Apple Laptops / No Right-Click

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnthonyKinyon, Sep 5, 2006.

1. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have really been wanting a Mac laptop since the Intel models came out, well even before that. One potential thing I don't like is the mouse. There is no right-click on the built-in buttons. I know you could plug-in a USB mouse and use that, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a laptop, especially when on-the-go? Other than that, I love the MacBook and MacBook Pro's I've seen and played around with.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions? Anyone have a realistic workaround?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You put 2 fingers on the trackpad and click at the same time. That equals a right click on the MacBook Pro and MacBooks. It works quite good, I really like it.

3. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Well that seems pretty simple. :) Thanks for the tip! Does same thing work in Windows (using Boot Camp) if anyone happens to know?

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Not when I tried.

5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i think it's only the 17" MBP that has that. I'm not sure about the Macbooks but my 15.4" MBP seems to lack this feature (i dont know why) so i always use CTRL+Click

6. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the update. I spend most of my time in OS X anyway but I do some gaming on Windows so that would not be good. I wonder if there is a solution to this that's free for Windows use. (Why can't Windows just be as intuitive as Mac OS X? :D ). Trick question.

7. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

I'm considering a Mac Book Pro for gaming but even a MacBook would be great for taking notes, doing things on the go and playing some non intensive games from time to time.

8. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Wouldnt you use an external mouse for that anyway? I find it really hard to game on a track pad.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

All MacBooks use the two-finger tap on the trackpad as the right click in Mac OSX. In Windows, the most current release of Boot Camp included a driver that makes clicking whilst holding down the right-hand command key equal to right-click.

10. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

No it isnt, the feature was introduced to the 15s during an os update...even before then there was a hack.

11. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, Chundles!

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

There are also some little third party utilities for Windows that will enable the same behavior IIRC. Can't remember the name(s) now, but a Google search should turn up results.

13. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

This works on all Macbooks and MB Pro's, but you have to enable it in the System Preferences before it works. Similiar to tapping the trackpad for a click.

14. admanimal macrumors 68040

Let's not forget the old reliable Control+Click which still works to achieve the same effect as a right-click.

15. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

true, my 1Ghz PowerBook has this feature after I downloaded iScroll :D

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Two ways:

Holding down the Ctrl key when you click counts as a right click.

Putting two fingers on the trackpad will make your click count as a right click.

17. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

Doesn't work in Boot Camp, as others have said, but it does work when running Windows in Parallels Desktop.

18. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

Find these please??? I've got everything including the FN keys all working, iSight, KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT, sound driver issue (speakers + headphones always on), now all I need is the trackpad functionality!!!!!

19. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

With the latest bootcamp, I believe FN+Click is a right-click in windows. At least it is on my machine!

20. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

you should update your software because my 15.4 MBP does it. it was in an update in the last few months.

21. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

the 2-Finger Right Click method is awesome! I like it a lot more than actually having a right mouse button, It's hard to imagine, just use a macbook or mbp with this feature and you'll love it