Apple iPod in ear headphones

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Bengt77, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Does anyone else have the Apple iPod in ear headphones? I bought them last week after reading some reviews on the web. All of them said they were fine headphones and the sound really was quite a bit better than what you get out of the ones you get with the iPod.

So I went out and bought them, since I had some money to burn. But now I'm not so sure I made the right decision by getting them. Some reactions to the reviews were that when the fit isn't (too) good, the sound isn't any good either. That has proven to be true for me too. When I stick the headphones way up into my earchannels, the sound is quite awesome. Really good bassresponse and really vibrant soundcolor. But, after not too long, the buds tend to slip their way out and then I find myself constantly pushing them back in. Quite irritating, really.

Has anyone else bought these headphones and does anyone who has done so have the same problem I have with them? Anyone who has them but doesn't recognize this problem? How are these headphones for you all? I want information on how to wear them correctly and reasons they might not be so comfortable for me.

Thanks, all, in advance...

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i haven't picked up any yet, but intend to. have you tried the other sizes to see if that improves comfort/slipping?

paul

3. AdamZ macrumors regular

Me too

My original headphones got busted, so I too went ahead and bought the in ear headphones. I got sick of seeing other iPoders out walking around and not getting recognized for my white headphones in return. I have the exact same problem. When pushed in all the way, they sound incredible, so much bass. Then over a period of about a minute, they slip a bit and loose that seal in the ear canal. I am constantly pushing them back in my ear to get the right bass response. I am disapointed to say the least. I have the 1st gen 5 GB ipod so this was the only white headphone solution for me short of ebay. I have tried the different sized earbuds and the largerones fit the best, but I am developing this habit every minute of pushing them back in. Oh well..

4. briankonar macrumors regular

youll have this issue with any earbud, it's simply the design.

if you can't stand not being recognized for your white headphones, then i suppose it's an issue.

i just use a pair of "ear muff" style headphones...if your actually looking for sound quality these blow away any type of ear bud. if your looking for style not so.

me personally, i could give a crap about anyone thinking "ooh white headphones, he has an ipod!"
    they can see it when i take it out.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Just don't clean your ears for a while. The ear-wax will build up and then they will fit snuggly. Problem solved.

I've noticed this problem as well. Although switching the size of ends has worked for me. briankonar is right, it is a design issue. With everyones ears being different, its a tough job. I like that Apple has thrown in the 3 different sizes.

6. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

i have justed order the headphones and they are expected to arrive tommorrow....
    some of the review taht i have read state these two things

1. the "shine" that they have fresh out of the box tends to be slippery so try to rub then ends or wear them a lot and that will help keep them in...

2 try to hold them in for a few minutes and the cups will start to form an impression of your inner ear and they will hold better

just two suggestions that may or may not help you out

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i just got mine a couple of days ago, i havent had any problems except with the wind out here tugging them out of my ears...other than that i really dont have a complaint at all

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Well, I've gone back to using the standard earbuds most of the time. Even though the in-ear phones sound somewhat better, I found that I was having to adjust thier placement in my ears far too often... especially when I'm doing some other activity like walking, or cleaning the house, etc. When they're not in 'just right' they sound pretty bad. Now I only use the in-ear phones at night when I'm listening to music in bed and trying not to disturb my wife (they cut out sound leakage very well).

9. brogers macrumors regular

I had the same problem. Then I remembered using ear plugs and the way I put them in. I pull my ear open and push the buds in as deep as I can. Sounds painful, but not. They stay nicely. I almost decided to return them or put them on the shelf until I tried this method. Seems to work best with the medium size installed. Works great.

10. kphinney macrumors newbie

kphinney

macally

White, comfortable, noise supression, super sound, and packable. Did I mention comfortable? Love 'em.
    PodPro Headphones

11. briankonar macrumors regular

awesome, ill take two

12. Bengt77 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I'll try that...

Well, to be honest, I haven't tried that yet. But then again, I never wear (wore) earplugs (before). Also, pushing them in and holding them there a minute or so before going out might indeed help a bit. I just hope the fit and seal will get better the more I wear them. I wouldn't feel too comfortable having bought these headphones while not using them.

Also, I have found that in the morning, the small caps fit my ears best, and then, later during the day, the medium sized ones fit better. Weird, eh?!...

13. poluvex macrumors newbie

Well - don't know how about the apple ones - but I got Sony MDRX Fonotopia ear hedphones - which on Apple based their idea.
    Their ear-bound buds are made from silicon and you have 3 different sizes - so you can select one which feets inside your ear perfectly - and well they even better quality than Apple ones (response range 6Hz-25000kHz - wow! comparing to 20Hz-20000kHz for apple ones).
    And - whats most important - you can wear them in your ears for a whole day - and you will feel nothing, no pain and no fatigue - like it is after few hours with all other earphones around (silicon does it ;])

Price is around the same (think Sony ones are just $5 more espensive).
    I use them for like 3 yeras now - and will never ever go for any other earphons

;]

14. nargot macrumors regular

they look a bit uncomfortable for me, i'm a sony earbudder at heart back from the walkman days

15. poluvex macrumors newbie

earbuds and caseing is made from silicon (in Sony ones) so they just naturaly feet inside your ear - you stop to feel them after a few minutes - and you can wear them for a whole day without any unconfortable fatigue.

16. Zyote macrumors newbie

I bought them pretty much as soon as they came out. And never got them to work for me. sound was good when i held them in. but i could never get them to stay in that "sweet spot" without holding them with my hands.

i tried all the different sizes, and really shoving them in my ears.

Didn't work at all.

rubbish, took them back. although they didn't want to give my money back, as selfridges (micro anvika) have a policy about returning headphones. (hygiene reasons).. but i bought a 17" apple display from them at the same time, and told them that the terms and conditions on *my* receipt said nothing about "not being able to return earphones".

i bought the original ipod headphones + remote instead.

17. nargot macrumors regular

But that doesn't hold them in :)

18. poluvex macrumors newbie

Well, it does for me - just use a size that suits your ear :)

:) :)

19. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I picked up some Etymotic ER6 headphones off of ebay and I'm very happy with them. Check them out at www.etymotic.com for product descriptions and reviews. You can also search for them. Check it out if you are interested in headphones.

lasuther

20. kphinney macrumors newbie

kphinney

I was thinking just the oposite when I bought my iPod. My GF uses it while jogging, walking, and sometimes on public trans. I made sure to get headphones that didn't tip off any ill-thinking iPod-wanting person that she has a $400 player in her pocket. No sense putting her at risk just for 'style'.