Apple Keyboard/Mighty Mouse or...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Razorhog, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I mentioned to someone that I was planning on getting the Apple wireless keyboard/might mouse when I purchase a Mac, and they said they hate them and I should go with the microsoft Keyboard/mouse. What is your opinion of the Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse? I'm a little scared of the mighty mouse's touch sensitive buttons.

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Keyboard is great, the Mighty Mouse tends to go screwy after awhile (or so it seems). I'd get the Apple keyboard and another mouse.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Honestly, the Microsoft mouse is quite nice. I had to config one for a conference room at my university and it just felt so nice. The keyboard was decent, too.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm not a fan of the Mighty Mouse (or the old one button mouse for that matter) due it's shape. I have a Logitech MX510 that I love. Very comfortable and the number/location of buttons is excellent.

The Apple keyboard is about there is, if you want a standard shape. I had to replace mine with a MS "natural" layout keyboard (Comfort Curve 2000). It's pretty nice, and the software for it from MS lets you adjust all the buttons for you Mac easily.

That said, if you want/don't mind a normal shaped keyboard get the APple keyboard. Goto a computer store and fondle a few mice to see what shapes you like. I use an MS one at work and my wife uses one at home; we both like it fine. The Logitech one is greatly superior, imo, however.

5. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Well, I'm currently using a Logitech MX1000 mouse, and like it a lot. I suppose I could get a regular mouse for my windows box and use the logitech on the Mac. As for keyboards, right now I'm using the Microsoft Natural ergonomic 4000, which is really nice too... probably the best keyboard I've ever used but it doesn't have Mac buttons. I'll probably end up using the Apple keyboard and my logitech mouse, even though the logitech doesn't match. I'd like both the keyboard and mouse to be wireless, so I suppose I'll just go ahead and pay Apple the $54 for the wireless combo.

6. phuong macrumors 6502a

the apple keyboard is fine. the mighty mouse is kinda sluggish. i just use a Logitech MX Rev instead.

7. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Wow, not a single vote in favor of the mighty mouse. I'm suprised...

8. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Apple wireless keyboard = Great.
    Wireless Mighty Mouse = Ok but for the price, you can get a much better mouse.

Staples has the MX Revolution on sale for $79 this week, thats only $10 more than a wireless Mighty Mouse. The MX1000 is great as well. I've seen them on sale for as little as $50.

9. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

My Mightly Mouse would rule if it could scroll down. :(

10. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Apple keyboards are great. The Mighty Mouse is not so great - it gives me terrible cramps in my hand and the buttons are a joke. I have a Microsoft "Intellimouse Explorer 2.0" mouse that works great.

11. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I'd also suggest the MX revolution - expensive, but everything you'd ever want from a mouse. I've been using mine for a few weeks, and I get the impression that it's the kind of thing that I'll be using even after my 24" iMac on order has been relieved of its duties.

David

12. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have both MX and VX Revolutions. For some reason, their scrolling is not as good as my MX 1000 Laser/MX 900 BT. I heard some other people also had this scrolling issue. With my PC, Revolution works well without any problem, though. So, I am guessing something to do with the driver or Setpoint software.
    In general, MS mice are good and their drivers are also compatible with Mac. But, the design of MS is so Microsoft-y. I like Logitech's design and ergonomics.
    As far as the BT keyboard, I like Apple's. I have 3 of them and they work like a charm. It does not loose connection even after my Macs are in several days of sleep mode. Apple keyboard is also have a nice feel to it when you type.

13. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I love my BT Mighty Mouse, but I don't love the feel of the wired one. I also prefer the Apple keyboard, personally.

14. parranormal4 macrumors newbie

I love the wireless keyboard but i hate the mighty mouse (1 button...eew) so i use the keyboard and i use the mx1000 (mx revolution isnt out here yet :( ) i love the mx1000 though

15. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Apple Keyboard = Good

Mighty Mouse = Crappiest Apple Product in the Last 10 Years

Don't even bother with a Mighty Mouse they are complete crap they are absolute rubbish, a present for Oscar the Grouch.

16. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

I'm probably taking my Mighty Mouse back to the Apple Store. It just plain sucks.

Though I will miss the 360º scroll wheel. Still, "sluggish" is the right word to describe using one.

-Matt

17. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Oh dear. Using on PC - 24" iMac on order.

David

18. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I've been very happy with the Apple keyboard. I really like the minimalist apraoch. This is my first Mac and I promised myself I'd give the BTMM a fair shot. Ergonomicaly I don't like it as much as my MX1000, but I have not really noticed the slugishness other are speaking of. I'm not really playing any games though. I'm also using Steermouse.

19. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

I love the mac keyboard and the Mighty mouse both excellent products

20. Cowinacape macrumors regular

I'm with you there, I just turned off my MM, and stuck it in the cupboard, and drug out one of my trusty MS Intelimice, the MM was just killing my wrist after a couple of hours. Now I am going to do like the OP and order the wireless MS set. Sorry Apple, but mice just do not seem to be your forte' (sp?)

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

22. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I've got that Logitech Keyboard and Mouse Combo, they are fantastic. I haven't had a single problem with it. The Logitech Keyboard and Mouse set are miles better than the Mighty Mouse.

23. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I'm trying to decide between a wired mighty mouse (which I really like) or a plain, everyday bluetooth mouse. I suppose I should decide soon.

Personally, I like the feel of the Apple mice.

24. wako macrumors 65816

I say buy an Microsoft Wireless Notebook mouse.

The one I bought last year works wonderfully. I never need to turn it off and its been chugging away with the battery it came with since.

I personally dont like the mighty mouse because of the small ball scrolling thing. I guess I never really gave it much time since I just played with it in the store, however I would imagine after a year or two, the sensitivity on the ball would decrease dramatically like the old mouses that had balls in them to detect motion.

25. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Well I think I'll give the wireless mighty mouse a shot. If I don't like it I can always buy something else down the road. That logitech set looks really nice...