apple keyboard problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mattevil, Apr 5, 2004.

1. mattevil macrumors member

Jun 19, 2002
    I can't seem to get the volume and eject keys to work on my keyboard. every other key seems to work(including the number pad below the keys) and my mouse is still powered.
    does anybody know something that could have caused this?
    I just want to know if its some setting that has changed (don't remember changing or installing anything diffrent lately though) or if i should make use of my apple support.
  2. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    maybe ur keyboards fried my cat got to the coed on mine once not a pretty sight sight apparntely to a cat usb cord looks alot like a rat but if ur still under waranty call up apple
  3. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    I had exactly the same problem a while ago. This was back when I was using Jaguar. They worked fine for a while, then stopped working until I reset the computer again.

When I installed Panther, the problem went away. Probably more likely because of some corrupted file being replaced than a bug fix. So although I didn't fully investigate the problem when I had it, reinstalling the system will probably fix it (there's probably an easier method, but I'm not sure what. For a short term fix, try restarting). You could also try creating a new user to see if the problem occurs there. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware problem.

If you don't want to do that, there's an alternative you might be interested in. Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and open and Although not ideal, these give you access to what the keys do in the menubar (to remove the menus, command-drag them off the menubar).
  4. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
    Try This

I was having problems with my Apple keyboard. I could invoke Single User Mode at start up, but after that, the keyboard ceased to function. The problem was that the permissions for the USB driver for the keyboard had become corrupted. Try the following: open a terminal window, and type: sudo diskutil RepairPermissions /

That worked for me. Good Luck.
  5. mattevil thread starter macrumors member

Jun 19, 2002
    well I ran TechTool and it fixed it so there. at least it wasn't the keyboard. Did have to use a paper clip to open the drive.
  6. CLAUDE macrumors member

Jan 27, 2004
    Keyboard a bit noisy

I was wondering if you guys have any tips to make the keyboard less 'noisy'.

I got an ibook a few weeks ago. The keyboard is ok except on the upper right corner (around the F12/eject button) and upper left corner (around ESC). Basically, there seems to be too much of space between the keyboard and what's underneath it. If you press the little thing that keeps the keyboard in place, the part of the keyboard goes up and down.
    Imagine when you're typing sounds a bit like my former 5 year old compaq presario 1234.....Anyone any ideas on what's worng and how to fix it ? Should I send it back to Apple?