Apple iTune DRM system??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by yseric, Jul 11, 2003.

1. yseric macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2003
    Does anyone of you here know that how Apple set up their DRM systems for itunes?? I'm just very curious about how they can allow only authorized computers to play the songs after they've been sold. Do you guys know what software or hardware do they use?? I heard that apple writes their own DRM software, is it true?? Still, how does the whole process (buying song, downloading the song, paying the fees, getting license) work?? humm, this is very interesting....anyone's comments are greatly appreciated, thank you so much!!! =)))
  2. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Re: Apple iTune DRM system??

the DRM is pretty loose. i believe if you burn them onto a CD (as MP3 or AAC) and then copy them back you can probably lose it. but certainly it doesn't stick when you burn audio CDs. and i don't think it's too troublesome.
  3. yseric thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2003
    Thank you for your info guys..

vniow, thanks for the link. actually, I've already read that article.

But my real question is not how the DRM works from a user's perspective. I want to know things like wheterh they encrypt the songs to be DRM compliant? Also, how does the DRM system work in the server side. etc.

Again, thank you so much for all your help :)
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
  5. yseric thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2003
    haha, Abstract, I wish I were a hacker, I never know how to hack. anyways, I'm writing a technical research paper for one of my technical writing classes, and I need a little big deeper understand of this DRM thing. Thanks for replying Abstract