Apple "Just" Renewed Maps and Search Partnership with Google

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During Eric Schmidt's interview at AllThingsD 9, he revealed that Google had just renewed their Map and Search agreements with Apple. Quote per Engadget:
    This confirms rumors that Apple would be continuing to use Google Map data in iOS 5. There had been a number of Apple acquisitions and hirings that have suggested that Apple is actively working in this area. The news also suggests that Google's search remains the default choice rather than Microsoft's Bing which was said to be under consideration at one point.

Article Link: Apple "Just" Renewed Maps and Search Partnership with Google

2. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I guess all the fanboys will be saying this is great now but two days ago they said Apple should use their own maps and Google Maps sucked.

3. macrumors 68020

spillproof

Unless Apple makes their Maps app like a stand alone GPS unit, I don't see the point of Apple making the maps in-house.

+1 for Google Maps. IMO.

4. macrumors G4

*LTD*

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I still think they should. The more self-reliant and in-house they become, the better. And they're moving in that direction.

That said, Google Maps is a very decent product.

5. macrumors 68020

All I want is a turn by turn GPS built in the OS. I can't wait to see iOS 5, there is a lot expiated.

6. macrumors regular

leon44

I'm glad.
    Most people would never dream of searching with anything but Google and to do better than Google Maps would be one hell of an ask of Apple.

I'd love it if there could be a locally stored vector-based map of my country or something, so if I don't have signal I can still see exactly where I am and work out how to get home. Waiting for maps to load around my blue dot is frustrating especially when I know they've all been loaded before.

7. macrumors regular

Add in that Turn-by-Turn Google has on Android (that I miss a LOT from my Droid) and I'll dump the TomTom app for sure.

8. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why do we have the half ass version unchanged since 2007? Turn by turn with traffic please.

9. macrumors 6502a

So I take it that would make the possibility of iPhone users getting the Google Maps Navigation is out of the question if they JUST renewed it?

:(

10. macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's fine, I don't have a problem with using Google Maps for map data. In fact, I trust it the most. However, I'd love turn - by - turn directions. Android has this feature on the default Google Maps app. I'd love to see it on iOS.

11. macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Google maps = good

Map app = bad

Improved map app using google maps = great

12. macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

That's too bad, I was looking forward to a change from the stale Maps app.

13. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

That's what China thought too when they built the Great Wall. And look where that got them.

14. macrumors 6502a

ciTiger

15. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Just as in 'it happened recently' or just as in 'nothing has changed?'
    I hope it's the former because Google Maps for Android blows away the Maps app on iOS.

16. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

what are you doing on the forum worrying about what apple fanboys are saying?

it comes down to whatever is free for the customer and provides better service.

17. batchtaster, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

macrumors 6502a

They became the world's factory, including the manufacturer of iPhones and iPods, and a major economic powerhouse?

And what does keeping Mongolians out have to do with anything?

18. macrumors newbie

.. and they eneded up with an iconic and enduring tourist attraction that drives how much $$$ per year ? ... !!! ;)

19. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Actually it's not really for Mongolians. The very old Great Wall which was built in Qin dynasty back in 2XXB.C. is not the one we can see today. The modern Great Wall was built in Ming Dynasty from 13th to 17th centuries, which is after the defeat of the Mongolians.

20. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Who's worried? The hypocrisy amuses me.

And how many hundreds of years did it take to catch up to the rest of the world after the self imposed isolation?

21. macrumors 6502

Makes sense. Building a legit Google Maps competitor will take a while.

22. macrumors 6502

If you have the TomTom app, then why do you care if Apple has turn-by-turn natively or not? Is Turn-by-Turn on Google Maps for Android better than TomTom?

23. macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

At this point Apple ought to know Google is "enemy."

No reason why to integrate Google's search ad primary search, or google's maps as the primary Map program, except keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

24. macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Turn-by-Turn would make iOS 5, iOS 5. ;)

25. macrumors G4

*LTD*

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Horrible comparison. Yikes.