Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Isn't the 24" iMac enough? Or the scaled-down Mac Pro? The prices are so close these days.

The 24" iMac is *decent*, spec.-wise but will I be able to upgrade it with more RAM, a second HDD and a more powerful GPU? No.

That, and I don't need/want another monitor.

And about prices being close: That doesn't mean the performance is close. The downgraded Mac pro will still easily outrun the 24" iMac.

-Clive

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Doesn't he have, like, the entire iTunes library? :D

At least, it seems like that's what's there whenever he makes keynotes...

Even if I could, I wouldn't want all that crap... Think of sifting through pages of teeny-bopper Britney Spears and whatever else.

yuck.

-Clive

wraith77

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2007
I work at a company that works directly with Cingular a lot, and I can honestly say that a device NEVER launches on the date set by Cingular. Dates always slip due to technical issues because there's so many 3rd parties that Cingular depends on that have to work on/with the phone. So, I wouldn't count on the iPhone to be available on that date.

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
That it? He has The Beatles and others too...I'm sure...

Ah. He has all the music in the world.

"There's downsides, though," Jobs revealed in an interview.
"Oh?" asked the reviewer.
"Yes," replied Steve, "With so many songs stored on the top-secret multi-terabyte drive, navigation through them is almost impossible."

But it was not all grim:
"We have therefore been looking into (at least for my top-secret iPhone deuluxe) new methods of navigation. We've tried 3D, you know. We've got a Top Secret one, might be revealed in upcoming products... They've made me say "boom" a lot."

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Isn't the 24" iMac enough? Or the scaled-down Mac Pro? The prices are so close these days.

The problem with the iMac is that you can't swap displays at your leisure, which is the main reason why I won't be getting one. If I bought a desktop, I'd like to be able to pick and choose different displays and upgrade if better (compatible) versions came along. Beyond laptops, I'd rather not be obligated to any particular size. And, for a desktop, I'd rather not have the fate of the display tying itself to the rest of the system. Sending in an entire desktop computer because of the display is just dreadful.

Plus, as mentioned before, the iMac's form factor is pretty confining when it comes to upgrading. Just looking at it makes me dread having to open it up to replace parts. HDD's should always always be easily accessible in a desktop, and I find it odd that my macbook's HDD is easier to get to.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Plus, as mentioned before, the iMac's form factor is pretty confining when it comes to upgrading. Just looking at it makes me dread having to open it up to replace parts. HDD's should always always be easily accessible in a desktop, and I find it odd that my macbook's HDD is easier to get to.

That last statement is a surprising truth. None of the iMacs have been all that easy to get into and tinker with - (I actually think my 800MHz G4 swivel-neck iMac wins that, surprisingly). But unlike previous iMacs, the Intel iMac uses laptop-grade parts. Its predecessors used the same G3s, G4s, and G5s that its PowerMac sibling did, albeit at lower clock speeds, but it was still the same chip! Until the Intel iMacs, the power gap between iMac and PowerMac/Mac Pro was manageably small. Now it's pretty insane.

I'm still running on that G4 iMac and I want to upgrade. I pretty frequently run Garage Band (very slowly, I might add), Logic 5.5 (the last of the eMagic versions), and some sort of video software simultaneously, as well as leaving iTunes, Safari and AIM active in the background at all times. Since I don't do a *ton* of photoshop or Final Cut, I don't need a Mac Pro.

I know where my necessities lie! I need a machine that is more powerful than the Merom iMac but not as powerful as a Mac Pro. Don't tell me what I need! I need a computer that I can use and upgrade as I need to so that it keeps running the software I want for the next 6 years. I don't buy a new computer every 6 months like some people here. I buy things that will last me a long time. An iMac made of laptop-grade parts is just not going to cut it.

-Clive

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Perhaps I'm grasping at straws, but could there be any significance in the fact it's being released at WWDC?

How often do they release products at the developer conference that are closed to 3rd party developers? Was any iPod ever announced there?

Given that it is a developer conference .... They could also be talking about the development set of libraries for the iPhone, the changes to the development tools, and the certification program and distribution of the 3rd party applications and games via iTunes.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
He likes Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, John Mayer, Beatles...etc

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/52067/

Interesting... Eclectic indeed... not to mention highly speculatory. I mean everyone knows he's psycho for the Beatles, and Dylan I can understand. I wonder if his MWSF iPhone demo would reveal more about his tastes...

Coldplay? Wasn't there some Chili Peppers on there too?

-Clive

liv4Mac

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
NYC
Leopard in iPhone

Hey, did'nt Steve say the iPhone will be running under OS X Leopard?
I would think Leopard would be released before iPhone is released.
It would be strange for the iPhone to be the first hardware to run Leopard.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Hey, did'nt Steve say the iPhone will be running under OS X Leopard?
I would think Leopard would be released before iPhone is released.
It would be strange for the iPhone to be the first hardware to run Leopard.

I don't think so... It's a stripped down version. Most likely than not, a current version of, say, Jaguar would still be more powerful than Leopard Lite. The only enhancements I could see are multi-touch and core animation (for Cover Flow [and others]).

-Clive

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
schedule conflict?

At MWSF Steve dismissed the Macs pretty quick to give full attention to the iPhone. If Leopard is released in June it will have been over two years since the release of Tiger (4/29/05 6PM). I would think that Apple would want to have a time period with attention fully focused on Leopard without the distraction of an iPhone release. I don't know how they'll do it but I think they'll try to separate the two by at least a couple of weeks.

The last three releases of OS X have been on a Friday evening.

10.2 Jaguar Friday 8/23/02
10.3 Panther Friday 10/24/03
10.4 Tiger Friday 4/29/05
10.5 Leopard Friday ?

Just as a guess I'd pick May 18, May 25 or June 1 as target release dates for Leopard. This gives Leopard its own chance to shine before the release of the iPhone. I guess they'll have the usual hoopla. Shut the stores down for a while then reopen for the OS X release. In 2002 I started standing in line at about 11:15PM at the Palo Alto store and didn't get into the store till after midnight. We left at 2:00AM and the party was still going.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I don't think it's totally inconceivable that a Cingular CS employee would know an exact date. I mean, it's not as though the "Apple secrecy" applies anymore, since they've already announced June. Surely Cingular knows exactly when they'll be able to start selling these things, since there's a lot that Cingular has to do to prepare for its release as well.

I think the date is given even more credential if the CS employee pulled June 11 without being particularly aware of any Apple event.. too much of a coincidence for him to have said June 11 and that just happens to also be the first day of an Apple conference..
I still don't believe it. The customer service department would be the absolute last to know the release date of the iPhone. If this were a Cingular retail manager, then maybe, but I'd still take it with a grain of salt.

...And keep in mind, this is Apple we're dealing with. They wouldn't even show the CEO of Cingular an operational iPhone before it was released at MacWorld. So, I doubt they're going to tell a customer service agent the release date before an official pubic announcement.

Number41

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2007
Wow...
A thank-you from MacRumors would've been nice.
I provided them with the info plus all the links

...sigh.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Anyone else want to have this thing release ASAP? If for no other reason then people will, hopefully, shut up about it. I'm not trying to get all bitchy. Just that everyone and their mother, and their mother's sister keeps going on about the iPhone as if it’s been touched by the hand of God himself. We've all heard about the pros and cons about this device, and while nice its not the ground shaking device like the iPod was. The iPod caused a tremor in the force because the industry was sitting on their collective fat butts. The same can’t be said of the phone industry. The nanosecond, and even prior, to Apple announcing the iPhone the manufacturers started working on competing devices. Devices that I think will fit the bill very well for those who:

1. Aren’t interested in a limited capacity iPod phone.
2. Are looking for a phone that isn’t at or over half a grand.
3. Aren’t interested in changing carriers for a phone.
4. Looking for a manufacturer who, well has actual experience designing phones. (granted I’m betting Cingular put this phone through its paces before signing a long term agreement with Apple.)

I don’t know. I just wish the hype would die down to a more reasonable level.

Am I still interested in the thing? Sure. Interested in terms of the hardware and how it will handle the real world. (Cingular is simply a deal killer for me beyond any other "issues".) I USE my phone. HARD. It gets thrown on the seat, thrown in my tool bag, thrown in my jacket pocket which gets thrown on the floor in a corner. Sometimes sat on. It rolls off the dash on my car onto the floor. slides off the passanger seat under the seat. It sometimes gets dropped. It sometimes gets misted on out in the rain. Simply put I need something that is more then a show piece. I seriously question how durable this thing will be. So far I'm enjoying the WM device my company purchased for me. It doesn't have a touchscreen however I've found that a thick screen protector is all I need for it. Its a pretty durable device overall that has handled no case and just being thrown in my jacket pocket naked just fine. I will be interested in seeing how the iPhone handles real world use.

Wow...
A thank-you from MacRumors would've been nice.
I provided them with the info plus all the links

...sigh.

Grow up. This is behavior I would expect out of a child throwing a temper tantrum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.