Apple Issuing Refunds for Final Cut Pro X Upon Request

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 28, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While Apple may be working to quickly add new and restored features to Final Cut Pro X, EOSHD reports (via The Next Web) that Apple has begun issuing refunds to at least some customers complaining through the company's customer service channels.
    A thread in Apple's discussion forums reveals a number of other users who have successfully received refunds for their Final Cut Pro X purchases, although some customers have had to make several requests as part of their conversations with Apple support staff before being granted refunds.

[​IMG]

Apple does not have a blanket return and refund policy for App Store applications, although the company has reportedly been required by law to offer one in Taiwan. Apple does offer refunds on a case-by-case basis, however, with customers having reported success gaining refunds for accidental purchases and other extenuating circumstances.

Article Link: Apple Issuing Refunds for Final Cut Pro X Upon Request

2. macrumors 601

Schtumple

Be nice if they offered a demo period like they did with Aperture to be honest...

3. macrumors 6502

geez, what happened with this program?
    it's good that they're at least offering refunds, i guess

4. Gen
    macrumors 6502a

Gen

So after they get the refund do they have to delete the app from their computer? ...

5. macrumors regular

Demo period sounds fair.

6. macrumors 6502

Demos and trials seem to be where some of Apple's software might be headed at this rate. I'm impressed that Apple's refunding this software though

7. macrumors newbie

Good on Apple. However, I'm sure they expected an angry backlash after removing so many professional features. It's clear that Apple feel that the increase in sales from consumer filmmaker enthusiasts will outweight the loss in sales from professionals.

8. macrumors regular

Yeah or did apple build a remote un-install feature in this one :p

9. macrumors demi-god

DirtySocks85

I had this happen last year when I bought a $14.99 iPhone app as part of my wife's birthday present, and it didn't measure up to the promised description (or rather I'd say the product description was VERY misleading). I contacted Apple through the customer support section of iTunes and they issued a refund.

10. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

I was wondering that too.. Because if you get a refund from an App Store for iOS you still get to keep the application.. I think Apple should be able to cancel the license on that account unless repurchased, because people will be scamming that all day.

11. macrumors 6502

What, you think they should be able to continue using it? I'd imagine Apple can disable your license somehow.

12. macrumors member

Wow you know some heads rolled over this one.

Can you say Job Opening?

13. macrumors regular

Maybe they should change the name to "Beta Cut pro"

14. macrumors demi-god

DirtySocks85

If it works anything like refunds on iOS apps (based on my limited personal experience), then it appears to be on the honor system (and future updates of the app won't show up in the App Store).

15. macrumors 68000

rorschach

Not really news.

Apple gives refunds for apps all the time, not just for FCPX. It is not policy, and you probably can't do it more than once or twice, but lots of people email Apple and get a refund as a "one time exception."

It's similar to them letting you re-download your iTunes music purchases. It's not policy, but they will let you do it if you ask.

16. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Just like mobile me, I can see it now in a future keynote...
    Steve: "Final Cut Pro X was not our finest hour."

17. macrumors regular

hmmm..

I wonder if Apple is heading downhill with their software now?

18. macrumors member

It seems FCPX is to FCP7 what Quicktime X is to Quicktime 7 :eek:

Glad I'm still using FCS2 to be honest. I'll wait a while before making any more judgement

19. macrumors 65816

I defiantly think a Demo of the software would have been nice. Especially because it was missing so many features. What goof by Apple.

20. macrumors 68000

So they should fire the father of digital video editing - and replace him with whom, exactly? That would be like NASA firing Wernher von Braun.

21. macrumors 6502a

Yup, and also what iMovie 08 and on is to iMovie 06. :(

I bet Apple will see a spike in people buying FCPX and asking for a refund, now that it's getting out that they're willing to give refunds. A lot of people will try to get it for free that way. If Apple is smart, they'll know what that spike means and stop giving refunds.

22. macrumors newbie

And Steve Jobs asked, "Can somebody tell me what Final Cut Pro X is supposed to do?"

23. macrumors 6502

Because a complete re-write of a program that took the 10 prior years to build had a bad 1.0 release after its first week on the market? I think you're reading FAR too much into this... After a year or so Apple will have either added back features and won over much of their previous user base or FCPX will be abandoned by pros and adopted by pro-ams everywhere. FCPX is going to be a success, it's just a question of which market it wins over, even both if they quickly play their cards right.

24. macrumors 6502a

Yes.

25. macrumors 65816

notabadname

Agree on the Demo option. It seems to be such a no-brainer for this type of software. I just finished, and bought my demo of HDR Efx Pro. I would not have tried or bought the software otherwise without a demo. It starts to be too expensive to risk a no-refund option.

I am impressed that they are offering a refund, especially knowing that news of the refund will (and has) spread like an Arizona fire.