Apple Keyboard Updates

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ventro, Sep 23, 2006.

1. ventro macrumors 6502a

I really want some new keyboards from apple.

The lettering on their current keyboards is ancient. They need to adopt the same fonts they are using on their laptops - VAG Rounded Light, in the new sizes too, also centered on the keys. Perhaps very soft backlighting with an ambient light sensor?

Also, I would really like a thin, anodized aluminum "Pro" keyboard to match the Mac Pros and Cinema Displays. Perhaps using the same design cues as the cinema displays and new ipod nanos (front edge and back edge rounded, with sides flat) Design wise, Apple doesn't really use transparent plastic anymore on any of their products.

When you think about it, keyboards are an integral part of the human interface with the computer. It's kind of strange that Apple, a company that cares very deeply about the tactile interfaces of their products, would let such a vital element to their interface stagnate. They are innovating greatly with the keyboards to their Macbook line, but fail to recognise their desktop keyboard market.

2. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

I think you have a valid point and I agree with you.

-Matt

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Transparent plastic on:

iMac
    MacBook
    iPod

So it's still a very much used material. But they do need to update the look of their keyboards. Maybe not with the ambient light sensor like you proposed since most people use their keyboard in rooms with the lights on, but a definite update is needed.

4. ventro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not really. That transparent isn't revealing much of anything. I'm talking about about transparent plastic that reveals the mechanics behind it (ala the first iMac).

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

they use opaque plastic

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

[SARCASM]Oh, sorry, it's opaque not translucent.[/SARCASM]

And it's not really opaque, anyway. It only looks that way because of the white plastic that's encased in it.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Except that it's not a translucent plastic on that model of the iMac. I think the correct word would be frosted. You can still see in, but it's not totally visible like looking through a window. On the iMacs now, they use a transparent plastic.

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i'm quite happy with my keyboard. it's simple and has all the buttons you need in a nice layout.

while the ambient light sensor would be cool, i think it would be too expensive. i believe the light sensor depends on chemicals that Apple might not want to release so widely - it would require more stringent environmental regulation on their part (and they're already getting slammed by many environmentalist groups).

who knows - maybe we'll see a quiet keyboard update at MWSF or even before the holiday season.

9. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

I agree Ventro.

One of the contributing reasons for me to buy a White MB is the fact that I will have matching peripherals (this isn't the primary reason).

The MBP is a lovely looking machine - and it would be better married with an external silver anodised keyboard.

Why such an image conscious company like apple doesn't streamline such things is a bit odd to me too.

10. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I wouldn't want an aluminum keyboard. That's just gay.

I actually really like the Apple keyboard. I don't think they should make the fonts as on the laptops. All I'd like to see is ambientlight thingy and backlighting.:D

11. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

I appreciate the aluminium keyboard would not look favourable to you Josias - for what it's worth I think it would take some time getting use to, if they went this way. But it should in some way match the MBP or MacPro product line - whatever that looks like perhaps - maybe a totally clear interface.

As an aside - I do take exception of your use of the word 'gay' though (and yes I know loads of younger heterosexual males use this word in this context) but it does reinforce a negative reaction to a human condition. English may not be your first language however.

Disclaimer: ...and I know loads of ppl say - political correctness has gone too far with word usage - but it's only the ppl who aren't affected by a particular oppression who usually drag that old excuse out.

12. ickystay macrumors regular

Was this supposed to appear in a sarcastic font? Maybe talking computers would say it in a sarcastic voice?

Just wondering.

13. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

looks like this post should have been in the "sarcastic brackets"!

14. crjackson macrumors member

They need to make the keys less stiff. I get cramps from having to press so hard on these keys. If I don't press hard enough then the key does not register:-/

I've always loved keyboards that come with MicronPCs, I've never had a keystroke not register on one of those, I've had many with the mac keyboards.

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

screw the keyboard, how about a new mouse. I hate the mighty mouse. They need something functional.

16. Sam0r macrumors regular

The keyboards are terrible.

They're great when they're brand new, then after about 4 months of usage the keys become stiff as hell.

I'm currently using a Logitech S530 wireless set, its MUCH better than the apple stuff.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have one sitting in the box waiting for the iMac to come :D

18. nitynate macrumors 6502a

No, I am pretty sure the keyboard is asexual...

19. Sam0r macrumors regular

I'm in the exact same situation :)

Using one set on my PC atm and the new (RMA'd) set is still in the box. Gotta love Logitech's RMA procedure.. "Ok just give us the model number and we'll send you another one.. dont bother sending the old one back".

Quite funny, especially when the old one started working again...

20. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Sorry about the gay remark.:) And no, 3ngl1z 1z n0t my før2t l4ngu4g3...:D

True, the Cinema Displays are sexier and smarter than Paris Hilton :p, and the MacBook Pro and MacPro are awesome. I actually though about it, and though I can't imagine a good looking keyboard in aluminum, Apple have such design geniuses, that they'd make it look awesome.

So, bring it on!:D

21. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

But it's not...

The transparent plastic on the keyboard doesn't reveal anything mechanical either. The current keyboard is in fact, very much in line with Apple's current iMac design (which does have the same/similar transparent plastic all the way around it right to the edges).

I DO agree however, that some new designs and styles with added functionality is well overdue. But it is like everything else, there are two sides to the argument and some will say its like that old saying: "If its not broken, don't fix it."

Apple have had a lot up their sleeves recently and I don't think we'll see a new design of keyboard until they release a newly designed iMac (Although I appreciate that isn't the only computer it has to match - this is why a few different designs would be good).

David

22. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Gay Hijack Alert!

You should all stop complaining. And stop hoping for a better future too. I have to use an Apple Extended Keyboard II at work. Totally lesbian.

23. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I'd like to see Apple keep the minimalist aproach with their keyboards. MS and Logitech got a little carried away with adding special features buttons. I absolutely hated when they messed up the F keys (sorry Windows flashback)

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The correct term for the former keyboards would be "translucent" - allowing light, but not detailed images, to pass through.

Transparent means "allowing light to pass through so that objects behind can be distinctly seen" - which the keyboards were not.

25. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

That must make the white keyboards thuper!