Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
So what happens to the laptops now, G5's cause a huge engineering problem and the g4s are fairly maxed out

powerbooks just got an update (a little recently) but they arent that much faster then the ibooks, that keeps apple from significantly updating the ibooks less the nearly match the powerbooks at a much lower price.

*note: I know powerbooks are quite a bit faster than ibooks but they also cost considerably more people want bang for their buck.

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
My guess would be that there will be some kind of moble G5 chip made by IBM. Kinda like the moble chips that Intel makes that use less energy and are about the same speed as the P4. A G5 Powerbook would need some kind of special cooling or something. Maybe it will be the first water cooled laptop? It will be interesting to see how they resolve this problem. I can't wait to see the next Powerbooks. I'll definitly buy one. For shure.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
AP_piano295 said:
So what happens to the laptops now, G5's cause a huge engineering problem and the g4s are fairly maxed out

powerbooks just got an update (a little recently) but they arent that much faster then the ibooks, that keeps apple from significantly updating the ibooks less the nearly match the powerbooks at a much lower price.

*note: I know powerbooks are quite a bit faster than ibooks but they also cost considerably more people want bang for their buck.

I would be very suprised to see a G5 anytime soon. I guess it's possible that Jobs could say G5 PB's are here at WWDC in June, but they wont ship for 3-6 months or something, but I doubt that.

But what I'd really be looking for out of the PB is an upgrade in the G4. If they put in the Freescale G4's, they can bump up the bus speed (a major limitation right now) and the possibility for dual core chips also exists. I expect the next upgrade to have Freescale G4's.

I'd honestly wait till WWDC and see what happens. As far as the Apple line goes, the notebooks are the only thing left in need of an upgrade as I recall.

Addendum: I'd say it's very likely to see an iBook upgrade in the near future but maybe less likely to see a PowerBook upgrade. I feel as though they really need to upgrade them at the same time or the PB is getting the shaft, except that they did exactly that last time and just did the iBook first. My gut also tells me that the last PB upgrade was just a stop gap till the could get the Freescale out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.