Apple iSight is a design rip-off!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sigamy, Aug 31, 2003.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

2. StarmanDeluxe macrumors member

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it's a metal tube. on a stand. pretty basic, it's true to Apple's aesthetic and i think they designed it from the ground up, no matter what products looked like it in the past (and btw, if Apple were going to rip off a design, don't you think it would be better than a very old desk microphone?)

In fact, that the base is so huge on the mic, shows that the similar appearance of the main apparatus is merely coincidental.

pnw

4. bwawn macrumors member

Oh dear god. They ripped off an ancient microphone design for their modern camera. Why, Apple? Why?

Sorry dude, but these are two different products with two different purposes. If the eBay product you linked to was a camera, then I'd suspect Apple of borrowing a design, but as-is, it's not like Apple can just take any design they want, cram a video camera inside, and market it. There's more to it than that.

5. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

well, I can see your point, but is it that whatever is cylinder in shape, the iSight ripped it off? No.

Besides, it's a mic not a camera. If it was a camera, then I'd be more concerned.

edit: damn, got out typed by mere seconds....

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

huh. i've never seen a cylindrical mic before.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think sigamy is right. I'm packing up my iSight and returning it to Apple right now! ;)

8. sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

Damn, I forgot that scarcasm doesn't render well in Safair ;)

Anyway, I was joking. I love Apple and their products. Just saw this mic and it immediately made me think of the iSight. I think any apple fan would have immediately thought of the iSight too, and that at least says something about the similaries.

And what does it matter that one is a camera and one is a mic? Anything can inspire anything. Remember all the products that borrowed the original iMac's colors and plastics? Phones, George Forman grills, etc. Were they rip-offs?

I'm going to look for a vintage typewriter in the style of the Microsoft natural keyboard...watch the M$ flames roll!

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A few years ago, I borrowed a 1940s Royal typewriter from a senior citizen and took it to show a class of 5th graders. The kids were very interested when I explained that it had a carriage that moved back and forth (hence "carriage return"). I showed them how the word "TYPEWRITER" could be typed entirely on the top row, which was designed that way to help the typewriter salesmen - because they weren't very good at typing! As I walked back to my car, another teacher saw what I was carrying and asked me what it was. She had never seen a real typewriter in person before!

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Type...writer? *scratches head* :p

As far as the iSight's design, come on, just how many possible shapes could a small video camera have? Just about any web cam I've seen has been either, round, oval, or the basic shape of the iSight. When you fit a round camera lense into a design and try to make it clean and small, it's logical what kind of design it will end up being.

11. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I have seen mics like that before. Not in person but on shows taking place in like the 50s. Usually common podium/radio DJ mics I believe.

12. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Oh my god :eek: :eek: :eek:

The iSight looks like an old microphone.

The iMac looks like a lamp.

The eMac looks like a computer monitor.

The PowerMac G5 looks like a metal box.

The Apple Keyboard looks like a keyboard.

The Apple mouse looks like... OK, a one button mouse that is the button is unique.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Run!

It is attacking you!

[​IMG]

Yes. apple always steals designs!

:rolleyes:

15. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

dude, yeah it looks similar but so do lots of things. it also looks like a toilet paper tube, and a flashlight, and miniature can of pringles. you can't accuse someone of ripping off a CYLINDER for chrissakes. it's one of our basic geometric shapes.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The old iMac mouse looked like a hockey puck. ;-)

17. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Yeah, and unfortunately if I can't find my pro mouse I may have to bring it to school... as a backup to my wireless setup, in case batteries die.

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

also, as he/she stated about 7 posts into the thread... it was said as a joke.

but lots of people tend not to read, just to jump down peoples' throats.

posted by sigamy

19. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

An observation of forum trends -

a) If people reply in agreement w/ thread starter, he will jump in and add fuel to the flame by elaborating his thoughts on how bad a product is, or in this case, how lame apple is.

2) But if people reply in disagreement w/ the thread starter, he'll wait to see if there are any fellow supporters. If not, he'll act like he didn't read half of the posts and nonchalantly post an one liner saying he was just joking, follow by a bunch of ass kissing remarks about the company he just dissed... Hmmm.... interesting...

20. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

21. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

didn't Steve Jobs once say (along time ago) that good geniuses imitate and great geniuses steal? (or something to that effect) ;) :p :D

22. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Good artists copy, great artists steal. - Picasso

23. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i was kind of kidding as well. *note: for all those reading my future posts, if it sounds like i'm being a d!ck, i'm not. it can be hard to detect sarcasm in plain text. apologies.

24. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

When I was doing design in school, we sometimes studied basic shapes to help think of designs. A lot of designs, especially print, are based on very basic shapes (circles, squares, etc.) The iSight & G5 have that retro 1950's look, which I like a lot (the iSight kind of reminded me of a .50cal machine gun barrell.)

25. JayBee macrumors member

I always thought it was

"Talent copies. Genius steals."