Apple Keyboard Design

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sierra oscar, Sep 14, 2006.

1. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

I just received my new Apple keyboard (as my original one, whilst still works like a charm is looking worse for wear - I swear there are crumbs in it from meals I've had in restaurants far away).... anyway... being the neat freak I am I wanted to replace it - and whilst this isn't going to be news to most of you - I am a bit miffed at the USB ports being shifted from the sides to the back. It gave me more extension to my add ons was way easier to get to.

Does anyone know why this keyboard design changed?

There is also a bridge bit attached around the arrow keys too - I assume that is purely for cosmetic reasons to keep the appearance 'appearing' cleaner?

On shipping - I ordered around midnight Wednesday/early Thursday morning - and it was delivered first thing today (Friday) that's pretty good for shipping to my location- even on in stock standard items - very impressed with that.

oh...and I'm about to know the pleasures of a two button mouse :)

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i like the keyboard design. everything fits very nicely in the rectangle. the USBs are in the back strictly for cosmetic purposes - they could have put them on the sides but i don't think that would've looked as nice.

i like two-button mice. i think you'll enjoy yours.

3. sierra oscar thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello pianoman - well my old apple keyboard had them on the sides and it looks pretty neat actually - as they are sort of recessed into the front - and peripherals (eg flash drives) are easy to see plugged in. This new change (which I believe is essentially hardly 'new') seems to be a step backward in design.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The ports on the back work well for me, no wires sticking out of the sides of it getting in the way. Doesn't seem any more difficult to get to for me, but maybe if you had it on a keyboard drawer or something it might be less convenient.