Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marpixct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Has anyone noticed that in the Apple website, in the page for iPad Pro, any references and images is to the 9.7" model? Have you noticed also to the fact that it seems that the company is hiding silently the largest model? Almost as to indicate a future elimination from the market.
I know they are just speculations, but according to you do you think that Apple's marketing policy is oriented all at the expense of the 12.9?

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Has anyone noticed that in the Apple website, in the page for iPad Pro, any references and images is to the 9.7" model? Have you noticed also to the fact that it seems that the company is hiding silently the largest model? Almost as to indicate a future elimination from the market.
I know they are just speculations, but according to you do you think that Apple's marketing policy is oriented all at the expense of the 12.9?

What are you talking about? The first two sets of images on the iPad Pro page shows both the large and small models together. Then, what follows is a description of the two Retina screen sizes. All this is featured prominently at the top. That's hardly hiding.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
The 12.9 is awesome.
However the screen on the 9.7 is better then the 12.9.
I feel the 12.9 was plan B.
Apple maybe hiding the 12.9 to lessen the demand and the manufacturing of new units.
I am hoping the new 12.9 will be announce in September, that will contain the newer screen found in the 9.7.

marpixct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
The 12.9 is awesome.
However the screen on the 9.7 is better then the 12.9.
I feel the 12.9 was plan B.
Apple maybe hiding the 12.9 to lessen the demand and the manufacturing of new units.
I am hoping the new 12.9 will be announce in September, that will contain the newer screen found in the 9.7.

My fear is that anyone who has given confidence to the Pro12.9, will find themselves with a device prematurely discontinued.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
My fear is that anyone who has given confidence to the Pro12.9, will find themselves with a device prematurely withdrawn

What, you think Apple is going to come to your house and take it away? It's the most powerful iOS device on the market. It's going to be able to run every app, and receive every update for a long time to come even if Apple discontinues it.

More to the point, the 9.7" model is featured because it's the newest, and because that's the most mainstream form factor.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
They aren't hiding it in store. I was buying an Apple Pencil this weekend, I saw people buying the iPad Air 2 and the big iPad Pro - less interest in the 9.7" from what I saw. The rose gold is beautiful, though, my next phones, iPads and Macbooks will be that color.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
It's worth remembering that everyone got all crazy over the promotional video for the 9.7" iPad Pro because it was entitled "the new iPad Pro" (implying it superseded the 12.9").

Then, when you watch the video you see it feature both 9.7" and 12.9".

In short, Apple marketing calls both sizes "the new iPad Pro". The 12.9" isn't going to be discontinued IMO.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
My fear is that anyone who has given confidence to the Pro12.9, will find themselves with a device prematurely discontinued.
Their devices will continue to work just as well as they do today. And as for an upgrade path even if sales are bad I think apple would give it at least one upgrade before giving up, they've put too much effort into it.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Well, I went to apple.com, clicked "iPad" right at the top and BAM:

iPad Pro
Super. Computer.
Now in two sizes.

Screenshot-2016-03-22-at-18.51.02-1200x533.png

If you want a real challenge, try finding an airport express. :p

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA

You're overthinking this.

Apple adds products to its lineup in a very careful and thoughtful way (some would say too slowly). I'm sure they considered offering a larger iPad for a long time, making sure it made sense to release one due to customer demand. Similarly, they usually do not discontinue products abruptly. The 12.9 will be around for a long while because as Tim Cook said in a recent keynote, it could replace a PC. And while it may not be the right device for everybody, it was never meant to be. That's why Apple offers different sizes. That said, my observation here and elsewhere is that the people who own the 12.9 love it.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This thread reminds me of this children's book...
51yxccUxpnL.jpg

It seems like there was some sort of "Apple Derangement Syndrome" that developed with the introduction of the Apple Watch and continues on today. Symptoms: (a) feeling that a product is a failure because it isn't personally appealing enough to cause them to run out and buy it. (b) a feeling of doom created by purchasing a product that other people aren't falling over themselves to buy (c) a sense that a product will be discontinued because it doesn't sell in quantities surpassing all other Apple products.

The OP isn't the first to worry about the 12.9 Pro being discontinued. But it is puzzling. The 12.9 Pro sold more units in the final quarter of 2015 than the Surface Pro. Reviews have been overwhelmingly positive but more importantly, anecdotal reports from actual customers show an even greater reception.

The 12.9 Pro is not a niche product. The user experience just gets better and better as apps are improved to take advantage of the new form-factor. I'm not alone in having high hopes and expectations that during the WWDC this June that "The Empire Strike Backs" with some new stuff that will make the 12.9 Pro even more appealing.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
You're overthinking this.

Apple adds products to its lineup in a very careful and thoughtful way (some would say too slowly). I'm sure they considered offering a larger iPad for a long time, making sure it made sense to release one due to customer demand. Similarly, they usually do not discontinue products abruptly. The 12.9 will be around for a long while because as Tim Cook said in a recent keynote, it could replace a PC. And while it may not be the right device for everybody, it was never meant to be. That's why Apple offers different sizes. That said, my observation here and elsewhere is that the people who own the 12.9 love it.

I don't think it will be prematurely discontinued, but will they actively continue to enhance iOS to take advantage of the bigger screen is something I wonder.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I don't think it will be prematurely discontinued, but will they actively continue to enhance iOS to take advantage of the bigger screen is something I wonder.

I think Apple will do that, but will developers? I guess it will depend on what app they are making and how popular it is. There needs to be a critical mass of 12.9 iPad Pro devices out in the wild to motivate developers to use its full potential. I'm guessing that will be the case.

marpixct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
This thread reminds me of this children's book...
View attachment 629896

It seems like there was some sort of "Apple Derangement Syndrome" that developed with the introduction of the Apple Watch and continues on today. Symptoms: (a) feeling that a product is a failure because it isn't personally appealing enough to cause them to run out and buy it. (b) a feeling of doom created by purchasing a product that other people aren't falling over themselves to buy (c) a sense that a product will be discontinued because it doesn't sell in quantities surpassing all other Apple products.

The OP isn't the first to worry about the 12.9 Pro being discontinued. But it is puzzling. The 12.9 Pro sold more units in the final quarter of 2015 than the Surface Pro. Reviews have been overwhelmingly positive but more importantly, anecdotal reports from actual customers show an even greater reception.

The 12.9 Pro is not a niche product. The user experience just gets better and better as apps are improved to take advantage of the new form-factor. I'm not alone in having high hopes and expectations that during the WWDC this June that "The Empire Strike Backs" with some new stuff that will make the 12.9 Pro even more appealing.

Maybe you misunderstood me.
I love my iPad Pro 12.9 ", I reflected only on the fact that maybe the company coule consider it a niche product dismissing progressively its developing process. The same goes for developers.
Like you I am also convinced that the WWDC will bring big news for this device.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I love my iPad Pro 12.9 ", I reflected only on the fact that maybe the company coule consider it a niche product dismissing progressively its developing process. The same goes for developers.
Maybe I did misunderstand you. I read, "Almost as to indicate a future elimination from the market" and saw "elimination" as "discontinued" not as "niche".

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I think 12.9 is going to be like the plus iPhone, a sleeper hit.

Price needs to come down from the orbit though, even if not officially, in resell. and refurb when gen 2 drops,

with SKB, Pencil, 29w charger+USBC to USBA, and base 32 wifi, looking at at least $1160 by my rough calculations

That's a tough financial pill to swallow

Reactions: MisterMillz

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I think that the 12.9" model is something of a niche product, but that doesn't mean that it won't continue to be supported. Niche products are made because there's a market that's worth satisfying, even if it's not the mainstream masses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.