut didnt help peoples feeling of stability IMO :rolleyes:

Everybody else who bought an iPhone - r:apple:ck on!

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
I wonder if the phone could have been subsidized and apple had not taken a profit in the providers monthly fee, thus reducing the tariff cost if we would have been a little higher than 4th ranking?

Of course, this wouldn't have meant the phone was either locked or unlocked, just cheaper.

The main reason I'm not going to buy one is the rubbish tariff because apple is sticking it's fingers into O2's profits thus meaning it has to give terrible tariffs to get their money back.

The european market will not bear this rip-off phone long term, apple will eventually have to re-think its plans I believe.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
The european market will not bear this rip-off phone long term, apple will eventually have to re-think its plans I believe.

You are prob. correct. Long term.

In the mean time, even if I lived in the EU I would still buy one now instead of waiting, this thing just plain makes me more productive.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
You are prob. correct. Long term.

In the mean time, even if I lived in the EU I would still buy one now instead of waiting, this thing just plain makes me more productive.

Yes!

The iPhone is an (almost) perfect productivity companion.

Wherever I go, I need to take just 3 things:

1) my iPhone (all my important stuff)
2) my wallet
3) my glasses

Now... when they implement: iAm, iPay and iSee apps on the iPhone, it will be the only thing I need with me...

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I wonder what will happen over the next year, as more and more people see their contracts with other carriers expire. My job responsibilities have shifted over the last few months and I work among a lot of people with blackberries. In March I'll probably get an iPhone, after my Verizon contract ends. I suspect a lot of other people are waiting for their contracts to end as well. Seeing others with iPhones will only help sway them as they wait.

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
Bring on the #1 slot!

I predict it will be the #2 selling device in the US by this summer, and the #1 by the end of 2008.

When the second generation one comes out will determine how accurate I am. :)

chambers7

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2007
iPhone nano

i phone nano will take the top spot ;) phone and ipod, no browser.

thank you for saying this! I don't think that apple would do it, but an iphone minus the internet is exactly what i want!
maybe i will get even more lucky, and apple will announce the iphone nano will only be on verizon... lol.

Crike .40

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
Oxnard Shores (Ventura), CA
as others have said, I fully expect a 3-part line-up for the iPhone. Just as "ipod" dominates the market, so too will "iphone" but it will actually be 3 (or 4 or 5 as ipod now seems) different products to cover different niches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.