Apple JunkYard - PC Trade-ins?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by arn, Aug 8, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Here's a rumor that was submitted that I have no way of verifying the information. So here it is...

I work for a company in Texas that specializes in recycling PC parts. We have recently been sub-contracted by Apple for the next three years. From what I’ve been hearing around here is that Apple is working on a program that will let PC switchers turn in their computers to the “Junkyard” in exchange for store credit. Expect to hear something from Apple very soon on this.

2. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

heh, that'll be pretty cool. I'll just go out and buy an empty ATX case for $25, screw in a $5 vid card, attach a $10cdrom and turn it in, claiming that it's a broken pc :)

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Well Apple did trademark the word Junkyard recently......

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    makes sense

can't imagine apple using "junkyard" to refer to any of it's own products...but using it to refer to pc's seems about perfect. running a trade-in program seems pretty intense though( for products with little resale value)...but good for marketing...so there ya go.

5. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

So the puzzle falls into place...

They register 'Jukyard' and sub-contract a recycling company so switchers can have store credits for new Apple products.

Apple must be pretty confident,
    they must have some awesome new products in the pipe that peecheese users want to switch to mac.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Makes sense... I think this is the most believable rumor for 'Junkyard' I have seen so far... (or is this the first??)

Anyways, if this is true... can I give in my old PC even though I'm not a 'switcher' ??

irmongoose

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

8. bunton macrumors member

That sounds funny

Souds funny not like funny haha nice joke, i mena i beleive it but it is great you know if ti is true

Apple is getting pretty harsh and that is cool but if they get to many switchers than they bassicaly switch places with microsoft, Apple would actually be a monopoly but I dont care.

Sony and Apple will mate I tell you*Sappy*Apony*

9. Tommy! macrumors regular

I really hope that Apple will help to recycle their own equipment as well as PCs...

10. Postal macrumors regular

irmongoose:

I imagine that, if it's just a store credit program, anyone who trades in their PC will get credit... it's not like they're going to send someone to your house to check and make sure you're not secretly using an iMac. :p

I'm pretty sure they'll make sure that the PC in question is functional by the way, so just bolting together a few parts probably wouldn't work!

11. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

if i read it right , on the bottom of that page it says that the company that runs it is owned by GE Capital, but it has the Apple financial services logo on the top. is it even affiliated with apple?

12. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Wow...I should go find my old Tandy 1000RLX... $2 credit...hahahahahahaaa

13. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Maybe they dug up all those Lisas they buried in the 80's and are going to recycle them.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Recycling

Actually, Apple, like every other manufacturer, is going to have to provide (or subcontract) full recycling facilities in Europe to comply with European law. Maybe they're just getting a headstart.

15. tliptak macrumors regular

Mabye. Man that would get some attenton.

PC Owners Come Junk Your PC at an Apple Store Near You.

16. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

wow. how did i not see this thread?

this is a great idea. man, will that piss off Microsoft!

Brilliant Marketing!

:D

17. astrocity20 macrumors member

unless they actually pay some good money it'll be useless since you could still use a PC, probly for games or somethin.

18. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

i would LOVE it if this was true. I have an old AMD K6II 333mhz laptop here that is just used to download stuff while my TiBook is with me at school and it runs folding 24x7. If i could trade it in for a bit of credit when i get another mac i would be massively thrilled.

but what would apple or whoever do with the old PCs?? its not very economically sound to trash them but what would you DO with them! Resell them? who would want them! sounds a bit odd

19. Glossybear macrumors member

This is obviously all a part of Job''s world domination plan...

Apple takes hundreds of half working PCs for trade in, and then will all the parts builds a giant super-computer-robot-destroyer and sends it (iBot? JOBS-O-TRON? FujiZilla?) to smash all Apples competion (first MS then the US Governemnt)

Mark my words... Soon we will all bow down our Robot overlord...

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this sounds like a cool idea, but one would think they couldn't give hardly anything for store credit, like a hundred or two dollars... since PCs are so cheap, and apple can't do a lot with the old PCs...

pnw

21. rdas7 macrumors regular

rdas7

Why not? I thought that's what most PC stores did when they sell you one? Am I missing something?

22. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

if apple did that then alot of pc users of older pcs would come in and have a look. They wont get anything for them anyway so why not get something for them and a new computer at the same time.

If you think about it apples whole campaign is aimed at the 30% of pc users who have win95 or win3.1 it is not aimed at XP really XP doesnt have most of the problems they are talking about most of the time

23. Killswitch macrumors newbie

junkyard ad campaign

They could rotoscope in some old Redd Fox video and do a sanford and son flavored ad campaign.

Why'd you buy that PC in the first place, Ya big Dummy.

Killswitch

24. digitalgiant macrumors regular

Re: That sounds funny

Prepare to flame me. Apple is and has been a monopoly for years. You have to use their computers with their OS. At least with M$ you can pick which CPU you want.
    Flame on:p

25. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Re: That sounds funny

Apple simply demands a premium level of hardware integration. Yeah, that's it. Damn the Mac clones :)

but which way does the monopoly go... The OS only being usable with the hardware, or the hardware only being usable with the OS?
    hehe
    pnw