Apple iPhone suggestions.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LoganT, Jan 9, 2007.

1. LoganT macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2007
    We can make this the official thread for suggestions, or not.

I think they should put in a Suretype/Qwerty keyboard. I know they said that it doesn't work because buttons change. However, I think they should put a Suretype/Qwerty keyboard on there, and that's it. No five-way, or scroll wheel. Use the screen to navigate around. Because I don't think the qwerty keyboard is going to be changing anytime soon. Also, instead of embedding 4 or 8 gigabytes of flash memory, which jacks up the cost, put an SDHC slot in it. That way if people primarily want to use it as a phone and not be charged a hefty price for features they may or may not use, they don't have to be. And if people do want to use it as iPod, they can buy a 4GB SDHC card for $80 or an 8 GB SDHC card for $150.
  2. andysmoore macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2008
    Better coverflow when shuffling

When shuffling songs, the coverflow (when the iphone is horizontal) should automatically skip to the album thats playing.
  3. bse99b macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2009
    I think it would be amazing if apple would make a card reader that can plug into the iphone to move photos from a digital camera. I wouldn't need to carry an external drive anymore.
  4. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2009
    Behind you...!
    If you only need an extra 8/16GB, why not just buy another memory card for your camera?
  5. BarrettNashvill macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2009
    iPhone Temperature

I heard recently that the most frequently used apps on the iPhone are related to weather. Why not add a small temperature gauge to the top of every screen, next to the time, that shows you the current temperature outside based upon your location. This would be useful for when you wake up and want to know the temperature outside before getting dressed or for when you are at work and want to check the temperature before deciding whether you want to go outside for your break.

Something like this:

I don't think this is possible to write as a third party app based upon the restrictions of the iPhone software but it seems like it could easily be implemented by Apple.
  6. Wenga Nosaj macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2009

I think it would be great if in iTunes there was a tab where you could arrange which Apps go on which screen of your iPhone. That way you didn't have to hold the App Icon down with your finger waiting for it to jiggle and then drag it to other pages. It takes too much time to do that.

Having a tab to allow you to do this in iTunes when you are about to sync your iPhone would be a GREAT time saver.

I don't want to be greedy, but there could be multiple screens allowing you to drag and drop apps immediately.

7. vwDavid macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2007
    Location and time aware ringer/volume control.

imagine this: business meeting at 4pm every thursday, you can set the iphone ringer on a schedule to always silence during that time, never forget to go into silent mode.

-location aware: drive into work? GPS mark the location and have the ringer go silent whenever you are in that area (ie arrive for work, ringer goes silent, leave work ringer go back to normal)

-GPS mark your home location, ringer volume to max perhaps so you can hear it across the house.

-Also, please give use independant ringer tones and volumes for all alerts.
  8. vwDavid macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2007
    I guess no one at all thinks location aware or scheduled ringer/volume is really cool?
  9. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

Sep 12, 2007
    Isn't this going to be in iTunes 9?
  10. bheckman macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2007

I think it would be really helpful if the same signatures that get used in the Mail app would sync to the iPhone through MobileMe including images. I second the temperature idea linked to location. Good idea!
  11. JohnnyLaw macrumors newbie

Jan 28, 2010
    Four MAJOR improvements necessary for iPhone

I have used the iPhone since August '09. I am a former Blackberry user of several years. I have a few things that I think would make the iPhone more enjoyable and easier to use:

1. Orientation lock. Have an page orientation lock feature for Safari, etc. (like Kindle and eReader have for iPhone already). It is extremely annoying to be reading a website while laying down at the beach or while waking up in the morning and having the phone unilaterally decide what my preferred orientation should be. Seems like a quick button would fix this problem. Again I alert you to the ereader/kindle fix for this problem.

2. Autotext. I had about 50 automated texts set up for various situations with clients, friends, etc. that were often three or four sentences long or just a few words. Really sped up the reply and typing time. Really be nice to see a three letter word be quickly transformed into a canned reply.

3. Unique email signatures. Individual signatures for each email account, rather than a signature for all email sent from phone. I really do not want to send my business signature line and confidentiality language to emails to my friends, mother or Uncle Joe.

4. Folders. Having 10 plus pages of apps and icons to page through can become tedious and having to reorganize while connected to an itunes computer is not a complete solution. I have a few friends who want me to jailbreak the phone since this is an option in the jailbroken world, but not wanting to do that it seems Apple would step up to offer that and make some money selling the app.
  12. Glenn.955 macrumors member

Apr 29, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Mine is a simple one... To get to the $ sign I have to click on the 123 icon and then #+=. Based on the location it should be able to work out what my default currency is. Then put this at the 123 level (The Pound symbol is at this level but I never want to use it.)

Unless it does this already and it is not working for Australia...
  13. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

Jun 22, 2009
    Hmmm... I'm in the US and the dollar sign IS at the 123 level. Go under Settings> General> Keyboard> International Keyboards. Turn English ON and English (UK) off and see if that fixes it.
  14. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2007
    I am liking them suggestions very much!
  15. iphone 4me macrumors newbie

Mar 9, 2010
    iphone ideas

1. When I'm at the mall listening to music or mowing the lawn with my headset on I often wonder what time it is. I would like to be able to stop the music and use voice control to ask "What time is it?" without having to extract the iphone from my pocket and look.

2. I often play podcast. I'd like to use voice control to "play podcast" and have it resume the last podcast I was listening to.

3. I'd like to use voice control to play a particular song, not just songs by a particular artist.

4. I'd like to transfer files from my email to my folder apps without using a computer.

5. Orientation lock. Said by others, but worth repeating. :)

6. I'd like to be able to delete folders of pictures (and music) without going to a computer to do so. Sometimes I need to free up memory on the fly. Deleting iphone copies of photos and music is an obvious way to free up lots of space fast.

7. Be able to change calendar alert sounds. Current sound is too short and quiet. I often miss the alert.

8. Alarm should have option of limiting alarm length (alarm sounds forever, I think)

9. Scheduled silence. Said by others, but worth repeating. Would stop embarrassment during church when I forget to put iphone on vibrate.
  16. Duggie29 macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2010

The ability to change the first day of the week should be provided. The usual choice is Sunday or Monday. As far as I can see there is no option on the iphone - it is Monday only. Many countries use Sunday.

Outside of the USA, those things that fly in the sky are called "Aeroplanes" and in some countries the airlines refer to "Flight Mode", not "Airplane' mode. Those countries including Australia should be identified when the country of use is selected and the applicable terminology applied.

Leading Zero's. Twenty-four hour time has traditionally FOUR digits. Time and date and other numbers should provide for leading zeros to be included as an option.

GPS is inhibited when selection to "airplane" (sic) mode ! This is a requirement by airlines in the USA and some European countries. Many other countries permit use of GPS in flight. The requirements of USA operators should not be applied to users in other countries. Again this option should be available in Flight mode. Other popular phones have their GPS work in flight mode (eg Nokia).

I love the iPhone, but believe it could even be better with little effort.
    cheers from downunder!
  17. martimus miller macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2010
    improved auto correct for text

how bout this,
    there is a data base of words in your settinngs that your iphone auto corrects which you can alter the settings on. for instance, I've commonly written "noe" instead of "now" so my iphone chooses "noe" instead of "now" when I hit the wrong keys. it would be awesome if I could tell my phone to always offer "now" if I type noe.
    or If I want to say "****", then dammit, let me say "****" and dont always assume I want to say "shot." that would be great if it was up to me.
    there are thousands of options with this. what do you think?
  18. fireman18 macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2010
    SMS Tones

Why is it we can't have more of a selection of tones for SMS messages. I need a tone that will wake me up at night. Does not have to be custom, just let us use any of the supplied ring tones. My fire dept. texts us when there is a fire and we need to respond to the station to help. I don't hear the wimpy tones allowed for SMS. Please Help!!!
  19. Ann P macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2009
    Hopefully you are jailbroken. If so, there is an app in the Cydia store called 'AnyRing'. You can easily change your ringtones or sms tones. There's a free 10-day trial before buying. Works flawlessly.