Apple Keyboards

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Oct 27, 2006.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Although I love just about everything in OS X, I hate Apple keyboards. I have been using Macs and Apple keyboards/mice/peripherals for a couple of years now (daily and for prolonged use), and after speaking with several co-workers and my peers, we've come to the following conclusions. The keys on Apple keyboards are stiff and sticky to push down. They require a lot more effort than keyboards made from PC vendors to type down on. This isn't a gross over generalization, but I have never found any keyboard harder to type on than the new white Apple keyboards. I find my typing speed and comfort on every other keyboard I have knocks the socks off my Apple keyboard.

While if you're not using your Mac all the time, this isn't a problem, but if you do a lot on your Mac, this does become a large problem.

The most comfortable Apple keyboards are the Powerbook and iBook keyboards... err Macbook Pro and I'd guess Macbook keyboards as well.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

*Shrug* I got myself a pretty white apple keyboard for my mini, and I like it. It's just as good as any other keyboard I've used (although my laptop keyboard beats all!)

3. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Surely though, jadedmonkey, you can attest to the extra effort needed to push down on the keys. I type faster than average (100+ WPM using the Apple kb) so perhaps that also has an effect on my taste in keyboards.

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

The biggest complaint I have about Apple keyboards is that there are areas of the keyboard that are uncleanable and get disgustingly filthy. I recently pried off all the keys on our G5 keyboard and cleaned them, and cleaned the top of the keyboard directly under the keys, but there's still gunk, dust, hair, and food crumbs in the side cracks and bottom of the keyboard between the clear plastic area and the white area that are uncleanable.

As for pressure though on the keys - I don't have a problem with the keyboard. I think Logitech makes the best keyboards in terms of key pressure; I just wish I could combine my Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (best layout) with the key pressure from a Logitech that has the Apple specific keys on an Apple keyboard. Wow talk about the perfect keyboard for me...:D

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I used apple keyboards for a very long time, they are fine for normal use but you do need a hand rest. If your into gaming like to play games from time to time its worth buying another keyboard.

6. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Yeah, I am addicted to FFXI Online and using the kb so much in that game prompted me to buy a Logitech kb. ^^

7. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

my old performa keyboard was real stiff, got used to it though, now everything feels nice and light, a lot of cheaper PC keyboards feel positively rattly

i know what you mean though, a lot of my friends like really light keyboards and find my apple ones a real pain :rolleyes:

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

[The best keyboard ever was the one that came with the old "IBM PC". That was the old 4Mhz 8-bit computer that IBM sold with the 5 1/4 inch floppy and no hard drive. Those keyboard sold for about $250 and had solid metel cases, weight in at about 8 pounds I think.
    These had the same xact "feel" as the IBM selectric type writer. They were great except for the price. People today just will not pay for a keyboard made with a heavy aluminum cast metal frame.

If you don't like the Apple keyboard you can improve it with some effort. Pry off the keys and apply some dry lubricant to the part of each key where it slides plastic on plastic. Look in bicycle stores for some teflon based spray that is not oil based and leaves no liquid on the part. Harken "sailcoat" from a marine hardware store is good stuff too. These products use a liquid "carrier" that evaporates nearly instantly leavinf an invisable dry film

9. Silentwave macrumors 68000

so you like short-stroke keyboards? me too.

Kensington has a keyboard called the SlimType for Mac. You might find it useful. I might try one out when I grab a desktop next year. I already have a short stroke desktop KB, but it is laid out for DVORAK.

10. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

ah, short stroke keyboards? that's the name? good deal

11. iShane macrumors 6502a

Really? I love the Apple Keyboards. When I type on a PC keyboard I feel all disoriented.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've never had a problem with Apple keyboard.. except in the switch to the modern keyboards from the Apple Extended Keyboard II. The keys on the modern ones are much "shorter" and closer together, which ****ed me up for a little while until I got used to it. When I type on Dell or IBM (bundled) keyboards, they feel all flimsy and cheap under my fingers. Probably because they are. :rolleyes:

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The Apple keyboards suck big time. People may be suckered into them by the way they look but after a while they start binding. It strikes me as a typical current Apple product - excellent design, looks and first impressions but in reality very poorly engineered and not really that well built.

I got myself one of these, and a recent addition being two Flatfeet feet at the back of the keyboard to raise them to exactly the angle I wanted, as well as (placebo maybe) a small measure of shock absorption. That and the shorter-travel laptop type keyboard makes me hammer less at the keys and just feels nicer than the Apple KB even with extended use. Definitely superior to the Apple POS. Even the audio keys work.

14. menziep macrumors 6502a

Logitech have the best keyboards and Microsoft Arnt far behind!

15. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

What do you mean by disoriented?

16. imacintel macrumors 68000

I really love apple keyboards, they have a keystroke that isn't too big but isn't too small. With my microsoft keyboard, I feel like I have to push my fingers down all the way.

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I hate logitech keyboards. Too sensitive for me.

To be honest, my favorite keyboard is a Dell Keyboard, I'm typing on one right now. I guess I like cheap stuff. :)

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Dell's horribly cheap feeling keyboard actually holds up better than the Apples.

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The keyboard is my least favorite Apple product. There are worse KB's, but there are better ones too. I think the KB is one of the more 'personal' parts of the computer (duh).

I find the Apple impossible to rest my hands on, or near. I actually like the Mac Logitech wireless slim KB. I am not a great fan of Logitech, but this is a winner for me. The majority of my time is spent using an Bella EZKeyboard Pro Series (not sure what 'Pro' means, since they do not have an amateur series). That is a very nice keyboard for FCP.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I agree that the binding issue is a real pain, but frankly I just change my keyboard when it gets too bad. They get pretty mucky after a while, what with the dust, hot rocks, rubble and sawdust...

21. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Really? I think most of feel that with M$ kb they are easier to touch but Mac kbs make your hands sore.

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

That could be a bit cryptic I guess. This is what I mean.

Attached Files:

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What on earth is the point of having the spaces between the keys lit up? :confused:

24. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Apple keyboards don't get any muckier than other keyboards - you can just see it (more) - I usually replace them, although now I use an iSkin b/c I just can't stand to 'see' the mess

I understand the binding and other issues that give ppl the feeling Apple keyboards aren't as good as their counterparts - but perhaps it depends on the user too - some of us who learnt to type on manual Hermes-typewriters etc - have learnt to type with pressure. I remember the pain it was to learn to 'touch' type with a tea-towel over the keyboard and one's little finger on the 'a' key was just about impossible to strike (it felt).

However, if you have learnt to type on a keyboard - and that's all you know - I can see how these sensibilities are crucial to your purchase choice and typing experience.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk