Apple iPhone No Longer Verizon's Bestselling Smartphone? [Update]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortune reports that Apple's iPhone has dropped from the top selling smartphone position in Verizon retail stores for the first time since the carrier started selling the device. The news comes by way of a research note from William Blair's Anil Doradla.
    The results are based on "channel checks" from the April-May-June quarter of 2012. The iPhone was reportedly dethroned by the Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX, but remains in the number two spot ahead of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Verizon first started carrying the iPhone in February 2011. Verizon benefited from pent up demand at launch and the subsequent launch of the iPhone 4S in October of that same year. The iPhone 4S is now 8 months since it's release with rumors that the next generation iPhone will launch this fall.

Update: A separate analyst claims that the iPhone 4S remains the top selling smarpthone at Verizon.
    Article Link: Apple iPhone No Longer Verizon's Bestselling Smartphone? [Update]

2. likemyorbs, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Perhaps if Apple updated their extremely outdated phone every once in a while...

Go ahead and give me a thumbs down, it's true. Apple is seriously dragging their feet with the iPhone. The 4S was an abomination. I mean come on, im using an iPhone 4 that i purchased in June 2010 the day it came out. I have it jailbroken and running siri, there's no real difference between my 2 year old phone and apple's most up to date phone. It's pathetic, and no i don't consider a bump in processor speed to be a major update. In addition to that, the screen IS too damn small whether you want to admit it or not. If the new iphone isn't significantly improved and changed, im going android. And this is coming from an apple fanboy.

3. macrumors 68020

this is interesting because the Razr Maxx is only a month or two newer than the iPhone. It's not like some brand new phone overtook the iPhone.

4. macrumors member

I see this as good news. Sure I prefer Apple over everything else in the terms of smartphones but competition is always good and will keep Apple on its feet trying to make the next great thing.

5. macrumors regular

jasonxneo

6. macrumors 6502

Menopause

7. macrumors member

Unless the numbers are from Verizon itself I don't put much stock in this...

8. macrumors 6502

It's not very surprising. Verizon stands to make a great deal more on aftermarket gimmicks on these phones than the iPhone, hence they market these more heavily.

9. macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

With the Droid RAZR MAXX both having LTE and amazing battery life, that's no surprise.

10. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The Nexus is a superior device to the Razr so the long battery life must be resonating with people (along with 4G). Too bad the Razr screen is garbage compared to the iphone and Nexus. Those poor eyes.

11. macrumors 65816

Not Surprising

Our local Verizon store didn't even mention the iPhone when I went into the store to sign up for a plan; in fact, I had to ask them about the iPhone because they were only pushing Droids.

[Edit: There wasn't even an iPhone on display in the store.]

12. macrumors 6502a

The Droid has more features and almost half the price. There is not much to question there.

13. macrumors 65816

It's most likely because people are waiting for the new iPhone, but it's funny regardless. (Not from Apple's point of view though)

14. macrumors 68020

applesith

Doesn't Verizon offer double data and BOGO on the Max from time to time?

15. macrumors 68000

rorschach

Yeah, the iPhone 4S is such an abomination that it has broken records in sales:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394764,00.asp

:rolleyes:

16. macrumors 6502a

You get a thumbs up. You are correct. When you compare the iPhone with the current model droids, the iPhone has fallen behind. Apple is a little over confident in my opinion.

17. macrumors 6502

This isn't suprising. Had a relative go to a Verizon store to get an iPhone (not guided by me) and they actively turned her around into an android phone (which she eventually disliked for being glitchy, not sure if that was installed junk on it or what).

So yeah, the current phone has been out a long time and Verizon is actively having their store salesfolks steer customers into android instead...its amazing the iPhone is still number 2 considering the headwinds its facing from Verizon corporate and sales staff.

18. macrumors member

People will buy anything if it looks cool. Apple has convinced the majority of consumers that this is what they need. They *NEED* an iPhone, not a Droid, so even if the iPhone lacks the latest technology, Apple hasn't told its consumers that they need the newest tech :).

19. macrumors regular

1. Um, Verizon salespeople are TRAINED to NOT LET ANY CUSTOMERS WALK OUT THE DOOR WITH an iPhone. Have any of you actually tried to walk into a Verizon store and purchase an iPhone? It is IMPOSSIBLE. I've tried it on 8 occasions, and Fortune Magazine documents this as well. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do so. Go ahead... I DARE YOU to walk into a Verizon store and try to purchase an iPhone.
    2. Furthermore, Verizon salespeople make $75 commission on every NON-iPhone that they sell, but they only make a $5 commission on every iPhone they sell.
    3. Verizon salespeople are BERATED by their managers and given WARNINGS if they sell an iPhone.

So it makes perfect sense that the iPhone isn't their best-selling device. This has been Verizon's plan all along.

WHY?

Because once people love the iPhone, they are loyal to the phone and not the carrier. The iPhone relegates Verizon to the dumb pipe that they are, and they don't like that one bit.

20. macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

21. macrumors 68030

PinkyMacGodess

They 'fought so hard' to get the iPhone, only to dump it? That doesn't seem to run counter to their idiotic management's history though...

22. macrumors member

I agree with you man. Thumbs up

23. macrumors newbie

Saw it coming

This was seen coming from a mile away. Management at Verizon wants you to push Droid and they don't want us mentioning the iPhone unless the customer asks for it. Plus theres incentives for selling the Droid and working in a commission job we are obviously going to where the money is at.

24. macrumors 68000

spiderman0616

While I think it's ridiculous that you expect a major upgrade on every model they release, there is a little truth in what you say. However, I think everyone knew Apple wouldn't jump on 4G right away. Look at all the battery issues the first 4G Android phones had.

However, fast forward to today, and we are sorely in need of a 4G iPhone. And I think it's safe to assume that if the iPad 3 has it, the iPhone 5 will probably have it too. I don't think Apple is over confident or blind to the fact that the iPhone needs 4G. I think they just like to make sure the product is a good product, not just throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see what sticks like some other companies do. I don't think the next iPhone is going to make you want to switch to Android.

25. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Double data (for 4G devices) yes. But I haven't seen a BOGO on the Maxx. Maybe the normal Razr.