APPLE is killing MOTOROLA!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by cikutek, Apr 24, 2002.

1. cikutek macrumors newbie

How can MOTOROLA compete with INTEL, when APPLE sells fewer computers in a year than INTEL-based PCs in a month (or maybe a week)?!?

Over 20 years ago when APPLE started, 68000 was hands down the best, most powerfull, most advanced CPU on the market! Why APPLE didn't capture 20-30% of the PC market? Don't tell me it's because they didn't have a good CPU. They had the BEST, FASTEST CPU in the world!!!

Do you really think that INTEL could afford $7 bln a year of R&D cost with sales like APPLE???
    APPLE's total revenue is less than INTEL's R&D budget!!!
    With APPLE sales of $5.4 bln last year what do you think MOTOROLA gets for their CPUs? $500 mln, maybe? Of that $500 mln how much can they use for R&D? $100-$200 mln?
    !!!!!Last year INTEL's sales were $26.5 bln!!!!!!

It's a miracle that with such marginal computer maker as APPLE, MOTOROLA is still in the CPU business!
    Well, it's actually because of CISCO, GM, Nortel and others that use PowerPC-based chips. APPLE alone with their <10% market share is no match to all INTEL-based PC makers.

2. Skandranon macrumors regular

Pffft.

Heh. You notice how no one has replied to your remark? Because no one cares what you think.

Take note.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Pffft.

True, True...

I think we have a new GoCyrus on board!

And to this guy, Apple failed because of their prices. If they didn't have....errrr whats his name...on board, there would have been no comptetetion in the late 80s early 90s.

Then, the PC was developed, and was a piece of sh*t machine. People saw they were cheaper, and that was just the beginning....

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

whenever i see posts like this, i think of Dennis Leary's song, "He's an @sshole" hehe...

Pricing was a big no-no for Apple, but in my mind the biggest problem is that the little startup company was suddenly competing with IBM, which had been around 100 years prior, and made a fortune with typewriters... they had the means that Apple didn't to get their product to the masses...

:)
    pnw

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

fighting words

"APPLE alone with their <10% market share is no match to all INTEL-based PC makers."

Them there are fighting words my friend.

How bad were the peecee makers doing just last year??? At the same time that they were closing retail locations, Apple was opening theirs. For how many years have the peecee world been saying Apple was on it's death bed?? Apple just ignored their 'predictions' (more like wet dreams) and just kept on going. Mac laptops, and desktops, have been showing up in both tv programs, ads and movies quiet a bit. Granted, many times the Apple is covered up, but anyone that has seen one in a store can recognize it.

Don't gauge a companies sucess by market share alone. For a small computer maker, Apple has impressive sales numbers, with more then enough captial to see it through some lean times. How many other people here bought new systems in the past two years or less?? How many plan to buy additional systems in the coming year??? How many Mac's have you owned over the past decade, and how happy have you been with them??? I can almost guarantee that more people that have/use Mac's are consistently pleased with them, and buy additional ones as soon as they can.

How many peecee's over 3-4 years old are in real use these days??? I would almost bet money that there are a higher percentage of older Mac's still in service over peecee's. How many people in here either have, or know someone with, a beige G3 or pre-G3 system that is still in active service??

I would be interested in hearing some feedback on that.

As for Apple killing motorola.... The way I see it, Apple is giving motorola steady income, who would turn down that???? No one with at least 1/2 a brain won't.

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I LOVE that song... Does anyone have it on cd??? How about on their computer??? That would be a funny shutdown item to have... have it play that song every time you go to shut off your computer :D

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

wasn't sure if anyone would know what i was talking about... well, off to Undernet to find it then :) they have everything in #mp3passion

pnw

8. bonehead macrumors regular

I typed this on a 9500/200 which replaced my SE/30 four years ago. At work I use a 9600/300.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: fighting words

We have a 7500 running a FileMaker database, another one in a conference room, and 3 beige G3s (desktop, not tower) floating around, one as an everyday workstation for my girlfriend (yes, we work together, and no, we didn't meet on the job). :D

10. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: fighting words

I've got a 7600/133 back home in the UK, still in perfect working order. I've added an external 9GB hard drive, but other than that it's the same as the day it was bought. I love that machine, not least because it has a 21" monitor. That was just huge after coming from a dinky little powebook 140!

11. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

actually paul IBM was founded in 1901 in Endicott NY as a Time Clock company.... not typewriters....

IBM has been making computers since WW2 (originally the size of a house)

But yes, apple was a better product... (and smaller)

C-

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Fighting words

I used a Performa until 6 months ago, apple stuff lasts along time! I see lots of PC out it the garbage they must be under 3 years old, macs are built to last.

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I agree with this guy.

I do agree with cikutek, but his delivery is a little blunt.

This is what I've been saying all along, how can you expect Motorola (or IBM) to compete with Intel/AMD with their PPC development when the market for those chips is so small? While MOT has had lots of manufacturing problems, the performance gap (real or perceived) is a combination of blunders by both Motorola and Apple. If Apple were to sell more Macs, then Motorola would have more incentive to produce faster chips. But if Motorola would develop faster chips, then Apple could sell more Macs. Chicken and egg thing going here.

I think Apple is going in the right direction here by moving the consumer desktop line to G4s, thus giving Motorola a bigger slice of the PPC market. If the G5 is indeed a Motorola chip, then it would seem that Apple is giving the entire Mac market back to Motorola. They aren't stupid, Apple's not gonna hand over the keys to the future to Motorola unless they know that some good stuff will be coming out of Chicago.

Only time will tell.

14. iGav macrumors G3

Yet Intel with all that R&D budget, they still can't produce a decent f**king chip with it.........:p

15. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

regardless of your fanaticism, he's got one of the most valid points I have seen on these boards in a very long time.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, if it is such a valid point explain this to me:

1. Moto is a business,
    2. IBM is a business,
    3. Both make PPC based chips,
    4. Both sell to Apple, and
    5. Both companies are continuing their research and development of the PPC chips.

Why?

If it was such a bad idea and they were unable to compete, don't you think their shareholders would say something?

17. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Like ftaok said... it's gotta start SOMEWHERE!

How can Apple reach more people when Moto supplies them with sub-standard chips?

Apple's computers rely completely on what Motorola puts out (it's the freakin' HEART of the thing). So the ball is in Motorola's court. Motorola's either got to have the motivation (which they obviously don't), or Apple has to move on. It's Motorola who's killing Apple... or Apple killing themselves because they keep holding out for Moto to deliver the goods.

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

$hitbrain, or what ever your name is. Shut the **** up! Go away to flame again another day. Notice how the little p***y doesn't come back to face the wrath. No. He pops his head in, and gets all of us Mac users suited up in our flame retardant Kevlar body armour and then runs and hides like a little girl. Do yourself a favor. Go lock yourself in a closet.

19. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: I agree with this guy.

The original poster answered his own d**n question. How do expect Motorola to compete with Intel??? Because Intel isn't Motorola's only competition and isn't the only market in which Moto competes. They have a huge stake in the embedded processor market. PPC technology is used in a huge variety of products and most of the troubles Moto is seeing right now is not related to a slowdown in the PC market its because of a slowdown in the embedded market.

I'm sure many of you know that a PPC chip is used in the Gamecube. Of course that processor is an IBM processor, but its an example of a high selling product using PPC outside of PCs. Also, routers and other networking equipment. From what I've seen, Apple sales don't represent the majority of Motorola's sales.

Everyone needs routers. Only 5% of the world owns Macs. Do the math.

[edit]
    The original post seems quite uninformed and is certainly flamebait.
    [/edit]

Taft

20. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Re: I agree with this guy.

Hey Taft,

I am well aware that most of Motorola's PPC chips go into things other than Macs. Hell, I'm a shareholder in the company.

I'm not trying to bait anyone here. All that I'm saying is that maybe Motorola would be more motivated to produce faster PPCs for Apple if Apple could move more machines. Moving the consumer line to Motorola's chip is a step in the right direction (my opinion) in solidifying Motorola's attention. Right now, Motorola's G5s seemed to be destined for Cisco's gear. So Cisco will dictate what features are most important, not Apple. If Cisco's needs coincide with Apple's needs, then all the better, but if not, don't look for optimal G5s for Macs. Motorola has to go for the bigger market, and if that means routers, then that's the direction that they gotta take.

BTW, when I was referring to blunders by both Apple and Motorola, the Apple ones (I'm only listing the Apple ones since the Motorola ones are painfully obvious to all) that I'm referring to are a)dumping of the clone project and b)killing MOT stock back when the G4 tower was released.

a)When the Mac Clones were available, Motorola had many customers for the PPC (Apple, PowerComputing, UMAX?, and themselves). With this type of structure, there was a steady stream of business that was hungry for faster chips. When Steve came back, he killed that and pi$$ed MOT off. The story was that Motorola got rid of all MacOS machines and switched to Dells.

b)When MOT dropped the ball and couldn't produce G4s that ran faster than 450Mhz, Apple came out publicly bashed Motorola for messing up their quarter. MOT stock dropped around 20% in a little over a week. A little discretion could have been shown then.

Anyways, Apple and Motorola are rebuilding their ties now. Hopefully for both, the next generation of PPCs for Macs will be generations ahead of what we have now.

21. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

hemingray,

Yeah, it's gotta start somewhere. And I think that Apple has shown their hand by moving the consumer line to Motorola.

As for the "sub-standard chip" comment, to my knowledge, Motorola aren't the ones who are designing the mobos. I'm no hardware expert, but don't you think the G4 would run better on a faster system bus? Maybe Motorola's designs don't allow for a faster bus, I don't know, but if that's the case, Apple should be pushing Motorola for faster bus speeds rather than raw clock speed.

And the sub-standard components don't start and end with the Motorola stuff. Apple is still bundling 16MB video cards with the "pro" laptops and 8MB ones on the "consumer" ones. Dell is offering 32MB and 64MB on most of their laptops. Motorola has no hand on this one at all.

My opinion - neither one is killing the other.

22. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Re: Re: I agree with this guy.

Sorry, I meant the original post was uninformed flamebait. You definitely had a more civilized, rational post. Sorry I didn't make it clearer. My bad.

And I agree Moto designs chips that are more tailored towards their major markets, ie routers and such. But I think thats an argument that helps show Apple really isn't controlling them enough to be hurting them. If Apple isn't really controlling the direction of PPC at Motorola, how can they be blamed for Moto's problems? I think Moto is cooking their own problems and if anything I think that Moto's focus on embedded markets is going to hurt Moto in the long run.

I really don't understand why Apple doesn't go with IBM. I mean, IBM is making their own PCs running Linux and seem to be producing faster chips that are more capable of PC tasks. Actually, are they still making those PCs? I haven't heard anything about them in a while. In any case, they seem to be in a better situation for making PC capable chips.

Again, sorry about the hostility. It really wasn't directed towards you.

Taft

23. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

backtothemac that was the most useless POS post i have ever seen on these forums, surpassing by far mac15, gocyrus, and some others. no offense mac15, i like ya, just not when you post one word responses :p

Flame wars are all well and good, but only if the repartee is indeed intelligent.

24. Shibby macrumors newbie

I have an original apple lisa at home running great was using it yesterday.

25. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Re: Re: Re: I agree with this guy.

No problem. I guess that we're just gonna disagree. I do agree that Apple's situation will in no way "kill" Motorola.

But the 2 companies are on their way to recovering past glory (my opinion). The move towards Motorola's chip (consumer G4s) is a step in the right direction. If Apple wants to get Motorola on the move, then they have to make themselves an important customer. And that is only generated with more orders for Motorola chips.