Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
HOW?

Is the android software somehow better? What is the KILLER feature that android has that is so incredibly amazing and modern and ahead of the times that an average person would actually give a second glance about?

Is the android hardware better? I have a $700 unlocked Galaxy Nexus on my desk right now and it can barely render a card game without lagging like it's trying to run Crysis 3 on a pentium 90mhz from 1995. Not to mention the ridiculous super AMOLED screen with the ugly pentile grainy look, over saturated colors that make my eyes bleed like I'm high on acid or something.

IM MY HUMBLE OPINION The iPhone 4S is in fact still the best phone on the market.

What's hilarious here is that other manufacturers seem to have a "random phone generator" that spits out a "new" device every 5 minutes, and they still can't come up with something as polished. That's what happens when you have monkeys on type-writers.

Corrected.

millarj

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
To be honest, I too have to say that my original vzw iPhone 4 is pretty boring.
It does what I ask it to do, nothing more, nothing less...boring.

Now, the droid I had before that was the exact opposite. It did lots of things I didn't want it to, and not a whole lot of what I DID want it to. I never knew if the thing was going to work, connect a call, freeze, shutdown randomly, or what. Life with that phone sure was exciting! Certainly not boring like my boring little iPhone.

Good tech should be boring. It should do what it's supposed to do. That's the genius of the iPhone. I can utterly rely on it to perform as expected. That's why it's always with me. Always.

All that said, bring on the LTE iPhone 5 (or whatever it'll be called) :)

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Perhaps if Apple updated their extremely outdated phone every once in a while...

Go ahead and give me a thumbs down, it's true. Apple is seriously dragging their feet with the iPhone. The 4S was an abomination. I mean come on, im using an iPhone 4 that i purchased in June 2010 the day it came out. I have it jailbroken and running siri, there's no real difference between my 2 year old phone and apple's most up to date phone. It's pathetic, and no i don't consider a bump in processor speed to be a major update. In addition to that, the screen IS too damn small whether you want to admit it or not. If the new iphone isn't significantly improved and changed, im going android. And this is coming from an apple fanboy.

To bad the story was wrong...

----------

Corrected.

There is no reason to add a qualifying statement to a post on an Internet forum. We knew it was his opinion. (Much like your post is also your opinion, but you failed to mention it).

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Gotta love ANALysts trying to generate hits with some bogus information.

he's got a point though.

The iPhone, well, iOS, could use a little de2007ing. And the hardware could get a bit sleeker again.

Hundreds of millions of iOS devices sold say that isn't the case. ;)

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
One analyst claims the iPhone is the top seller at Verizon retail stores. One analyst claims that it's not. Somebody's information is bogus. :)

Show me your analyst, I'll show you mine; "analysts" are a dime a dozen, you can find one who will claim the world is flat if you have any need for it.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
1. Um, Verizon salespeople are TRAINED to NOT LET ANY CUSTOMERS WALK OUT THE DOOR WITH an iPhone. Have any of you actually tried to walk into a Verizon store and purchase an iPhone? It is IMPOSSIBLE. I've tried it on 8 occasions, and Fortune Magazine documents this as well. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do so. Go ahead... I DARE YOU to walk into a Verizon store and try to purchase an iPhone.
2. Furthermore, Verizon salespeople make $75 commission on every NON-iPhone that they sell, but they only make a $5 commission on every iPhone they sell.
3. Verizon salespeople are BERATED by their managers and given WARNINGS if they sell an iPhone.

So it makes perfect sense that the iPhone isn't their best-selling device. This has been Verizon's plan all along.

WHY?

Because once people love the iPhone, they are loyal to the phone and not the carrier. The iPhone relegates Verizon to the dumb pipe that they are, and they don't like that one bit.

I call shenanigans. I've bought iPhones at Verizon corporate stores in Phoenix and Chandler (AZ) and have always been treated with courtesy and respect and been spared the sales bunk. Perhaps that's because I knew what I wanted and said so clearly, whereas most customers have no idea about anything and sit there dithering and of course Verizon's sales training will orient them to steer such folks toward the phone offering the highest margin/spiff. But to say they refuse to help an iPhone customer? Even the most bellicose store staffers aren't that tin-eared.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
You're just a twinkie. It's not just the processor speed, its also the processor architecture that makes it faster + more ram and storage options. The retina display is worth the difference alone. You're just mad 'cause you don't have one. Face it. Siri is a joke so it doesn't count. Hope you enjoy the android, you'll be back once you have to deal with the crappy UI.

Research your facts before making stupid points, i stated that i have an iphone 4, which has the same exact retina display as the 4S. I'm not mad because i don't have one, i can easily go and purchase one now since i've been eligible for an upgrade for the last 6 months. I, however, prefer to vote with my wallet. I didn't buy the 4S out of principle, because it was a pathetic update. And yes i have used one, i had the misfortune of buying it for my dad for father's day only because he needed a smartphone and the new iphone isnt coming out until fall.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
One analyst claims the iPhone is the top seller at Verizon retail stores. One analyst claims that it's not. Somebody's information is bogus. :)

Actually both reports are consistent and the thread title is correct. The first analyst reported data for April-May-June quarter whilst the second analysts used the data from the beginning of the year and also said that "Razr is gaining ground". This means that the total iPhone sale numbers for the year are higher than that for RAZR but RAZR is selling better right now.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

One analyst talks about data from January to May, the other from April to June, both can be right

Last edited:

Malligator

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
Research your facts before making stupid points, i stated that i have an iphone 4, which has the same exact retina display as the 4S. I'm not mad because i don't have one, i can easily go and purchase one now since i've been eligible for an upgrade for the last 6 months. I, however, prefer to vote with my wallet. I didn't buy the 4S out of principle, because it was a pathetic update. And yes i have used one, i had the misfortune of buying it for my dad for father's day only because he needed a smartphone and the new iphone isnt coming out until fall.

You know you're allowed to keep a phone longer than a year, right? I've owned a total of four phones in my life:

1997: Nokia
2001: Samsung flip phone
2007: iPhone
2010: iPhone 4

Your insatiable consumption is your problem not Apple's.

Warning: Adult Language

http://youtu.be/KpUNA2nutbk

Last edited:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
One analyst talks about data from January to May, the other from April to June, both can be right

And neither account for the usual slowdown of iPhone purchases in the months before a new one is released.

I remember the 'sky is falling' last July/August in Apple iPhone 4 sales before the 4S came out. The reality was people knew that the new iPhone (4s) was coming.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
1. Um, Verizon salespeople are TRAINED to NOT LET ANY CUSTOMERS WALK OUT THE DOOR WITH an iPhone. Have any of you actually tried to walk into a Verizon store and purchase an iPhone? It is IMPOSSIBLE. I've tried it on 8 occasions, and Fortune Magazine documents this as well. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do so. Go ahead... I DARE YOU to walk into a Verizon store and try to purchase an iPhone.
2. Furthermore, Verizon salespeople make $75 commission on every NON-iPhone that they sell, but they only make a $5 commission on every iPhone they sell.
3. Verizon salespeople are BERATED by their managers and given WARNINGS if they sell an iPhone.

So it makes perfect sense that the iPhone isn't their best-selling device. This has been Verizon's plan all along.

WHY?

Because once people love the iPhone, they are loyal to the phone and not the carrier. The iPhone relegates Verizon to the dumb pipe that they are, and they don't like that one bit.

Excellent summary.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Glassed Silver:mac

jeremyka

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Perhaps the reason is that 4g 32GB maxx is $99 (Amazon Wireless) and 32GB 4s is $299. I wish Apple was more flexible on pricing especially when the new model is months away.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
You know you're allowed to keep a phone longer than a year, right? I've owned a total of four phones in my life:

Oh, so now you're arguing from a moral standpoint? My "insatiable consumption" is fully in line with human nature to want more and continue improving our way of life. By your extremely flawed logic, you should be typing your comments on a commodore 64. Technology changes drastically on a yearly basis, and apple could have had more of my money in 2011 but they didn't because they made a phone that's exactly like my current one. So therefore, my insatiable consumption IS apple's problem. If other companies are making products that are better than their's, it will turn into apple's problem very quickly. Just because you're content with outdated technology it doesn't mean that i should be.

PS
You really need to rethink your talking points, you'll never win a debate like that.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
And? Do they have to account for people waiting the GS III release in June for example?

If they want to be 'respected' as an analyst, they should try to account for why X is happening and the reasons behind it.

A real analyst like Horace Deidu actually does things like this instead of spouting nonsense like 'Apple's #1 days are over.' from a few numbers without looking deeper.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Actually both reports are consistent and the thread title is correct. The first analyst reported data for April-May-June quarter whilst the second analysts used the data from the beginning of the year and also said that "Razr is gaining ground". This means that the total iPhone sale numbers for the year are higher than that for RAZR but RAZR is selling better right now.

Walkley provided rankings on a monthly basis and had the iPhone in the lead for April and in the lead for May. He said today that he does not believe the report that the RAZR MAXX has overtaken the iPhone at Verizon retail stores for the quarter.

Vege-Taco

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
Arizona

I've gone through quite a list of smart phones myself....

Motorola DROID
HTC Thunderbolt
Motorola DROID Bionic
:apple: iphone
:apple: iphone 3g
:apple: iphone 3gs
:apple: iphone 4
:apple: iphone 4s

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Our local Verizon store didn't even mention the iPhone when I went into the store to sign up for a plan; in fact, I had to ask them about the iPhone because they were only pushing Droids.

[Edit: There wasn't even an iPhone on display in the store.]

That's pretty much the story at any carrier store. Their salespeople all push droids because they make a larger commission. If you dont specifically ask for an iPhone, you won't walk out with one, and most times, even if you do ask for one they will try to steer you away until it looks like you might walk out of the store. I actually find it incredible that the iPhone sells as well as it does with the massive carrier headwind pushing against it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.