Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfmartin

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Sept 5th... the complete story !

On the last Apple Event, during the Q & A session, Steve told that this was an Mac event and that there would not be any discussion regarding the Apple TV... but some new thing soon... Sept 5th is the day... here is a summary:

* state of the Music Business at Apple
* state of the Movie Business at Apple
* the iPod state on the union
* introducing Movie Rentals
* introducing iTunes Modile (browse and buy from iPhone and Apple TV)
* iPhone firmware 1.1 announced
* AppleTV firmware 1.2 announced
* new iPod: the return of the iPod mini: same functionnality of the current 5.5 gen iPods, same screen, flash based: 8, 16 gigs, very thin, VERY thin and sexy
* new iPod: the new iPod featuring: same screen as the iPhone, OS X based, HD based
* all 5 and 5.5 gen iPod will be able to upgrade to the iPod OS 2.0
* price reduction of the iPod nano but same as today
* price reduction of shuffles but same as today

That's all folks !

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Penryn isn't due for release until November though, so I don't know if Apple would be given that much lead time on the processors. I'd say a Mac Pro update in tandem with Leopard's release is the more likely scenario.

Or, along these lines, a Mac Pro announcement at the event, however with an actual shipping date of 4-6 weeks from that point.

i'm waiting until leopard is released to purchase it anyway, so if they do the announcement the same time as leopard is released, i would be ok with that. that does seem like the most logical scenario; more logical than the one i proposed anyhow!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If the European iPhone is ready to go by the Paris Expo, it would be the perfect "One More Thing..." (sic) at the end of the new iPod Keynote.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Definitely excited, but I highly doubt I'll be purchasing a new iPod any time soon. Both my 5.5 gen video and nano have seen absolutely no use since I got my iPhone. I'm perfectly content with not carrying absolutely everything with me at all times, it's actually become a preference, just because of how well the iPhone integrates with content management due to its limited storage.

jmerk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2003
Minneapolis
iPhone Nano

i am desperately hoping for the iPhone Nano with the following specs:

8-16 GB Storage
Simple Calling Features
Photo viewing

Things it doesn't need: browser, e-mail, ichat, OSX...(to keep the price down)

If you look at Apple's product line: there are good precedents of distinctions between "levels" from pro to mass consumer. the market is DEFINITELY there for an iPhone Nano at $200-400 range (this price is out of thin air...)

desktop:
Mac Pro
iMac
Mac mini

laptop:
17" Macbook Pro
15" Macbook Pro
12" still waiting for this too (to replace current 12")

iPod:
Video iPod
Nano
Shuffle

iPhone
iPhone Nano
iPhone Shuffle (Dick Tracy wristwatch communicator/shuffle..okay, i'm kidding)

greg6028

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2002
Cedar Rapids
Apple TV and HD

What features are you hoping they add to the apple tv? I'm just curious because I can't think of a feature that I want added....but then again, I am still just waking up :p

It's time for HD content for Apple TV - and more movie studios to join in!

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Oh, I don't know ...

On-the-fly playlists for audio and video
Parental Controls that work
HD TV Shows and Movies in the iTunes Store
4:3 Support

they wont add 4:3 support because its a dead format, you go buy a TV these days, its hard to find an old "standard" screen size, even alot of the CRTs have moved to 16:9 but even CRTs are on the way out.

viewing video in 16:9 is just better for your eyes anyway

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
The apple TV crashes with very large itunes libraries. Mine crashes with my music library for example.

My iTunes library is 140 GB (4,500 songs, 50 movies, 160 TV episodes, 30 podcasts). I'm also syncing 8 GB (5,000) photos and accessing two smaller iTunes libraries.

While I wish AppleTV included some features - widget-type things, RSS feeds, more content in the iTunes Store, preferably in HD - I can tell you that I have never seen it "crash" or had any sort of problem since I bought it the week they came out.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
The Mac Pros are doubtful in my opinion, unless it is an announcement with an actual availability date a couple months out. I don't see the Mac Pros being updated until Penryn is available, which according to Intel is not until the November time frame. Perhaps Apple will get preferential treatment from Intel again, as they did with the iMac, and receive the chip earlier than the rest of the market, but even so I don't see a Mac Pro update until Leopard is released at the earliest, and more likely November base don the Penryn timeline.

I need a new, mac daddy Mac Pro "badly" for a current project, but I just bring myself to dump $3k+ on the current config. I'd be happy with a major overhaul even without Penryn or Leopard. A new mobo with better memory and an 8800 viddy -- while still using Clovertown and Tiger -- would be fine with me.

That said... Mac Rumors needs to split into two sites: one for people who would not lose a picosecond of sleep if iPod, AppleTV, iPhone and all laptops ceased to exist, and one for (I admit) the majority of Apple fans.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
That said... Mac Rumors needs to split into two sites: one for people who would not lose a picosecond of sleep if iPod, AppleTV, iPhone and all laptops ceased to exist, and one for (I admit) the majority of Apple fans.

Err... yeah, that's what they need.

Why don't you start MacProAndiMacRumors.com then? What's stopping you?

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
No. There isn't enough time to go from the developer beta's we've seen to Gold Master/pressing/packaging in 2 weeks.

...and I really doubt that they'll be pre-announcing the shipping date. They got burned once with Leopard, I doubt they'll be announcing the shipping date until a rock-solid build is in Steve's hands.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
...and I really doubt that they'll be pre-announcing the shipping date. They got burned once with Leopard, I doubt they'll be announcing the shipping date until a rock-solid build is in Steve's hands.

Whose to say there isn't a rock solid version in Steve's hands? Do you personally know the Apple engineers?

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
I've said it before in another post that September will be all about new iPods, updated iPods, iTunes store, Beatles catalog and AppleTV. Having worked in retail, when a given promo begins or ends has absolutely no bearing on product introductions.

June/July was all about iPhone
August - iMacs, iLife, iWork
September - iPod, AppleTV, iTunes
October - Leopard

After that, look for display updates and maybe, maybe MacPro updates.

After the first of the year, sometime in 2008, maybe a MacTablet with gesture support.

June/July was all about iPhone
August - iMacs, iLife, iWork
September - iPod, AppleTV, iTunes
October - Leopard/MacPro/Displays

rest44

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
It´s new iPods for sure, start shipping after "back 2 school" ends.

I just wish they put a matte screen in the iMac.. but that´s mostly doubtfull. =(

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
These are the changes I expect with the iPod lineup:

iPod shuffle: price reductions and maybe a 2GB model.

iPod nano: basically the same as it is now but much shorter, maybe built in Nike+ transmitter and new orange model (otherwise the colours will be the same.

iPod video: this is the one we've seen the 9to5mac pictures of, basically a cross-between the nano and the 5G. it will also be available in the new colours. 8 and 16GB.

iPod touch: like an iPhone without the phone, wi-fi or camera. it will look like a 5G iPod, but the whole front is taken up by a touch screen. 60 and 120GB.

drugs!

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
It´s new iPods for sure, start shipping after "back 2 school" ends.

I just wish they put a matte screen in the iMac.. but that´s mostly doubtfull. =(

they wouldn't do that.... it would canibalize current sales. Upon announcement, whenever that may be, it will be available that day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.