Apple: It Just Works...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Verto, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I had a bit of a surprise today!

This morning my D-Link Wireless Router started giving me trouble: first, I got no internet connection whatsoever. After switching AirPort network from "Home" to "linksys", it picked up, albeit at a weaker signal. Eventually this stopped working too. So I decide to go to Best Buy and just buy a new router, as this one was 4 or 5 years old. I eventually settled on a Netgear router, despite hearing some criticism about them, featuring a nice design with seven built-in antennas - in other words, nothing to protrude and get broken.

So I go home, and prepare to set it up. The first thing I do is unplug the D-Link router completely, and set it aside. As I am looking through the Netgear paperwork, etc, I hear a familiar sound: new messages in Mail. At first, out of habit, I went to read them. Then I noticed that my router was sitting, dead, on my floor. I thought that maybe these had been retrieved earlier, when I still had a connection, so I decide to open up Firefox. It works! I checked to make sure that somehow I had not overlooked something like my DSL modem having a wireless router built in...I knew this was not the case, but I was just being thorough. Eventually I decided to just go ahead and install my Netgear router. So I unplug the DSL modem. Then, just for kicks, I try to access another website. It works.

Apparently, I had been accessing someone else's open network, one also named Home. I even appear to have unintentionally accessed THEIR router controls, while working on mine: I noticed this earlier when my D-Link was still plugged in - the router page showed up as being for a DI-5XX, whereas mine was a 624. At first I put this off as not meaning anything, and perhaps it didn't. But it worked even with my router unplugged - although maybe that's how it is supposed to be. Eventually I had to shut off AirPort so I could access the Netgear Router page, and after a bit of frustration I am now posting.

I did learn a lesson: I changed my router access password, and put up a password for the network with WPA-PSK. I'm sure this isn't a hardcore protection, but it should keep accidents like mine from happening.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

LOL. That's why my Wifi's SSID is unique (actually the MAC address of the router). That way I don't get confused with my two neighbors that both have open "linksys" networks.

Even then I recently thought something was wrong with iTunes 5 when I couldn't see my library from my iBook. Turned out that it had picked my neighbor's network since it forgot my WEP key. :eek:

B

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Our power went out recently...no problem, I'll just access my neighbors 'linksys' wifi. This was when Katrina was coming inland towards us so it allowed me to keep an eye on her.

Also, in class the other night, I accessed their wifi (the only on on campus). A lady in class commented she couldn't find something from a particular web site. No prob, got on the site, downloaded the pdf she was talking about, set myself up on their wifi printer, and printed a copy for her.

Apples just work...

4. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I personally leave my network, because I want to access free internet just like everyone else. I would rather have everyone open it up instead of locking themd own. That doens't mean I don't protect, I set it so Internet sharing is the only thing that doesn't need a password. It also makes alot easier when my friends come over with their laptops.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Last time we had house guests with laptops, they just used our neighbor's open AP.

It's not like there's a shortage of open access points, is there?

B

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

As soon as I read this, it tipped me off to what the rest of your story was going to be :)

From where I sit right now, other than my own network, I can see two of my neighbor's. One is protected, one isn't.

Actually my home network is pretty wacked. I have an Airport Express serving up "jaynet", WEP enabled and not broadcasting SSID, while downstairs I have an older router serving up "tenyaj" which is a decoy network that is publicly visible but goes nowhere. :)

7. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

That is so crude yet fun to do to unexpected people :D

BTW, is there any way to change the wallpaper on router when you enter its settings. You know, if any one wants to open configure it, I would like have a background saying F*** Off :p

8. baummer macrumors 6502a

That's nice of you to steal their internet connection that they pay for.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So many times i tried to close off my AP but everytime i add WEP i loose my connection. I dont bother with it anymore so i keep file sharing off for the time being.

More Times!

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm going to be setting up a wireless network soon with High Speed Internet. I have a G5 iMac with AirPort Built in, and just bought a Airport Express. For now I'm only going to be using it on one computer, but a second one will be coming soon. I want to set up a wireless network that has strict security so my neighbors can't pick it up. I'm not really sure how to do this, or what the most effecitve method is. Can anybody give me a few tips?

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah, especially since mine is a closed network.

But, hey, it was a crisis situation! The eye of Hurricane Katrina was coming right over us. And I was keeping up with what was going on with her. My wife was a little nervous, so with a little meteorological surveying, inside and outside, I let her know when it was ok to go to bed.

It's not something I do regularly.

12. Verto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Verto

Your router setup should include steps regarding adding encryption to it, ie requiring a password to access it. I'm not qualified to say anything beyond that.

13. baummer macrumors 6502a

Well that's understandable then. As a sign of good faith, I'd give your neighbor $5 or $10 and say thanks for letting me use it during an emergency situation. That way you weren't stealing so much as you were borrowing.

14. Verto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Verto

Oh yeah, white people BORROW a network, and black people LOOT them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: