Apple is too US-English centered

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by elmimmo, May 21, 2003.

1. elmimmo macrumors 6502

What I would really like Apple to push for 10.3 is to, at least, try to push its international strategies and decentralize the OS and its gadgets so specifically around the US.

I guess US natives do not realize how lots of features are unavailable to non-US and non-English speaking users.

Here is a list of the things that come to my mind:

1) Sherlock channels are most aimed at US citizens: eBay only looks in products available to US, while there are many many eBays out there which can be used with the same login/password (.co.uk, .de, .it, .fr, es.ebay.com...); flights are also limited to US customers; English-only dictionary; leaving aside the channels that simply do not appear in international OSs, like news, stock, yellow pages, movies... because of their little use. Most of this channels' info is provided to Apple through third parties, and there are such specialized parties retrieving local info in many other countries. Why does Apple Spain, for instance, do not have any sort of strategy to make an agreement with the Spanish Yellow Pages?

2) iPhoto and its online professional printing (and punctual offers of free prints like when joining .mac) and photo book authoring.

3) Inkwell and its poor non-English recognition of hand writing because it only comes with an English dictionary for common gestures. You can of course train it, but it is much more exhausting for any non-English speaking person, and thus rarely used from a beginning.

4) Lack of non-English text-to-speak, whereas OS 9 had some other languages (well, at least mexican Spanish, that while not quite like Spaniard, it was better than what we have now, nothing).

5) Lack of non-English speech recognition.

6) Disrepect of OS language preference in permanent menues (such as the Apple) when using an English-only application, such as Safari.

8) International iTunes Music Store. (While I do know Apple is working on that, the negotiations with non-US firms seems to have began after the iTMS launched, while negotiations with US firms probably started quite before than three months ago).

10) Uncomplete localizations of Applications's names bundled with the OS. Most notable is the Utilities folder (launching "Apple System Profiler" will open up an application, the application menu of which will read, in an Spanish OS, "Perfil del Sistema Apple"; if Netinfo manager icon appears as "Gestor de NetInfo", why does Apple System profiler stay in English?)

9) Lack of non-English terminal commands. (Jus kidding!)

2. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Re: Apple is too US-English centered

I see these sort of glaring holes in the presentation of software and just rub my hands together - what an opportunity for a translator.

3. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Actually i think the features should be aviable world-wide. Not just to the us people. The problems with non - english speaking, is , i would say, quiet little. a computer has, at least for me, to be in english, even if i perfectly know german and french, ( and of course luxembourgish ) ...

4. backspinner macrumors 6502a

5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Re: Apple is too US-English centered

Strange .. I can get movie listings for my city (not Tokyo) through Sherlock. I got flight listings as well. Haven't tried eBay, though. And switching the OS into Japanese is great so far, haven't noticed any problems language-wise. Maybe Japanese is different?

6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Apple gives US users extra features because the market is bigger and they can make more money from them. Overseas however it is different and some features may not be worth the transition when looking at how small apples marketshare is.

However this can be attributed to Apples initial US centricity, if they stop being US centric then maybe more people would buy their products overseas...since they don't, only the savvy or "educated" buy them.

Maybe...

7. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

this just isnt apple you know windows has the same problem the only operating system that seems to be mulit lingo based is linux now is this because

1 apple and MS ARE PROFIT MAKING companys

2 the linux distros are free

3 because free based os has fewer restrictions and more people working on the projects covering more places on the globe

4 this is why most americans dont understand why the world has a problme with them NO OFFENCE HERE INTENED..

it simply a fact that if your corp your going to sell all the stuff to your biggest market personly i dont think america is the bigest market its just that its were apple comes from so they support there home enviroment same gose with morst other countires in the world if you come from the uk you try and support uk companys cant think of many uk computer companys but hell dosnt matter because all uk companys are more or less owend by over seas firms...

as the same gose for australia as well

guess what i am saying is that i agree with the idea that having mulit lagnage support could be better and yes they could do it quite easily but this means spending lots more cash ...

the english laguange only make sup 5% i think of the speaking world . i think french has more going for it than english..

any hows thats my life story finished

Sabenth

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

es una lastima que no tengas la oportunidad para usar su idioma natal en su computadora. es una lastima.

9. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Yea and Toyota makes it's cars too damn small with those little itty bitty 13" rims and those back seats that can only fit 5' people?

That's the way it works. If you sell domestically, the majority of your product will reflect it.

10. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

umm not really. allow me to digress for a moment. Tue toyota makes plenty of small economy sized cars such as their hybrids, the echo and the prius, but they make plenty of full size suvs, and sedans. Trust me, the camry (a sedan) is not small in the backseat and my dad is pretty tall and he still fits comfortably in there.

I think when people make rash generalizations like, "all toyota cars are small", they often miss the bigger picture, a picture essential to the full understanding of a statement.

Aw hell its just my $0.02

11. elmimmo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, right. That is precisely the Apple philosophy, is it? To adapt people to computers instead of adapting computers to people. Well, I do not agree. Tell my 60 year-old mother to start learning English in order to write an e-mail or use her digital camera. No thanks

Still, of course, I would prefer having things in English than not having them at all, which is part of the problem in some of the items in my list.
    I did not know that... Well then probably Japan's Apple market is bigger than any of the European countries alone (that I do not know, I am just guessing), and that would be why Apple Japan also had some sort of local services. Still I am sure some of the other issues in my list also apply to you.
    I do understand that and put up with that. I consider some of the issues as minor problems, then, since for example Apple has already manifested intention to do an international iTMS.

But some other issues are not quite acceptable. OS9 had Spanish text-to-speak, why not just use it in X? iPhoto was released... when? I cannot remember but surely it must be like 2 years ago and still no sign of Apple pretending to support professional printing at medium term where I live (Spain, if someone did not guess it). Etc.

I understand that Apple tries to make profit and puts its money where it thinks will generate more. But still, I do think there are features that either where introduced quite long ago, for the rest of us to begin enjoying them, or that simply are dead cheap to implement (the same that Apple introduced non-English spell checking in 10.2 because there are zillions of free dictionaries around, non-English gesture dictionaries for Inkwell surely would not be that expensive to build).
    While I might indeed have some serious problems with the way the US society relates to the rest of the world in certain specific situations, that is in no way a general feeling in me and has nothing to do with the way Apple markets its products outside of its native country.

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Two things.

1) One huge "upset" to us Europeans, is the fact that Steve has promised Sherlock Channels and iPhoto print service to France when I was there attending his Keynote last September in Paris. Once he's back in the US, he probably forgot about it... :(

2) Maybe Apple- Europe should make a fist and start asking Cupertino some questions. It's definitaly their problem if Apple's marketshare decline in a specific country. So maybe Apple-NL could start whining about dutch Sherlock Flight channels or so :confused:

13. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

I should have put it like this.....

If you buy a software program what is usualy the defualt langague

US-ENGLISH. if for instance you live in france shouldnt the defualt language be French meaning french everything from the reading matrial though to dictionary ....

I might be wrong here on this footing . corect me if i am wrong only been to paris twice and on both ocastions ive spoken mostly english mixed with a few french well known words.. bojiour......

Guess i am trying to say that if you buy your product in france it should be french if you buy it in germany it should be german etc etc not US- ENGLISH and iam not putting US-ENGLISH down i mean its the americans that gave us the MAC and Bless em Windows.....

Sabenth

Sabenth