Apple Ireland to UK using TNT

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GlynJones, Jun 30, 2005.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Hello all,

My Powermac was disptached yesterday lunchtime (Wednesday) from Apple Ireland. Yippee!!!.

Been using TNT tracking and it seems to have vanished after leaving the Cork depot at about 7 in the eventing.

Could you nice kind people tell me how long I can expect to wait for it to be delivered as I'll have to work from home on the day and a bit of notice would be nice.

I'm hoping Friday so that I have the weekend to play with my shiny new toy.

Thanks.

2. Awfers macrumors newbie

Don't want to get your hopes down, but TNT is one of the worst delivery services.. it took them 2 weeks to deliver my Powerbook (it sat in the loading dock in Cork for 7 days!!)

Hope you get yours faster than I got mine!!

Cheers,
    Awfers

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Yet, mine came more or less next day from cork. There's no telling. Always expect the worst so you are pleasantly surprised.

4. deadfrog macrumors regular

best thing to do is ring tnt, its freephone 0800 100 600 (i think)

my order said it was shipped on the 23rd, been checking alot as im an eager beaver and finally today tnt say its on the delivery van and should be here within working hours...

5. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Well still no update since it left Cork 2 days ago. Will give them a ring before I leave for work. Looks like I'm not going to get my new toy for the weekend :(

6. scarlets knees macrumors member

TNT are rubbish

I got my pb quite quickly, only problem was when they came to deliver it they decided not to bother ringing the doorbell. When my wife went to go out she noticed one of their cards on the doormat saying they'd tried to deliver but we were out! Then they wouldn't re-deliver at a convenient time so I ended up driving about 20 miles to go and get it myself. When I got there the security was terrible, there were no sign posts so I asked soemone who took me on a shortcut through areas with packages that I could easily have picked up. I then didn't have to show any id to get the package and then they just left me to find my own way back out again past all those unattended packages.

I've just ordered an ipod so hopefully as I'm around all next week I won't have to go through it again

7. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Rabg them before I went to work and was told it was out for delivery. Whats the point in having an online tracking system if they don't update it.

It was lucky I called. I can work from home so its not a problem but it's not good when the customer has to do all the legwork.

8. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Uh! OMG, they did this with my house with Tiger! I was in, but heard no doorbell, I saw the van leave out of the corner of eye and ran to catch it, but no luck (as i spend too much time on the computer, running is a problem.. catch 22 situ :p). Phoned them up and they said he'd be back at hub (with is literally down the road for me) at 7:30pm... so I asked if I could come and collect it. "No" the reply.

TNT have been QUICK delivering things with an iPod, a PowerMac G5, a 12" PB... but sometimes they just are rude.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    TNT's attitude is completely dependent on the local depot and how helpful they are prepared to be.

My up-to-date iLife was shipped to my house and when I called them to ask them to redeliver to work, they managed to get it to me at the office (from a different delivery depot) on the same day. I was quite impressed.

My sister's eMac had an address label properly - for some reason it was missing the first line!?! - so when she called late on Friday afternoon, it had gone back to the Edinburgh depot and technically shouldn't have come back out again til Monday. The guy at the depot though was very helpful and arranged for it to be transferred to the Stirling depot since then the driver could drop it off on the way there on the Saturday morning.

However, I do wish Apple would get their UK logistics manager more help since shipping from Apple UK is an entirely hit and miss affair.

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I think shipping from Apple anywhere is hit and miss, not just in the UK. However much I loathe to say it (due to low cost products, but high postage), eBuyer says a date and it gets here on that day.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Or it arrives 5 days early and you have to jump through hoops to get it redelivered! ;)

12. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it did arrive but not without fun and games.

I was having some lunch when I heard something being pushed through the letterbox. It was a jiffy bag. I ran out and caught the TNT driver and said that this doesn't look like and apple computer.

His reply was "oh i must have got the wrong address". He had. My powermac was in the back of the van so luckily i did the swap.

How do these guys stay in business. He would have delivered my computer to a complete stranger. :eek:

It works fine but I'll seriously consider alternatives next time as TNT are awful.

13. gabriel_uk macrumors regular

I'm amazed you got your PowerMac so quick. I ordered mine on June 20th and it was dispatched on Monday, June 27th. They said it would arrive in 3-4 days but I'm not expecting it until Monday, which is now tomorrow. :rolleyes: