Apple junk mighty mouse question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Willy S, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Willy S macrumors 6502

No matter which Apple hardware I buy, every thing turns out to be a complete junk, except my 2 keyboards and the mice with only one button.

I bought this mighty mouse junk which scroll button failed within a month and now the scroll button on the second mouse is dead.

I´m thinking if it is worth it to get this junk replaced, since I have to travel across my city to 2 times to get it replaced? Is there any chance that the new mouse would last for 1 month?

Maybe I should just get replacements to bother Apple as much as I can because they are selling too much low quality stuff to their customers at too high prices?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Never cared for the "Mighty Mouse". Seemed like poor design and a lot of bells & whistles under the auspices of a single button mouse.

IMO: Microsoft Optical Mouse, for the win.

3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

My Microsoft mouse went bad in under a month. Never bothered to replace it.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

My rev a mighty mouse clogged up after a month so i called apple and they replaced it with rev b mm and hasnt clogged yet after 3 months. When it works, it kicks ass!:D

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Odd. I've got 4 of them, had all of them for years.

6. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Maybe he means just Mundane Mouse not Mighty Mouse?

8. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i didnt know they had different revisions for the mighty mouse! lol. i have a Rev A then i suppose, because i bought one when they came out. my scrollerball gets clogged up pretty bad after a few months, but all i do is take a white piece of paper, and run the ball in circles on the paper with a decent amount of force. that seems to clean out the scroller pretty good! and does well to disgust me in the process with all the crap that was lingering inside my mighty mouse! lol.

mine still works pretty well, but i have pushed it to "backup/travel mouse" status, because i replaced it on my g5 with a logitech mx 518. it works well with my laptop w hen im on the go though!

( sorry im typing so much, i'm testing out this iskin thing for my powerbook keyboard, trying to see if i like it, because it feels a bit weird right now, at least i have 2 weeks to return it if i dont like it )

9. munckee macrumors 65816

I agree that the might mouse is a piece of junk, but have you tried rubbing the scroll wheel vigorously? Mine quits in any given direction every couple of days, but a quick, forceful "scrolling" usually does the trick to get it working again (and alleviates some frustration as well). I think the wheel button just gums up easily.:rolleyes:

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

No MM opinion, but don't go MS--they aren't awful, but the one I've had experience with was rather flimsy. My main mouse is an MX500--now THAT'S a workhorse of a mouse. Has run perfectly in heavy use for 2.5 years. Logitec's drivers are total crap, sadly, but good enough to get by with.

Off topic, but I'm curious about the iSkin--I bought an X-skin for my MBP a few days ago, and although it took a bit of getting used to, I actually ended up liking the feel. Except it's bunching up in the middle, down the line between the TGB and YHN keys. I don't know if that's because it's a bad skin (it fit perfectly when I first put it on), an expected side-effect of having two hands on the keyboard tending to push inward, or because I type weird. How about yours?

11. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

I have a Microsoft Wireless Optical mouse and I love it. No problems whatsoever.

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I prefer Microsoft mice, they work well with macs and everyone I have owned has lasted a long time. The only non M$ mouse I use is a Kensington Bluetooth mouse, its a Pilot Mouse and it works great.

I would recommend any of Microsoft's wireless RF mice they work great.

13. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

makosuke -

it doesnt appear to bunch up, but what i am noticing is that it is retaining heat! my powerbok sits all day on top of an icurve so it gets plenty of airflow, and the computer isnt even under heavy load, but it is still running at 130F!

that is almost 10 degrees hotter than it would run w/o the skin. i like the idea of keeping my keys clean, but not if it is going to heat it up like dante's inferno.

i will try it out over the weekend, and if i dont li ke it i will just return it to the apple store.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I've been using the wireless Apple mice in the past with the iMacs. Didn't really feel a burning need to change but it's only recently that I've really commited to moving totally to the Macs and the MacBook Pro really started me looking at alternative mice. Just been through a Mighty Mouse, a couple of Logitechs (hateful buttons on logitechs or what?) and the wired regular intellimouse and wireless intellimouse 2.0 in th matter of a few days. Definitely prefer the Microsoft wireless one.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=002

I'm using it without any additional software on a MBP. 4-way scroll works as does the middle click and scroll. I don't use the forward/back buttons and they don't seem to work without MS drivers.

15. joebells macrumors 6502

I second microsoft hardware, their software may not be great but I really like their hardware. Wireless and wired they all, and I've used a fair amount of different microsoft hardware, work really really well for me. I am thinking about getting one of their natural keyboards.

16. mcmillan macrumors 6502

I have had a MM since October or November. Like 2-3 months later the wheel started to fail. I used a slightly moisted piece of cloth and cleaned the ball by making it go to all directions. The same happened 2-3 month later, did the same, worked perfectly again. Last time the technique did not work. Had to un-glue the bottom ring, open the mouse, unplug 2 cables, unscrew a few screws, get the 4 magnets out, clean the ball, and then put it all back together, including the difficult task of putting the small magnet rollers back in, and plugging in the cables with a tweezers. Couldn't get the bottom ring back on because it was glued, but some MM have snapping rings, which is the ideal.

Besides all that, I love my MM, I don't think I'll have to clean it again in a while, and if I do, I know the process.

And for the record, we're the ones damaging all those MM with our dirt. :D

17. iGary Guest

iGary

I ran over my Mighty Mouse with my car and posted pisture to the Internet to prove it. ;)

18. nitynate macrumors 6502a

A'men brotha.

Mine has failed 2 times and has then been replaced.

But I cannot live without that stupid wheel. ;)

19. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Oh and those side buttons :eek:

20. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Well, my mighty mouse *worked* perfectly, until I spilled a full cup of coffee on it:eek: :(

21. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip, but this didn´t do anything for my MM. Maybe I´ll bring it to Apple if I have time...

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i cant stand them, my hands are too big and the scroll ball go's in too easyly and is too small.

23. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

24. McGiord, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

No Wireless = No Mighty

I think the Mac's mouse concept should change...because the mouse's tail like a real mouse is only a big bother in anyone's home....BE WIRELESS!!!

WHY GOD ALLOWED MANKIND TO INVENT BLUETOOTH?
    ________
    herbal vaporizers

25. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I never have problems with my mm I dont get what the big deal is.