Apple is in trouble...

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by Rockridge, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Rockridge macrumors newbie

If Apple doesn't have the G5 this Macworld... well, it's time for some of you hackers to develop a version of the Mac OS 9/X to run on a PC.

Remember, it's not the PC that sucks... it's that monster Windows.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Rockridge, you really lost me on this one.

>If Apple doesn't have the G5 this Macworld...
    At least finish your own statement. :) What are you going to do if a G5 doesn't come out? Don't expect a G5, plain and simple. If Apple releases much more improved G4s w/DDR-RAM will you still consider that to be insufficient?

>...it's time for some of you hackers to develop a version of the Mac OS 9/X to run on a PC.
    So are you saying that the only way to get raw power in a computer is by the peecee and an Apple OS? I'll admit, Apple hardware has some problems, but I haven't experienced as many hardware problems on Macs in comparison to how "buggy" the windoze OS has been, but at least the Macs have 5 lines of supercomputer products at an affordable range. You don't find that so easily with peecees.

IMO Apple should be fine with a faster G4 and DDR-RAM and no G5. So get over it. :cool:

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

its illegal to run an apple OS on non-apple hardware. check your EULA. black and white plain and simple.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's not only the PC that sucks, it's that energy sucking monster called a Pentium.

Intel took the route toward high MHz as a cure for performance - it doesn't work as well as their marketing department want you to believe.

The Pentium's problems are getting obvious enough that the Wintel computers should carry a BTU rating with the amount of heat they create and the same type of energy rating they use on appliances.

And because of the bottlenecks in performance in the rest of the system, a 100% increase in clock speed does not equate to similar increases in benchmark performance. They raced blindly ahead without carrying the rest of the IO along for the ride.

The Wintel monopoly isn't quite the cure-all for large installations as they would like you to believe - especially when they are starting to require the same upgraded power distribution and air conditioning systems some of the old mainframes in the past have required.

5. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I for one would like to see an AMD Athlon XP run Mac OS X. It could reveal a lot about Apple's hardware. As a fairly recent switcher, I wonder about how OS X would run on my own Athlon XP 1700+. Apple is not in trouble, though. Their hardware is indeed the nicest looking (and running) computer equipment I've ever seen. You don't buy a Mac just for the software, but also for the well-designed hardware.

I keep trying to get Basilisk II to run OS X, still doesn't work. If anyone know anything about this, please tell me.

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Basilisk II...

...is a 68k emulator. Running OSX on it would be like running Windows on a mac without an emulator. There are no PowerPC emulators that I know of.

Also, the person who posted about the G5/OSX on x86 doesn't know what he's talking about. OSX on x86 would be the real death of Apple. There would be exactly 0 applications with GUIs that would run on it. The G5 is not the cure for everything, it's an excellent chip, but a G4 with DDR on a .13 micron manufacturing process can definitely hold us until MWSF2003. I would *almost* be willing to bet money that the G5 won't come out in 10 days at MWNY (I never make bets that I don't already know the outcome of).

7. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Another thread in the wake of NO rumors that is just painfully a waste of kilobytes.

Why Not just try to get APPLE to let you lease the OS and put it on your own chip that you make in your backyard! ~ Sheesh

Apple isnt in any trouble - as long as DDRam comes out this MWNY!

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Let's all go and buy a Mac after the MWNY just to make sure that they aren't in any trouble :D