Apple Issues Statement on Foxconn Factory Explosion, Investigation in Progress

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 20, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All Things Digital has obtained a statement from Apple on the explosion at manufacturing partner Foxconn's facilities in Chengdu, China where the iPad 2 is manufactured. In the statement, Apple expresses sympathy to those affected by the event and notes that it is working with Foxconn to address the cause of the explosion.
    Authorities in Chengdu have confirmed that two people were killed in the blast, with at least sixteen other injured. According to reports, Foxconn chairman Terry Gou is flying to Chengdu today, presumably to personally view the damage and oversee the company's efforts to determine the cause and aid those affected by the blast.

Article Link: Apple Issues Statement on Foxconn Factory Explosion, Investigation in Progress

2. macrumors 6502

the last thing we need to worry about right now is production delays, ipads are replaceable, lives are not

3. macrumors G4

A quick response from Apple.

4. macrumors 601

Eddyisgreat

You're right. Infact, Apple shouldn't have said anything at all. :rolleyes:

5. macrumors member

Sorry to be a bit pedantic here but:

"and notes that it is working with Foxconn to address the cause of the explosion."

makes it sound like they know what the cause is and they're working to do something about it. The quote by Apple is more clear:

"We are working closely with Foxconn to understand what caused this terrible event."

A very unfortunate event indeed, esp given the history of the company.

6. macrumors member

Respect

I definitely respect Apple for their quick response. Their long term plan however, we'll have to wait and see...

7. macrumors 68000

Is Foxconn the only company manufacturing the iPads?...or do they do 90% of the production? Anyone have any knowledge?

Of course lives are more important than products...however...would be interesting to understand POSSIBLY how this will affect the iPad's availability.

8. macrumors regular

jusacruiser

Yes, our hearts go out to those and their families who have been impacted by this cowardly act. Unfortunately, there are those who want to tear down successful free market capitalism.

9. macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

I'm glad to hear Apple's response to this tragic event. As unfortunate as this is, there are those who will be more concerned with Apple's production numbers, specifically, stockholders and fanboi's. :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 6502a

ciTiger

Let's see how this pans out..

11. macrumors G5

Consultant

Hope they can make some safety improvement.

But considering Foxconn employees over 1 million people, this kind of accident rate is actually quite low in terms of statistics.

12. macrumors 68030

Lesser Evets

The graphic seems inappropriately heavenly.

13. macrumors member

I just lol'd, and that doesn't happen very often.

I must be a sick man.

14. macrumors member

[​IMG]

People who work there are so happy!

15. macrumors regular

And so diverse!

16. macrumors 604

gkarris

And of course, a lot of posts with "rolleyes"... :eek:

17. macrumors member

I like the token honkey....is he just a huge Twilight fan or does the sun never shine in China?

18. macrumors 6502

So, since apple and disney are now best of friends. Are the three people to the right actually a "hidden Mickey"?

19. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Apple says the same thing all the time.. We are deeply saddened... bla bla. As for this Terry Gou, and Apple, they probably don't care. These chinese workers are treated like slaves.... well they do care... about the money.

Its sad to lose a loved one. And I feel sorry for these injured people, and the families that lost a member today.

But I doubt Apple or Terry care. They care about MONEY!

20. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

No, he just works indoors, 16h a day, 7 days a week, making us our little shiny playthings, for $1 and hour. (Thanks, mate!)

21. macrumors 6502a

louis Fashion

Sunshine Superman

Dude. Remember film? As in used to take pictures with a camera on film?

Well it is said, you could develop film in China just by unrolling the film canister and waving it out the window. In short, no, not much sunshine in China.

22. macrumors 6502

I bet it's the same Chinese mafia who's been sending people to all the Apple stores to snatch up all the iPads to sell in the gray market.

23. macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

They were clearly making the new iBomb and they were testing it. Apple will sell it to the US Military. Here is a screenshot for it.
    [​IMG]
    (Black at first. White eight months later.)

But seriously now. It is sad that this happened, but I don't see why Apple even commented about this. They are just a customer. It would be like if a cashier got shot at my local Wal-Mart and people got upset I didn't say anything because I shop there everyday.

24. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Foxconn is a supplier and the disruption could materially affect Apple's bottom line, so they have a duty to inform shareholders.

25. macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Hmm... I see now. So Apple probably told this statement to their stockholders and of course they all went on the internet and posted what Apple said? I see now.