Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
I went to buy a G4 800 yesterday.

I ended up with a G4 933 and a 22" Cinema display.

Apple is evil. They made me do it.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
aww, I was already to flame gocyrus cause i thought this would hav bin him.

It happens doesn't it, last Expo in the UK I went to get a new CD-RW External and I ended up with a full airport setup, CD-RW, New Mouse and an iPod they are all great apart from i lost my iPod.

Ensign

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
I was looking for a 550 powerbook and I ended up getting a 667 combo powerbook. Im writing now from one. So yes I feel your pain.;)

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Boo!!!

This subject had me all primed for a flame war. Such a dissappointment.

I hope your happy with your new G4! A friend of mine recently bought it and a Apple flatscreen display. Needless to say I'm green with envy of both of you.

Matthew

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Here I was, ready to open up a magnum of whoopass and then fizzzzle.. Aren't strokes created that way??? :D

Enjoy your G4 system...

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
All i wanted was a Mac OS X

All I wanted was a unix-based Mac OS X on a basic apple hardware. I never used any apple products before (other than quicktime)...all my development work was in Unix and Windoze. I ended up having a TiBook 550 with the best OS on earth, tons of Mac softwares (Webobjects being the costliest) and an iPod... I accumulated all within a short span of 3-4 months..

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
...i lost my iPod.
You lost your iPod!? SPEWIN'

And to everyone else... sorry about this thread not sparking a flame war. Would you like me to start another thread? :D

Oh yeah, the only bad thing is that I have to wait 4 days to get the 22 incher. It's actually 3 days and 17 hours, but who's counting... ;)

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Oh crap! I've just spent the day shuffling computers after having bought my 933. I moved my old G4 400 and set it up as the server. I got everything set up and working beautifully, and now it's **** itself. It boots and everything (although I'm not sure how far into the boot sequence it gets) but the screen wont turn on.

I've tried 2 monitors, 3 video cards, tried to boot from 3 different OS CDs, reset the PRAM and zapped the PMU board.

But it's stuffed. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by Beej
Oh crap! I've just spent the day shuffling computers after having bought my 933. I moved my old G4 400 and set it up as the server. I got everything set up and working beautifully, and now it's **** itself. It boots and everything (although I'm not sure how far into the boot sequence it gets) but the screen wont turn on.

I've tried 2 monitors, 3 video cards, tried to boot from 3 different OS CDs, reset the PRAM and zapped the PMU board.

But it's stuffed. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

damn. i feel sorry for you... and im sorry I cant help.

irmongoose

Pelorus

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2001
more info needed

Originally posted by Beej
It boots and everything (although I'm not sure how far into the boot sequence it gets) but the screen wont turn on.

Without telling us more, how can we help?

First, check the screen is turned on.
Disconnect any non-standard crap from the machine - includes external disks and whatever and remove any third party RAM
Boot the machine, holding down Apple-V so you get verbose mode and look for errors and problems.
Tell us what point it gets to in the boot.
SSH in from another machine and see if the loginwindow process is running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.