Apple is Ripping off 2KHappyWare with the "headless imac" !!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by invaLPsion, Jan 3, 2005.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    I don't know if anyone remembers, but last year a small independent mac seller was building Apple computers. They were called 2KHappyware or CoreComps. They had an ingenius idea to produce an iBox. A pizza box shaped apple computer that would run Mac OSX. Unfortunately, Apple threatened suit, and Corecomps was shut down.

Today, Apple's "headless iMac" is seeming quite similar to the description of CoreComps brainchild, the iBox. It seems to me that Apple may indeed have ripped-off this design. However, we will have to wait until MWSF to compare the two designs.

Below is a picture of CoreComps "box."

Attached Files:

• box.gif
      File size:
      11.7 KB
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    It'll be interesting to see how the eventual rumored product will resemble this product... I like it – it looks like a piece of hifi equipment with its feet.

Were there any specs (real or planned) for this?
  3. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Sep 25, 2004
  4. David Lundgren macrumors member

Nov 26, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Given that Apple has yet to acknowledge that this project even exists, and that this rumor has come and gone before, this may be a bit premature...

and as far as the "pizza box" design, see the Performa entry level line from the general 1994 era. Nothing new here, and it was Apple that did it first.
  5. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Not sure the "headless" iMac is really CoreComps' brainchild. It looks like an aluminum version of the LC "pizza box."

Sure, it's updated and all, but this type of Mac has been around. Apple will make something that looks significantly nicer than this.

Edit: Shouldn't have looked for a picture... :)
  6. timmyOtool macrumors member

So are you saying they were planning to build that? They should have known better than to think apple would let that happen. And just to comment on the design, maybe it will be semular maybe not, but the whole pizza box thing seems like a kind to logical step to me.
  7. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    just add it to the long list of stuff apple has stolen then claimed they invented it
  8. thecow macrumors 6502

Nov 24, 2003
    Timonium MD
    How many ways can you build a small pizza box computer? It's just a form factor. There are only so many things that you can change on it.
  9. altair macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2002
    Seattle, WA

It seems to me that it was CoreComps who was stealing Apples intelectual property, hence the lawsuit.

I guess you could say that apple is stealing something from a company that was stealing something from apple...
  10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    See the Performa series of computers.

Plus, the rumor mill says that Apple's <insert name here> was in the works for quite some time-- over a year, perhaps, getting everything right. So they might have sued to keep this company quiet over their design that was up and coming.
  11. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Ummmmm... huh?
  12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    quick snipe + no evidence/links = troll-like behavior -Let's see some evidence :D

Looking at that thing made me think of the Quadra 605
  13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Cheap, low cost Mac stuffed into a pizza box case to bring the Mac to the low-price end of the computer spectrum...

Sounds a lot like a Mac LC...

But that was delivered to the public in 1990, so I can see how people would get confused with CoreComp which actually invented the Mac pizza box concept in 2002/03.

Edit: Now how do I go about stealing that flying DeLorean that CoreComp uses to invent these concepts well before the rest of the world?
  14. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Bet they use the iPod form factor.
  15. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    Everybody is quick to label this as another case of "poor-little-third-party-developer-being-crushed-by-big-mean-Apple" but we have to recognize that it very well may not be true. The seller was building them "last year"? How do we prove that Apple hasn't been brainstorming this idea from before that? In fact, with the historical precedent of the old pizza box Macs and the Cube, the idea of a small, headless computer could be said to have existed long before this third-party company. It is no understatement that the company*may* have actually gotten the idea from Apple instead. Second, IIRC, OS X's end user agreement states that the OS can only be installed on computers made by Apple (or something like that). That alone would be enough justification for Apple shutting them down with a lawsuit. Remember what happened the last time Apple let the operating system run on other companies' computers? I think there's a good reason why they're keeping the system closed. And of course, the "ingenious idea to produce an iBox" is not so ingenious if you think about it. It is nothing revolutionary... like others have stated, it is just bringing an LC into the modern age. Hell, the i- product name isn't even original. At least they could have come up with some creative name.
  16. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    I want to disagree only on the basis that I (personally) think that they should make it look like an Xserve... however, I feel that the chic white box is more likely to occur.
  17. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Your right!

Everybody, read the 'tar! My 'tar!
  18. Crikey macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2004
    Spencer's Butte, Oregon
    It's not like the concept of a headless computer is unique. Most computer companies make headless computers. It's only the concept of a relatively inexpensive headless Apple computer that is unique.

There were "pizza boxes" before the Mac LC. Most of them ran Unix, although I guess the Amiga 1000 was kind of a mutated pizza box. That was from when, 1985? Steve Jobs' NeXTstation was a pizza box. Interesting how the current G5 towers recall and update the metallic look of the NeXT hardware.

It will be interesting to see if this thing materializes, and if so, if it's a variant of the eMac, or of the iBook, or something all its own.

How many people here would be interested in buying one?

19. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    well for the list we can start with oh umm DashBoard

iTunes (sorry I dont rember the name of the 3rd party medai player in the works before it came out but I have seen some stuff on it and oddly a lot of the same stuff is in it but it was made the same dev)

The Dock (did come Jobs former company)

Appleworks (kind of a copy off of MSworks and what not)

Sherlock or was it watson one or the other....

apple has a history of doing stuff like this.
    Yeah MS copys more stuff but there is a differnerts MS does not state blantly state they came up with the idea but when apple steals they steal hard core and state it all there own work

Dont call me a troll I just am not a blind zealot and know a more about the computing world and what is going on in there then most people here
  20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Since when is Appleworks a "copy" of a MS product?

Rupert Lissner began writing it in 1982 and released it in 1984 for the Apple II (as AppleWorks), something about seeing the Lisa Office concept.

One of the earliest integrated programs and cross platform programs around, since the Apple 2 and 3 programs shared file formats.

Might not seem like a cross-platform now -- but back then it was.

MicroSoft Works was introduced in 1987, so once again I can see how MS invented the concept.

Lisa Office Prototypes 1979-2000
  21. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Ever hear of Desk Accessories? Original Mac, 1984? Konfab came from that. The designer, Arlo Rose, used to work for Apple. did a good article on that. Note the fact that he knew what was coming.

That's because they bought Soundjam from Cassidy and Greene. They even talked with their competitors at the time, the makers of Audion. But they didn't want to sell, even though they knew iTunes was coming out. Soundjam = iTunes.

NEXT. ;)

AppleWorks = ClarisWorks. Also bought. Guess who copied who.

Sherlock came first, Watson was an extension of that. They offered the guy a job because they wanted to improve it and didn't want to overlap what he was doing. He turned them down.

You're right, M$ never copies something and calls it their own. Office, Windows, X-Box... all original ideas.

There is plenty to criticize Apple for. These are not them. Some of us also use Windows, and we know a lot too.
  22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Agreed. I think these convo's like this make me stooopid.
  23. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    Really though, i was going to type the same thing - and as i scrolled down you already did it for me. Plus yours is better written. Okay, watch the movie "pirates of sillicon valley" or something like that. And where did firewire, usb, the mouse and countless other necessities come from? they were first introduced on macs.

24. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    Well, to be fair, Apple didn't invent USB -- they did however create the market for it, with the puck mouse and the absence of a floppy drive on the iMac. That's why so many of the early USB peripherals are styled after the iMac G3.
  25. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Hey, I remember a spreadsheet called Multiplan (I think I have the name right) that a certain small little Redmond software company wrote for the Apple II way back in the day. Probably predates all this stuff. :D

MS has been writing office-type software for quite a long time; don't know if they were first though.

In any case as others have noted, headless computers have been around a LONG time, especially on the UNIX end of things - and low form-factor computers are nothing new either.