Apple keyboards with notebooks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Oct 3, 2005.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Anyone use their Apple keyboard with their laptops? I'm thinking about getting an iCurve and a keyboard, but I don't really see what the advantages are. Comments

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I use the Apple Wireless Keyboard and an iCurve with my Powerbook. Its more comfortable to type on. I assume its at least slightly ergonomically better. It has a number pad over on the side, which is nice when you need it.

Plus if you're getting an iCurve, the laptop sits up too high to type with the regular keyboard.

If you mean the advantages of the Apple Keyboard over other brands... The Apple Keyboard is more compact than most, and better looking, I personally think its the best looking keyboard available. Plus you can get the bluetooth one and get rid of the cords.

3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The PowerBook keyboard has the best feel of any notebook computer I've ever used or tried.

4. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

if you have your computer on a desk most of the time then an icurve and external keyboard probably have a better look and feel to them, but if your like me and you use your laptop all around then its probably not worth the money

5. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

if you don't see any advantages why are you thinking of getting it??? :p

i bought the BT keyboard for my PB (i did see advantages at the time)and I haven't used it at all

6. aspro macrumors 6502

I have the iCurve + apple keyboard and I think its great as the iCurve raises the screen to a nicer level, but when it is that high it is quite unconfortable to use the PB's keyboard.

7. jung_offender macrumors member

Here's my setup that takes the place of the £30 iCurve. Two holes drilled into the surface of the desk and top with a t-nut each (from the top). Thread an 8" carriage bolt into each t-nut (secure from the bottom with a regular nut if you want but it's not necessary). Using some pliers bend a coat hangers so hook around the back of the desk and catch the front of the notebook.

I used rubber weather seal to soften the wire 'hook' and some self-adhesive felt furniture-leg tabs to save the surface of the PB from scratches.

Click here and here for pictures.

8. aesth3tic macrumors member

no icurve...

Before i got my ACD, i bought this targus stand from buy.com. It was only 13.00 and I think it is much better because you don't need to get another keyboard. It raises the notebook to the perfect height for typing and lets air get underneath your 'book. Plus it can swivel at the base. Just an idea.

9. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i use my powerbook at university, so when i come back to my room, i can place my powerbook on the desk (no icurve yet) and connect the keyboard using bluetooth, then i have just 1 USB cable to connect (goes to hub for printer and mighty mouse) and the gigabit ethernet cable. so with only 2 cables to connect, i have an ideal desktop solution which is really comfortable to work with for long periods. the only thing i really want is an icurve, because my neck hurts when im on the 'puter for a long time. possibly (when i get more work) i shall also get an extra screen, but being a student i really dont need it. (got to spend the loan somehow:D)

i really like this setup, its the best of both worlds....i say go for it.

tastic

10. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I have the Apple Bluetooth keyboard along with a MS Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth with my Powerbook resting on a little shelf built into my desk for at home work and it works like a charm. I really recommend that mouse, fits the hand perfectly (unless you're left handed) and has extra buttons that are great for expose, it is a MS product but that doesn't necessarily mean it's crap just look at Office X. :)

11. dcv macrumors G3

IMO the PowerBook keyboard is excellent. For a while I considered purchasing a 20" ACD to accompany my PowerBook, so I went to the store to also try out an Apple bluetooth keyboard.... I didn't like the feel of it at all. Too springy and too wide for comfort, since I'm much more accustomed to typing on a notebook. I'm also not keen on the plastic look. I think it's a shame that Apple don't make an alternative keyboard to complement the aluminium design of the ACD and PowerBook/Power Mac.

12. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I like the iCurve/wireless keyboard setup on an iBook or PowerBook, though the PB keyboard is fabulous in itself while "on the go," as we so often are.