Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iWatch is currently being tested by professional athletes from the MLB, NHL, and NBA to measure its fitness capabilities in rigorous training environments, reports 9to5Mac, citing a source with knowledge of the testing. Apple has reportedly invited several athletes, like LA Lakers player Kobe Bryant, to its Cupertino campus to discuss the iWatch.
Apple is said to be working with Los Angeles Lakers basketball player Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Kings right winger Dustin Brown, and a few other star athletes, including a player from the Boston Red Sox, on the testing project. The athletes are said to have signed non-disclosure-agreements regarding the existence of the upcoming Apple wearable device.
Kobe Bryant was seen on the Apple campus back in May and is said to have met with Apple's chief designer Jony Ive, who has a leading role developing the iWatch. The athletes are likely testing out the multitude of health and fitness sensors built into the device, said to measure everything from sleep quality to heart rate to provide an overall picture of health.

kobeatapple.jpg
Kobe Bryant at the Apple campus in May, image via 9to5Mac​
The source also reiterates that Apple's iWatch will be "positioned as a fashion accessory," which is in line with previous reports from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo has predicted that Apple will release the iWatch at multiple price points and in a variety of materials, competing with low and high-end watches alike. At the higher end, the iWatch could retail for thousands of dollars.

Both former Yves. St. Laurent CEO Paul Deneve, who serves as a vice president, and Angela Ahrendts, in charge of retail stores, are said to be involved in marketing and strategies for selling fashion products at Apple locations.

According to recent reports from reputable news outlets, the iWatch will come in at least two sizes, with one device having a screen size of 2.5 inches. The design is said to feature a slightly rectangular face that protrudes slightly from a band to create an arch shape around the wrist. The iWatch, which may launch at an October event, is also said to include a sapphire crystal display, a touch interface, integration with existing iOS devices, and wireless charging capabilities.

Article Link: Apple Recruiting Pro Athletes to Test iWatch's Fitness Capabilities

mrxak

macrumors 68000
It's a good marketing strategy, if nothing else. Get a whole lot of top athletes wearing the iWatch on day one, and people are going to take notice.

And hey, if Apple does want to market this thing for fitness, it doesn't hurt to get feedback from people who are very fit and know what they want from something like this.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
It's a good marketing strategy, if nothing else. Get a whole lot of top athletes wearing the iWatch on day one, and people are going to take notice.

And hey, if Apple does want to market this thing for fitness, it doesn't hurt to get feedback from people who are very fit and know what they want from something like this.

I call this the Beats strategy.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I never understood people who would buy something because they saw a celebrity or athlete using it.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
If true, this adds "perceived credibility" to the product, something missing from other launches. They may all work, but this adds a lil extra.

But I am a shameless fan of the iwatch concept so what do I know. :D

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What if the iWatch is just a line of nice watches with sensors built in? No screen. No special features. Just a traditional mechanical watch with some sensors and bluetooth le. Solves the battery issue much easier.

People could be wearing them in public now with no one the wiser.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I call this the Beats strategy.

It's also a very Nike thing to do, just like when they rolled out the Fuelband. You couldn't see a Nike athlete without them wearing one. I wouldn't be surprised though that 9to5mac saw this one pic of Kobe and turned that into this story though.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
"Apple is not cool enough... maybe if some cool people use our stuff more people will buy."

-Tim

You are misappropriating this quote. It's from Steve Jobs. It's how he threaded the needle on the iPod phenom. You think Apple donated all those iPods for use in guest bags for Oscar, Emmy and Grammy award attendees just to be friendly? ;)

---

On topic -- if Apple can make fitness band with all the rumored features AND make it look like a nice thin fashion watch it going to shock the world. That's a very tough sonata to play. I have high hopes, but I think we are a few generations off before it can fully mature into the watch of rumor maker's dreams.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
What if the iWatch is just a line of nice watches with sensors built in? No screen. No special features. Just a traditional mechanical watch with some sensors and bluetooth le. Solves the battery issue much easier.

People could be wearing them in public now with no one the wiser.

The rumor is a 2.5" touch screen though.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Do I remember correctly that both Swatch and Rolex gave Apple the finger as partners in the project?

If true, both companies are in for a rude awakening.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Makes sense. If you want to release a watch that tracks health, why not put it on the top athletes? Celebrity status aside, they would be able to put the sensors through its paces better than an Apple engineer, sitting at a desk, or losing the dang thing at a bar...

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
kobe is on the verge of retiring, with his injury there isn't much testing he could or should be doing if he wants to have a chance of still being relevant in the upcoming season. they should consult with someone else

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Do I remember correctly that both Swatch and Rolex gave Apple the finger as partners in the project?

If true, both companies are in for a rude awakening.

I know Swatch did. Not sure about Rolex. I don't think a watch from Apple is going to do anything to Rolex but it could ding Swatch's low end lines.

JohnsonK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2014
Please stop repeating "sligthly rectangular".

And 2.5"? Is this going to be an iwatch or an ibracelet?

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
am i the only one who thinks wearable tech is just plain stupid?
i wish apple would put more effort into iTunes....
and apple TV
and freakin' mass deletion of photos from the damn photo stream!!! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.