"Apple is great" week

Discussion in 'Community' started by funkychunkz, Sep 8, 2005.

1. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Mostly everybody here is an apple supporter. And so most of us know that macs are a minority, software can be pricey (in comparison with windows)
    and that the reason why we pay more for computers is in part due to the lack of buyers.

LET'S CHANGE THIS!!!

As a popular mac website community, we should take it upon ourselves to spread the joy of Apple. I ask that for one week we dedicatedly show off our products more than usual, and try to convince others to switch (preferably the stong opionned ones, and the non-loser type).

When should we set it?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I have to disagree with this. As a long time Windows user and ex-Microsoft employee, one of the biggest turnoffs a Windows user can face is a zealous pro-Mac/pro-Apple person telling them how good Apple products are... people generally don't want to be told that what they are using is not as good as what someone else is using, particularly when they don't have a choice of what to use (e.g., office workers, students, etc.).

I think the best thing to do is to let them approach you and then just explain to them why you use what you use IF THEY ASK. DON'T try to convince them to switch... that's the worst thing that you can do. (By way of example: When religious missionaries come to your door, what's the usual reaction? Chase them off, right? Preaching the gospel of Mac/Apple elicits a similar response in many Windows/non-Apple users.)

3. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I would like to be the first one to share here that I, in the past month, converted 3 hardcore Windows users. And they are loving it.

It was simple, I worked on a friend at the office for about 6 months. We would talk about computers and I would bring my PowerBook to work. He started to get interested and one evening he called me from a CompUSA asking me whether he should buy an iMac or a PowerBook. I said an iMac for sure if he did not need portability, which he did not. So he said he was getting a 17" 2Ghz. He called later saying he got the 20". It's been a month and he says he is glued to the computer when he is at home.

So a couple of weeks ago he tells me two of his friends got Macs after seeing his. An iBook and a PowerBook. They are happy campers.

I hope he is not reading this!!!!

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

clayj is correct. Mac Evangelism turns off many folks, and just perpetuates the cult perception people seem to have.
    If you really want to be pro-active, just hang out in an Apple retail store. There, you will find quite a few Windows users who are curious and open-minded enough about Mac to be receptive, especially if you don't come off as too militantly pro-Mac. I've found that people are often far more willing to listen to a fellow consumer than a staffer. Towson should pay me commission. :p

5. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Yeah, of course, you have to be cool about it.

6. yenko macrumors 6502a

Keep it to ourselves you know, like a secret!!

:eek: Starting to sound like a new religion.You're beginning to scare me! :(

7. funkychunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

No, it's more like helping ourselves, where as religion is more out to a greater good

:)

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

This movement died quick. Shot down on the very first reply. :D

I frequent another forum on digital video. I've found that if you show off your creative works and it is good, people tend to be more receptive when you tell them you use Macs.

9. funkychunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

When you say this this gets me think about advertisement. When you see an anoying ad, you think "gee as if I would buy this", just because you'd like to think that you're idependant and not easily pushed. But if you keep on hearing from others (especially your friends) you might eventually break down and try the thing.

At this point there is nothing else to do, they will either love it ,or suffer from their own stuborness. All we have to do is to convince people to try it out. We don't want people being persuaded by words and when they decide they don't like it spread their dissapointment to others.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It's this statement of yours that's trouble (my emphasis): "All we have to do is to convince people to try it out."

Actually, you/we don't have to do anything. Apple's ads are one thing... it's their products that they're advertising. But when you start acting as an outspoken advocate for Apple and proselytizing their products to others, THAT is when you start alienating people.

My point is that the passive approach, where you sit back and answer questions, is MUCH more effective than the in-your-face approach of trying to convert people. You do what you like; I'm just saying I think it won't work very well, and you may actually turn people off to Apple products. (I was one of those people... a certain MacZealot pissed me off so strongly with his pro-Apple/anti-everything else comments that it was a number of years before I'd even consider buying any Apple products.)

11. funkychunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

My point is that alot of people currentley DON'T "answer questions". You might, so when I say extreme to a lame guy, that ammounts to what you do.

By saying to put extra effort into "converting" people, the lame joes will do what you and I always do, which is what I want people to do. Once people have "converted" a person they might like the feeling of helping someone, and will continue to enlarge the mac community.

Maybe I should have simply said exactly what I meant in the first place. But hey,I just wanted people to look, but they aren't.