Apple is officially Microsoft (Mail/updates bitching)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by disconap, Oct 17, 2006.

1. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

So when did Apple stop caring about the quality of their work? When did they start releasing updates before they were debugged/thoroughly tested? The previous Panther update crashed all of my machines and could only be recovered through an archive/install, and the most recent update has completely screwed up Mail. My mail program now crashes 5-7 times a day, and the junk filter no longer works (it catches about 1 out of every thirty; before the update it was more like it missed 1 out of 30). What the hell is going on over there? I know that 10.3 is an almost obselete OS, but that doesn't mean they should supply a patch that breaks it...

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I've had zero problems with Tiger updates. I would assume that they both received the same level of testing before release. Anyone else experiencing the same problems with Panther? I'm curious because I was planning on leaving my Powerbook just as it is when Leopard is released and I hope that any future updates for Tiger are rock solid.

3. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

My Mail program is perfect - open all day with 0 crashes.

Maybe it's you.

4. theWholeTruth macrumors member

More info and less unfounded generalizations would be useful.

Take a deep breath and write down exactly what is going wrong and what you did before it started happening.

5. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Not seeking help, just venting. And not unfounded or a generalization, it was a sepcific gripe.

Ok, if you really want to know:

What I did was download the most recent security update. Since then my junk mail catches (to correct my original comment, since I just finished marking up the junk from this morning) 1 out of 216 junk mail pieces, whereas just a week and a half ago (before the update) it was catching hundreds a day. And now, when marking new junk mail, mail crashes.

6. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

The only problem I've had with this update is with the mail app, but it is essentially unusable.

And I don't hate Apple, I'm just pissed off and getting half as much work done as I should be since this started happening....

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

0 problems with Mail on PowerPC and Intel since 10.4.0 and 10.4.4.

8. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

And my copy of Tiger arrives today, so hopefully I won't have this problem in future. But I'm not using tiger currently.

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Maybe you need to retrain the spam filter. I have had 0 crashes and get very little spam using Mail.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Maybe its because of your older hardware or OS? I would assume they get a little sloppier the older the tech is.

11. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Hmm, I don't know that that would make a difference, really; I'm fairly certain that the only difference between training mode and regular mode is that in training mode you have to manually delete the mail, in regular they are moved to the junk folder. I'll give it a try, though, can't hurt (and would really result in the same thing happening now at worst)...

12. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

I would think that too, or even because of all the modding/upgrading I've done to my box, but it does the same thing on my ibook, which is only two years old.

13. theWholeTruth macrumors member

Yes, it is generalizing based on no definitive proof. Just because your machine has crashed due to 2 updates does not mean that Apple has all of a sudden tanked their QC department. I know it can be frustrating, but keeping a calm and rational attitude will serve you better...

Did you check to make sure your machines were included in those updates? Security updates can cause problems so it's always adviseable to read the docs. One does not always need to install every single security update that is released.

Again, you haven't given enough info. For example: what computer, what OS, did you install any other programs recently...

14. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

What proof? I am witnessing it, as are other people, and the last OS updates tanked tons of machines. Nothing I said was a generalization...

As for the comments on Apple's QC department, agreed. The thread is titled bitching, and again I am not asking for help, just venting. ;)

And I am perfectly calm, it's just frustrating when you're under deadline and have to waste close to an hour relaunching and refinding moved mail (like I did yesterday).

Yup.

Again, I'm not asking for help, but I appreciate you wanting to. For the machine, look down...

15. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

I've actually seen a number of cases where the "last" version of a certain piece of software was often buggier than the "next-to-last." I'm not saying that Apple is doing this, but I have seen it happen. Anyone remember ATM? The final version they realeased of that was terrible while earlier versions worked fine. For this and other reasons, it's always a good idea to scout forums like MacRumors for other people with problems with upgrades. We skipped 10.4.7 at my work and waited until 10.4.8 because of some of the bugs in that. It just pays to keep informed.

16. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Yeah, I've heard people say things like that. I just got the retail Tiger I bought from amacgenius (literally just arrived), so hopefully I won't have any trouble with it. I'd install right now, but I think I'd rather do a totally clean install and not an upgrade (I'm really not a fan of migrating)...

If I could change the title of this thread, I would, as it is meant to be just a venting thread and wasn't designed to enrage people. I've been a Mac user for 15 years, I have no interest in leaving, it's just been a frustrating week or so.