Apple Ipod 5th Generation

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GSUEagle26, Sep 25, 2004.

1. GSUEagle26 macrumors newbie

Any word on when the 5th generation is coming out, I want an Ipod but i don't want to buy to early?

2. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Buy now if you want an ipod. It was updated 68 days ago and probably won't see another update until january or so (the average is 167 days).

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Don't forget that sometimes Apple has updated their hardware only two months into the cycle... we saw this with the Rev. B G4 Powerbooks and the Combo-drive add-on. But see this page for buying tips.

Speaking of which, we gotta move this thread out of general discussion.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Seriously though, get the current generation. The next big thing to come to to the ipod is going to be an add on to the current generation.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If you have the money now, drop the clams, get an iPod, enjoy. If you aren't going to have the money until around Christmas, then I'd wait another month or two until the next generation was announced.

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

The 3G iPods were released in at the end of April of 2003.

The 4G iPods were released in mid-July of 2004.

There was approximately 16 months between generation announcements.

You won't see a 5th Generation iPod until January of 2006.

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

There might be a minor size bump in there, or a functionality update, but that is a good point, Apple has dramatically slowed the updates to the iPod line. I think that it is more a matter of brand association lately. They advertised it so much that they didn't want to change it at all and risk losing that recognition factor. Also, the 3rd gen was considered by many to be a far more elegant solution, with the 4th gen being a step back in design. Maybe they'll update it soon because of that...

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Wasn't it in July 2004?

9. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, now that we are talking about the 5th gen iPod (which is actually pretty ridiculous, I think)...

I believe the 5th gen will be the redesign. They are going to go all out on the 5th gen and it WILL include some kind of wireless technology. It will be just the right time...After all these new players come out, Apple will release this beautiful masterpeice and strike heart attacks in the CEO's of every corporation that makes its rival players. This is why I believe the 4th gen was not so much a big improvement...As they are the leaders in the industry right now and didn't need that big boost that a, dare I say it, color screen, wireless iPod would give. They are saving the big guns, but trust me, you WILL see them..And soon!

10. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

When the 3rd generation iPod came out, at first, everyone hated the design. They thought Apple took a step in the wrong direction. But, months later, they realized how nice the design was.

I suspect that within a few months, everyone will be talking about how poorly designed the 3G iPods were, and how nice the 4G iPods are.

Remember, a new generation iPod is signaled by a redesign or major hardware change. A minor update (such as increased storage capacity) has never signaled a new generation.

1G iPod - Moving scroll wheel.
    2G iPod - Non-Moving Scroll wheel.
    3G iPod - 4 buttons.
    4G iPod - Navigation scroll wheel.

11. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

You are correct. I have edited my post.

I don't know why I thought August. I guess I had my brain turned off. :D

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Buy now, need i say more? But the 5th gen. What does the future hold?

13. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Actually, from what I've read, the 4th Gen iPod is the first to be rebuilt from the ground up with non-standard "off-the-shelf" parts like the previous generations had. Hence the longer battery life. It's supposed to be completely new under the hood. This is why many people are thinking that Apple is going to release some awesome new feature for all the 4th Gen iPods. Maybe something that requires Apple to license some tech that they haven't got hammered out yet or something.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I agree, i don't think its that much of an improvement. I have both the 3g and 4g and i use my 3g ( I got the 4th in the cram and jam offer) I hate the click wheel. I like the buttons because you can operate in the dark which is really nice. I also think it looks alot cooler when the red lights up.
    Apple NEEDS to come out with a wireless one. I think it should be able to control itunes using airport express/itunes.

15. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Yes, stoid...This is true, and they will take it from there and upgrade the OS, etc to accomodate its next gen features. Also, while there is speculation about these so called "hidden" features, I really can't see anything so great and that we already don't have an inkling about what it may be. The one thing I hope does not happen at all, is Apple or a 3rd party releasing some kind of addon to make the iPod wireless. That would just be dumb and make it not look as good as it was originally intended. We shall see, though...Expect the rumors to float in starting about December.

16. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I expect that when Apple releases the 60GB version that we have been expecting for Sometime Now™, that they will also add functionality and break that Real Harmony POS.

17. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have had every gen of iPod and the 3G's were easily the worst designed of them all. I love my 4G (and my 20GB 2G that I used to have). People will soon realize how great the 4G's are.

18. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Wait, people don't already realize this?

19. frozenstar macrumors regular

I've got a hunch that the 5G iPod will sport iTunes Music Store integration. Wi-Fi chipsets are still a bit bulky and power hungry, so I'm betting they'll add Bluetooth in order to allow users to connect to the net via a mobile phone. They might even be able to manage instantaneous playback if you're connected via EDGE or 1xRTT or some other 3G technology. It's a logical course of action.
    Imagine that... the ability to buy and instantly playback music, anytime, anywhere. Wow.

20. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Bluetooth is too slow...TOO slow for music transfer. It must be Wifi to do that...

21. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

One thing i want in the 5th gen

60 GB
    More Games
    New Features
    WIRELESS HEAD PHONES
    No Colour Screen.

About the look of it, dunno how they will change it, i mean the 4th gen looks perfect...perhaps they might change the color of the scroll wheel to white?

22. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Bluetooth is somewhere around 700Kbps, that's certainly faster than the 256 or 512 that most broadbanders use to preview songs on the iTMS. The only trick is that you'd need to be in range of a Bluetooth data provider (about 10m). I don't see Bluetooth hubs springing up every 10m, so you're going to have to be that close to your computer, and so you might as well sit down and get the full interface of the iTMS. Besides, how would you search the iTMS from the iPod. No, the iTMS will stay with iTunes and not be a part of the iPod.

23. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Sure, walking around and downloading songs on the go would be great, but not worth it....

Apple wouldn't do it.

Think about it, you download a song on the subway, you download a few more at work and then at the end of the month, you get a bill with all your songs...apple wouldn't do that

24. dermeister macrumors 6502

dermeister

As far as I remember, bluetooth is like 10kps... IE dirt slow.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They just released new iPods. Don't expect new ones for awhile. The most you might get is a 4th Gen 60GB one. It might have some new features, but they may just be waiting for a significant supply of them. Who knows. You want a 20GB model, buy it now. You want a 60GB model, wait a bit.

5th Gen probably won't be until sometime next year, with maybe some size bumps along the way.