Apple Ipod Question (Car Stereo)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mac2004, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

I want to get a 20GB Ipod to listen to music in my car. I have an Alpine ar stereo in my new Honda. Will the Ipod work okay in the car and what do I need to have it play songs through my radio?

Also, does the music sound that clear compared to playing a CD in my car stereo? A friend of mine told me that the music is not as clear if you connect your Ipod to your car stereo. Is that true? Do CD's sound better than downloaded music from I tunes on an Ipod??? I am so confused!

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I tried an iTrip with my iPod, but took it back because I couldn't keep a decent signal - too much bleed through from other frequencies. I know two people who use this device and it sounds just fine to them. Might be my trucks stock audio system.

I currently use a regular old cassette adapter, which works fine, just some minimal background noise. Not quite as clear as CD quality from my in-dash player, but absolutely fine for my needs.

Alpine makes a interface for the iPod, but it only works with certain head units of theirs. I think it is around $100. Check their web site out.

3. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

all you need to do is find out if your alpine headunit has RCA inputs (these are the same inputs that you connect your nintendo to at the front of your TV). Then you just buy a stereo to RCA cable at radio shack, thread it to the back of your head unit, plug it in and there you go.

4. atsunset macrumors newbie

Alpine adaptor

We just got a new Alpine radio with the KCA-420i adaptor and the music sounds great. We also were frustrated with the poor reception from the FM modulator.

The alpine head unit has a feature called MX that is supposed to improve MP3 type songs to play like CD quality.

We have the 40 gig ipod and have about 300 CD's loaded. Our current issue is the Alpine head unit doesn't scroll though the album/artists play list as fast as the ipod does. We have only had it a couple of days, so we are still learning the head unit funtions as well as the interface funtions.

If anyone has short cuts for searching though the album or artist list please let me know.

5. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I don't have an alpine, nor does my wife, but we both have our iPods wired for the car. Both of our stereos had RCA jacks on the back so we simply plugged in a Y cabel, RCA to headphone, and ran the cable out the bottom of the dash. The iPod is then simply plugged in for hours of listening enjoyment.

Also, in my opinion, the iPod, when wiered to the steroe, sounds as good as CD's did.

6. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

How long does it take to connect the Ipod to a car stereo and what do i exactly need? Also, does the music sound as clear as a CD? If not, then the Ipod may not be for me.

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I say that yes, the music from the iPod is as clear as CD. My compression settings are 160kbs and 128kbs, 128kbs are iTMS purchases and 160kbs are my own purchased CDs. Both compression setting sound equally good in the car, can't tell the difference. Note, this is entirely my opinion, and I like to believe that I am pretty critical about quality.

How long does it take? As much time as it takes to pull out your stereo, attach an RCA Y (RCA to headphone) connector, all depends on how your unit was installed. Remember not all stereos have RCA out on the back, check your model number if you have one.

8. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

I got the Ice-Link from Denison for my Clio Sport (Phillips Head Unit).
    My headunit had no RCA ports, but did have the CD changer connection required by the Ice-Link. The major benefits are you get a non-damaging install which leaves a little cradle as the only visible thing, slide the ipod in and it connects through dock connection for crystal clear sound and charging in one. All the stalk controls work through the Ice-Link to pause/volume/next song etc.

I also wasted $90 on the iTrip before I found the Ice-Link, was not cheap, but worth every penny for me.

http://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=50&topid=42

9. St Soichiro macrumors regular

I know that I am repeating things said above, but will try and put it all in one perspective. There are several ways to listen to your iPod in your car - and I have tried most of them:

1. Tape adapter. Sound quality is medium - better than FM transmitters but not as good as hardwiring your iPod. The cheapest solution of them all. I have seen tape adapters as low as $4 USD at WalMart. Obviously works only if you have a cassette player in your car. :D
    I use this in my wife's car whenever I am driving it. She does not want to be bothered with an iPod, so I have not hardwired her car.

2. The iTrip. It is best of all the FM transmitters. But it is FM at best and static at worst. Not good for metropolitan areas. I live near NYC and always had a tough time finding a clear station. I used an iTrip for about 4 months. It will run you about $35 new. Used ones can be found cheaper (eBay). Best is to borrow one from a friend and try it out to see if you like it. The iTrip is great for portability. All cars have radios and I find it very useful when using friend's cars and rental cars. The iTrip does suck power much faster, but that can be fixed with a car charger.

3. Hardwire the iPod to your car. This is the most expensive but the best solution. I have done this for my daily driver (99 Civic) and would have it no other way from this point. My cost was ~$90, but your's can vary depending on what you have and what you want. If you have an auxiliary input in the car audio system - then you don't need to do much at all. Otherwise, you can get an adapter that convert the CD changer port (in the back of your stock radio) to an auxiliary line-in. It is not really difficult to do - I did mine in about 45 minutes! The Ice-Link is the premium version of this and will allow you to control the iPod through your car audio system.

4. The best way is to buy one of the latest BMWs and get the dealer to hardwire your iPod. Now this is one solution that I am yet to try.

Hope this helps. If you have the time and money go ahead and hardwire your iPod - as good as CDs. I got most of my info at www.ben-johnson.org/blog/index.php?p=37. There are other posts at ipodlounge.com also.
    You can PM me if you need more help.

Cheers
    St S. :p

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Do u know if thie ice-link will work in a 04 lexus ES330 with navigation/Mark lension option, cause this maybe just want i want!

11. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

Try their web page, I did not see Lexus listed, but I'd send them an email.
    The system works flawlessly, so I hope you can get it.

http://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=51&topid=42

12. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

Yeh, it looks pretty cool too, but only if you have a 2004 Alpine AI-net head unit, which is a bit of a limitation.

13. morkintosh macrumors regular

Alpine actually makes (or is making) an adaptor that allows you to control the iPod through the head unit, it displays the current song and everything right on the stereo face.

Failing that, I ran RCA outs from my stereo using an ip-bus converter so my AUX input is the iPod, sounds and works great.

14. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I have been trying to hook up my iPod (30G 3G) to my Sony Mobile ES CDX-C6850. About last week or so i went to the car stereo store where most of my equipment was purchased and installed. First i bought a "Y" Audio cable (headphone mini jack on one end, and RCA left and right audio plugs on the other end) and tried to plug them into my audio in plugs on the back of my cd player.

After i had everything pluged in and powered on, i could not hear the iPod playing anything, even though it was. I got so frustrated i gave up. Another thing was that when i tried to push my cd player back in the dash the RCA plugs made it so it wouldn't fit anymore. I tried looking for RCA angled adapters, but monster cable was the only place that i could find that sold them.

My CD player does have Audio in Ports on the back, but the manuel says that my cd player has the ability to plug in a TV, and a CD Changer.

Another thing that i should note is that my CD player's amp is powering my factory speakers. My JL Audio Mono block Amp is powering my 2 10" JL Audio Sub-Woofers.

Does anyone know what i am doing wrong? Or should i buy that Ice-Link thing?

Here is a link to another product besides the Ice-Link, but i think it does the same thing.
    http://www.logjamelectronics.com/ipodproducts.html
    heres another: http://www.neocaraudio.com/prod-ion.html

15. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Ummmmm radioshack sells that cable. Under 5 bucks.... I work there

On another note, anyone figre out a good way to install an iPod in a 2004 Focus SVT with the 9006 stereo (with 6 disc changer).

16. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I have an iRock:

http://www.myirock.com/players/irock400fm.asp

This works well. Not perfect. But good enough for me. It was just going to work out too expensive to get a cable connection to the back of my car stereo.

Hope this helps.

17. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Own it.....somewhere...

(work at RadioShack, thank you employe discount)

18. morkintosh macrumors regular

Those RCA inputs are for the subwoofer, not the AUX input. If you want to connect a device using RCA you have to get an ip-bus (in the case of Pioneer, you'd have to check what the converter is for the Sony I think) to RCA converter, then the y-adapter will be what you need for the iPod connection.

EDIT: don't buy the ice-link, you get MUCH better sound just using the monster cable. Here is the adaptor that I used http://logjamelectronics.com/logjam/piepioprca.html

19. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I found this doing a search with google:
    http://www.pie.net/son_aux_inst.htm

however, it says NOTE:A functioning Sony CD changer is required for this application. But, i do not have a CD Changer. So, what i think that i need is something like this:

MP3yourcar or
    Neo Car Audio

Since i don't plan on adding or using another type of electronic media (anything that uses RCA) in my car, i think that i might just get one of these products.

But i did find that IP to RCA adaptor, and there is no way i am going to pay this amont for an adaptor.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/SONXA300

20. morkintosh macrumors regular

21. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i will try to stop by tomarrow and ask them after i get out of class tomarrow evening.

thanks, i'll keep you posted.

22. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

No, don't do that. The dock connector has a MUCH better quality signal than the RCA out on the iPod. I believe Belkin makes an adapter for the dock connecter > RCA. Use that.

23. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Go register on www.focusfanatics.com

Make a post in the Car Audio section of the Forum, there will be many, many replies.

24. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

look in post #20 (mine) at the links for MP3yourcar and the one below that. This is what i would like to get but they cost around $150.00 or more.

Also, Belkin just makes the Auto charger adapter, or the FM broadcaster/charger (Auto kit, it features a built in amplifier for the FM transmiter).