Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
I've just checked the UK store and the Apple HiFi (which was still being sold for £229 earlier today with 24hr shipping) is now unavailable.

View attachment 84181

I can't even see it on the US store.

Did I miss something earlier? I didn't think it was mentioned at all during the iPod event??

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
No it wasn't mentioned...it just quietly slipped away. ThinkSecret has posted an article on it to follow up on their prediction that it would do so.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Tempted to see if I can pick up another at a sale rate... I like 'em but realise they're not for everyone. Does that make mine a collector's item, then? ;)

Two of them wired up properly would make a great semi-portable outdoors mini-soundsystem.

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
I bought one almost 2 weeks ago for my sister's birthday. I don't want to return it, obviously, as it was a gift... but if they're about to launch a better replacement model I'd like to get her that one instead. Need to know by Friday!!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I bought one almost 2 weeks ago for my sister's birthday. I don't want to return it, obviously, as it was a gift... but if they're about to launch a better replacement model I'd like to get her that one instead. Need to know by Friday!!

I think they simply discountinued it full stop...

No 'new features' models out soon...

Although I've heard next tuesday sounds promising! Ha

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I always lusted after one of these. Hopefully it's just gone for an update. Sadly, I think it's truly kicked the bucket and my best hope is that I can get one cheap at Best Buy or Target as a discontinued item...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I think they simply discontinued it full stop...
Yeah, it looks like it. That market is far more crowded than it was when the Hifi was first introduced. Apple probably just thought it better to leave the Made for iPod licensees to it.

Retired
May 16, 2006
So far its the iSight and the HiFi, does this mean the leather cases are next!?

michaelverdin

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2007
I still have an iPod Hi-Fi, but for anyone looking for something similar in quality, have a look at the new Tannoy i30, the sound quality is excellent.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
In the modern house - most people have Home Cinema systems and proper Hi-Fi systems.

Connecting an iPod up to one of those is just a simple means of plugged in a cable - and the sound quality beats any of the iPod speakers.

The Apple iPod Hi-Fi isn't portable, which is the main downside. Little portable iPod speakers are great because you can take them outside to where you want to chill out.

The design of it remained a question too...

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
In the modern house - most people have Home Cinema systems and proper Hi-Fi systems.

Connecting an iPod up to one of those is just a simple means of plugged in a cable - and the sound quality beats any of the iPod speakers.

The Apple iPod Hi-Fi isn't portable, which is the main downside. Little portable iPod speakers are great because you can take them outside to where you want to chill out.

The design of it remained a question too...

actually the hi-fi is portable!

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005

Well yes and no...

It's pretty big but it does run on battery power which is ideal for taking out into your garden or to the park etc; not so easy to take your wired-in home hifi or cinema system outside really is it?!! And um, no, the little iPod speakers you can buy really don't compare, sound quality-wise...

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
You'd stick that in your suitcase for going on a trip would you?

Nobody said it was ultra-portable ;) but it *can* be moved around and doesn't need to be wired to a power source, so yes, it's portable!

We used one at our London MR Picnics in Regent's Park :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Well yes and no...

It's pretty big but it does run on battery power which is ideal for taking out into your garden or to the park etc; not so easy to take your wired-in home hifi or cinema system outside really is it?!! And um, no, the little iPod speakers you can buy really don't compare, sound quality-wise...

Have you heard the sound quality of the Apple Hi-Fi? Really poor. There is smaller portable speakers that give a much better range of frequencies than the Apple Hi-Fi.

And yeah you are right - you can't take a Home Cinema to your garden, and the sound quality of a Home Cinema is outstanding compared to portable speakers. That wasn't my original point though.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Have you heard the sound quality of the Apple Hi-Fi? Really poor.

Nonsense. I have one and can't think of any similar-sized and priced device that is comparable. Perhaps the one you were listening to had crappy 128 AACs playing on it... soundstage is understandably limited given its dimensions and treble detail is a bit weak but that's solved by removing the speaker grill. ;)

Good reviews are all over the web. Its projection and clarity at high volume in outdoor spaces is outstanding given the enclosure's size. People should compare like with like, not with devices that aren't in the same bracket.

And it's portable, that's why it's got handles. ;)

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Have you heard the sound quality of the Apple Hi-Fi? Really poor. There is smaller portable speakers that give a much better range of frequencies than the Apple Hi-Fi.

Yes I have - as I said we used one at our picnics, I also recently bought one for my sister, which we used last weekend. We all thought the sound quality was great but then none of us are true audiophiles; perhaps you are. I've tried several iPod speaker systems out over the past couple of years and I haven't heard one that beats the Apple HiFi. The closest I found was the iM7, which I bought just before Apple released their hifi. It's a nice clear and quite bassy sound. Not tinny and weak sounding like the Bose SoundDock and all those cheap speakers. But hey, that's just my own opinion. Seems a lot of people agree on the iPod Hifi having decent sound though as it did get very good reviews on various sites.

Nonsense. I have one and can't think of any similar-sized and priced device that is comparable. Perhaps the one you were listening to had crappy 128 AACs playing on it... soundstage is understandably limited given its dimensions and treble detail is a bit weak but that's solved by removing the speaker grill. ;)

Good reviews are all over the web. Its projection and clarity at high volume in outdoor spaces is outstanding given the enclosure's size. People should compare like with like, not with devices that aren't in the same bracket.

Yep ^ what she said :D

Anyway... this wasn't supposed to be a discussion thread about whether the iPod Hifi is any good or not but merely an observation that it has disappeared from the store since yesterday's event. I'd quite like to know if it has definitely been discontinued or if it's about to be replaced by a better model as I'm still just about within the exchange/refund period!

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I was very surprised by the quality of the Hi-Fi.

Most portable speaker systems rely on reflection of sound to project the bass. Stick them outdoors and they sound *****.

The Apple Hi-Fi still sounds good outdoors, hanging from a tree.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I thought the iPod HiFi sound was actually really good, but I'm not sad to see it go as I thought the iPod dock on the top was a pants design, and not being able to move properly round the iPod menus with the supplied remote seems like a huge oversight IMO.

...And it's portable, that's why it's got handles. ;)
Handles? I had someone drop one on my foot once, it's a beast of a portable, but very robust..... mumblemumblemumbleSNAKE! Of course she was very, very drunk.

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Just popped into the Regent St store on my way home - all the HiFis have been withdrawn by Apple but of course the staff there have even less clue than we do! :rolleyes:

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I really like the iPod Hi-Fi too, and it is a shame to see it go. I hope the new iPods will be compatible with it, including all the software features, like full screen album artwork and tone control.

wlman

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Guess what ! I just bought a MIB Ipod hifi today! 5 years after Apple ceases production of it. Must admit it sound quality is acceptable, but I went for its look only ;) it goes fairly well with my iphone 4S.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Guess what ! I just bought a MIB Ipod hifi today! 5 years after Apple ceases production of it. Must admit it sound quality is acceptable, but I went for its look only ;) it goes fairly well with my iphone 4S.

Wow. 5 year old thread. There's a lot better sound docks out there now since this was released with similar, if not better aesthetics. I hope you didn't pay the price it was going for when it first released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.