Apple Job Listing for Plastics Design Engineer Hints at Innovative Designs for Future Products

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today posted a new job listing for a Manufacturing Design Engineer with a focus on Advanced Plastic Tooling and Process. According to the job description, Apple is looking to expand and improve its current plastics division.
    Though Apple has focused heavily on aluminum for the iPad, the iPhone, and the MacBook line for the past few years, the Cupertino-based company has continued to prominently use plastics in such products as the Apple TV, the AirPort Extreme, keyboards, and other accessories.

Recent rumors have suggested that Apple is working on a low cost iPhone that will be constructed primarily of plastic. The iPhone is said to be a hybrid of the iPhone 5 and the iPod touch, with a plastic enclosure.

A new hire specializing in plastics is unlikely to be involved in the design of the low cost iPhone, given that it is rumored to be released later this year, but the open position does support reports that Apple is focusing on novel uses of plastics for upcoming products.

Article Link: Apple Job Listing for Plastics Design Engineer Hints at Innovative Designs for Future Products

2. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

China + Plastic = iPhone Mini?

Or, since TELEVISIONS tend to have lots of plastic in them ;)

3. macrumors 68040

<insert smarmy comment about how Apple would never use Plastic as it's cheap>

:rolleyes:

I still think that whilst the iPhone 5 is a sexy phone, it'd be nicer with the glossy plastic back of the 3/3s. Nothing wrong with plastic.

4. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Plastic <3

5. macrumors 6502

One step forward, two steps back...

6. macrumors G5

jav6454

Plastic? They've learned....

[​IMG]

7. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I dunno folks... I look at my 4S and marvel at the precision machine engineering that went into the thing.

Plastic meh. Give me rubber... something that bounces on concrete. :(

8. macrumors regular

Mmmmm.... I loved the form factor of the 3G/3GS. So comfortable. Lots of nostalgia looking at that old design. :)

9. macrumors 6502a

10. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

+1 Rubber

11. macrumors 604

But Apple would NEVER (again) use cheap, crappy plastic, would they? This would never have happened (even tho it did with the 3GS) if Jobs was still around. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I think that's what made the iPhone 4 design so great. It was a big step up in terms of metals and glass over the plastic used in the 3G and 3GS. I realize some wireless products need certain plastics to propagate signals but why step backwards if this is true?

13. macrumors 604

Like a case built in :)

14. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Or the guy that works on the Magic Mouse just quit and they're replacing him.

I'm sorry, but I hate the "a job posting means a new direction for Apple products" stories.

15. macrumors 6502

Didn't know Aluminium was magnetic...

*le trollface

16. macrumors 6502a

Plastic from 3G/3GS is much better quality than Galaxy S3 back plactic. Just sayin'.
    I cringed every time I pulled off the GS3 back cover. It sounded cheap and felt cheap.

17. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

hopefully they fired that guy. Whoever designed that mouse deserves to be fired. If you want a proper slim mouse the arc touch mouse was a way better design and wasn't a carpal tunnel magnet. The arc touch is very comfortable to hold. Much more so than it looks.

[​IMG]

18. macrumors 604

gkarris

These phones make for cheap unlocked phones directly from Apple, as it is illegal for users to unlock smartphones in the US. $299 to start?

People here are looking forward to AT&T unlocking their iPhones when their contract is up - little do they know the carrier is no longer obligated to do so...

19. macrumors 6502a

MasterHowl

I don't think you can beat the aluminium + glass combo

20. macrumors Core

Dagless

Innovative plastic designs?
    Well I guess you had to put something there now that "magical" is used up.

21. macrumors newbie

Blackwell

Carbon Fiber

22. macrumors 68020

N-no t-thanks!

23. macrumors member

stainless steel/glass :D

24. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Some plastics like Teflon, Polyamide 6.6 or Polycarbonate are very robust. In some cases more robust than aluminum.

Future WLAN standards need up to 8 antennas (802.11ac, up to ≈ 7 GBit/s), or use very high frequencies (802.11ad, 60 GHz). That means Apple needs more antennas in iDevices and a material which does not block the 5 GHz or 60 GHz frequencies.

25. macrumors 6502a

Presenting the Blue Dalmation and Flower Power iPhone.