Apple iPhone on June 15th?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2007.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Looprumors posts a letter from Apple to the FCC asking for confidentiality regarding the FCC documents for the iPhone until June 15, 2007.

The documents in question include External Photos, Internal Setup, Test Setup Photos and User Manual.

The rumor site speculates that the June 15th date could be the target launch of the iPhone, but, certainly, may simply be an educated guess.

When Apple first announced the iPhone, they claimed a June shipping date. Recent rumors have suggested that this may have been a conservative estimate, and that the iPhone may come as early as April.

2. echeck
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

echeck

It's a Friday, although days of the week don't necessarily matter as much as they used to.

It's possible.

Four more months to get out of my Verizon contract. ;)

3. MattyMac
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

MattyMac

As long as they are making the :apple: iPhone even better during this waiting period I suppose I can be patient.

Although I would like to have one tomorrow.

4. miketcool
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

miketcool

5. zwida
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

zwida

Right, but June 15 is surely just their most conservative estimate of a launch date: iPhone on or before 15 June.

6. Rocketman
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

Rocketman

Does the FCC even have the authority to honor such a request? I can see them doing it out of courtesy, but if anyone questions it, and there are plenty of Apple spoilers, they might be compelled to release the stuff anyway sadly.

Rocketman

Keeping in mind the iPhone demoed was itself one of the fakes and not the real ATN :)

Edit: The Apple letter CITES the authority!

7. twoodcc
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm hoping for April....but at least in June it could be a nice birthday present for me :)

8. EagerDragon
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

EagerDragon

If the request was made in October, was the iPhone already in FCC hands?
    If so, why has it taken this long?
    :cool:

9. clevin
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

clevin

when will the dispute of the name of iPhone be settled?

10. EagerDragon
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

EagerDragon

So you do not think what was shown was the ultimate format (look)? I understand that the software was not complete, but I assume that the device form factor and looks was final at that time of the presentation. What makes you think otherwise?

11. Peace
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

Peace

Well this is kind of a drag.It looks like the iPhone won't be out till WWDC which means Leopard probably won't be out till June also since the iPhone depends a lot on Leopard technology.

Still hoping for April though.

12. biturbomunkie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

i was froogling invisio q7 and noticed that negri electronics claims that the iphone will be in stock on june 7th.

the thing is that i've never heard of negri... ...

13. MongoTheGeek
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The way Apple works that is the last possible ship date. They have had embargo's out further than expected in the past. Still look for it in April.

If they were looking for confidentiality in October, then the 3 month review might have just ended...

As for can they, yes, there are laws obliging the government to respect trade secrets. no bureaucrat will risk his job.

14. darwen
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

darwen

It seems reasonable. I didnt know the FCC was really allowed to leak the info anyway, I thought that breached some sort of insider information. I dont see why the FCC would not honor this request, seems like an obvious question for Apple to ask.

"Can you please not release our product before we do...? Thanks."

15. Rocketman
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

Rocketman

I do believe I can prove it to your satisfaction.

It did not have an iSight on the front of it yet.

Rocketman

Never forget I am imperfect. Only 70% of my predictions/observations are accurate.

16. Chaszmyr
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's been less than a month since the iPhone was announced, and I'm already tired of waiting. I won't survive until June! I think there's still a very real chance that the iPhone will be announced by the end of April, but that's probably optimism talking.

17. Stella
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

Stella

All devices that are submitted to FCC becomes public - why should Apple be asked to be treated any differently?

Anyway, Apple seem to be on time with the iPhone.

18. darwen
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

darwen

Why is everyone flipping out about the date...? That is a honest question. Apple will release the phone on or around the 15th. This ""request" they are making means nothing more than that. They may not release the phone till the 19th, maybe they are releasing details on the 15th. You really cant speculate anything from this.

Who cares!? It will be out sometime around the 15th (which just happens to be the middle of the month :eek: :eek: ). There is no hidden message. They told us June. IT WILL BE JUNE.

EDIT:

WHY!?!?! They said June. What reason do they have for releasing it early. It will be June.

19. wakerider017
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

wakerider017

20. wakerider017
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Keep in mind you are on a RUMOR site.

The whole point of this site is to report on RUMORS.

If you think these kind of things are a wast of time and stupid then maybe you should check out some Mac Tech forums :rolleyes:

21. Doctor Q
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Upside: If it comes out earlier than expected, that will help Apple avoid having any competition try to beat them to market based on knowledge of the iPhone's features. Nobody will have a direct iPhone competitor, but Apple wouldn't want rival developers or marketers to have any more lead time than necessary before they start shipping and doing fullscale advertising.

Downside: If it comes out earlier than expected, I might not have saved up enough money for one. I save all of the tips I collect riding my bike on my newspaper route, but unless the cell service is a very affordable plan, I might have to hold off on my purchase.

And there's always the debate about whether to buy the first version of a product.

22. Eraserhead
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hmmm, it is the *last* day of WWDC, I'd say it'd be released on the first day, but it might over hype the event so I dunno.

23. Rocketman
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

Rocketman

I am thinking the October letter was sent concurerent with the original application and if a negative reply was received, they could simply withdraw the application. But since Apple carefully cited Federal regulation on its confidentiality requests, and had a carefully developed "public document set" sufficient to meet those regs, and likely got a compliant reply, they were good to go.

Maybe Steve was hoping to "get lucky" and have all the testing done by January Macworld. He said it takes three months. I guess government Christmas vacations wrecked Macworld! Or it takes China *4-6* months to make 10,000,000 iPhones!

I bet Al Gore and Eric Schmidt already have their iPhones. ON campus use only :)

Rocketman

24. FreeState
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

FreeState

All this means is that Apple has some device they asked the FCC not to release info on until the 15th of June. We do not know what the device is (an educated guess would be the iPhone that was demoed but it could be a different phone or even anything that has to go through the FCC).

As for the date - it does not mean anything. Apple is a very conservative company - they take risks but in the end, they are conservative. So that date, as I see it, is a date they picked as the first possible date they would want the information released. That date factors in things like manufacturing/production/programing pitfalls etc. That is the date they said that if everything goes according to plan, and the plan includes all possible set backs, the information would be safe to release into the public.

25. ChrisH3677
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Is this letter a fake?

Does Apple still use a colored logo on any of it's corporate letterhead? I thought the grey Apple logo was the standard.